Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

New to Kansas: Will my 93 octane-tuned LS1 go slow on the dragstrip with 91 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to Kansas: Will my 93 octane-tuned LS1 go slow on the dragstrip with 91 octane?

Hello. I am the original owner of a 2002 Z28 and I just arrived from Columbia, SC. I am currently residing in Manhattan, KS, and I want to go to the June 13, 2014, Test and Tune at Heartland Park in Topeka. However, I noticed that all of the gas stations that I've been to in Kansas only have 91 octane as their premium fuel. My Z28 has been dyno tuned for 93 octane fuel and only has the basic external bolt ons. Will my quarter mile performance be significantly affected by the lower octane fuel? If so, then am I correct to assume that I should get a new tune to account for the 91 octane? Thank you in advance for the info.

Last edited by damon_Z; 06-08-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I got the dynotune on June 13, 2014

I traveled from Manhattan, KS, to Independence, MO, for a dynotune by Justin Kalwei. The first pull on the Dynojet was a disappointing 267 RWHP! Then, he made 4 additional pulls with each pull (except the last) showing a pick up of HP and TQ. The best pull was #4 and the numbers were the following:

338.8 RWHP
349.32 RWTQ

This is from a 2002 A4 Z28 with the basic external bolt ons. My last tune in Columbia, SC, around 3 months ago resulted in similar numbers, 336/352 RWHP/RWTQ respectively.

So something happened between that last dynotune and this latest dynotune. Justin said it wasn't the change in octane, because the Z28 wasn't pinging. Justin did say that the Z28 was running very lean. So, I'm at a lost as to how the Z28 had "lost" around 80 horsepower, but I am happy for getting this dynotune done to reclaim it. I'll have to research this in the forums later...

Quick Reply: New to Kansas: Will my 93 octane-tuned LS1 go slow on the dragstrip with 91 octane?