Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Haha, you literally must've walked right by me then. The Fox body belongs to a friend named Jeff, it's a 565ci Dart block plus an F2 Procharger. That car is an animal. Did you get to talk with him at all? I was standing right near him most of the night, can't believe we still missed each other.

Yeah, that LT1 car is definitely PPM. He was parked down by the entrance earlier in the night but moved to the end when they starting shutting down around 9. It belongs to another friend named Bob, we call him Corvette Bob because he's had a bunch of C3s and a C4 for as long as we've known him. He bought it last year from a guy that had two PPM Z28s (a '93 and a '94), this one had 29k miles at the time.
i briefly looked at the fox body, seen that car around for the past several years..last i saw it was a big block chevy but no blower. I thought i remember it having a big block ford in it for a while before the 565 went in? Funny seeing all that motor on 4 lug axles still lol.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by BFK86
i briefly looked at the fox body, seen that car around for the past several years..last i saw it was a big block chevy but no blower. I thought i remember it having a big block ford in it for a while before the 565 went in? Funny seeing all that motor on 4 lug axles still lol.
You are correct on all counts. It had a stroker 460ci Ford (513ci I think?) for many years, then he did the BBC last year which was about a 200-250hp gain in power. It was also built for N2O, so he had a 300 kit for it but never sprayed it. Over the winter he decided to change the cam, upgrade some other internal parts for boost, and add the Procharger. It was 750hp NA, and with the current pulley it's supposed to make about ~1200hp, but it hasn't been dyoned yet.

No kidding about the 4-lugs! Haha. I was giving him a hard time about that last night too. Thing is, even on the 28" tire it doesn't really get much traction at any double digit speed, so nothing with the studs or axles is likely to break. When the mini-tub happens, I'm sure he'll do something with this. Probably switch to a 9" too (it's an 8.8 right now).
Old 05-28-2018, 06:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, you literally must've walked right by me then. The Fox body belongs to a friend named Jeff, it's a 565ci Dart block plus an F2 Procharger. That car is an animal. Did you get to talk with him at all? I was standing right near him most of the night, can't believe we still missed each other.

Yeah, that LT1 car is definitely PPM. He was parked down by the entrance earlier in the night but moved to the end when they starting shutting down around 9. It belongs to another friend named Bob, we call him Corvette Bob because he's had a bunch of C3s and a C4 for as long as we've known him. He bought it last year from a guy that had two PPM Z28s (a '93 and a '94), this one had 29k miles at the time.
I didnt get a chance to speak with the owner. By the time i got there alot of cars had already left or were starting to leave so i wanted to make my rounds before it was shut down completely. I recall a gentleman with a beard wearing a ballcap, perhaps that was yourself or the owner.

I went to another show yesterday with a buddy whom has an orange C3 over at sweet baby rays in elk grove. Saw a few really nice F-body's including a guy with a 94 firehawk in maroon. It was a cool show but that lot is fairly small.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by omaha stylee
I didnt get a chance to speak with the owner. By the time i got there alot of cars had already left or were starting to leave so i wanted to make my rounds before it was shut down completely. I recall a gentleman with a beard wearing a ballcap, perhaps that was yourself or the owner.

I went to another show yesterday with a buddy whom has an orange C3 over at sweet baby rays in elk grove. Saw a few really nice F-body's including a guy with a 94 firehawk in maroon. It was a cool show but that lot is fairly small.
You might have seen Steve, I think he was the only one in our group wearing a hat. He actually owns the silver '79 Malibu, but I think he was sitting closer to Jeff's Mustang for most of the time.

I might make it to the Skokie/Old Orchard deal tonight, but I'll probably be there pretty late if I do. Still have a bunch of stuff to get done today.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ill be goin over to rand red hots in des plaines (rand and river rd.) tonight for the cruise night if anyones interested in going.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I did make it to Old Orchard yesterday, but not until just after 8pm. About half the crowd was gone, but still a lot of cars. Someone told me that SPRAYED01 had been there earlier, but I must've missed him.

Jeff and Steve and those guys normally go to the Rand Red Hots deal every Tuesday. I'm not able to make that one.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got another Fbody in the group, a friend of mine i work with was interested in 4th gens and i found this one on craigslist recently, went with him to look at it..got a pretty good deal on it IMO. Has typical bolt ons, finishline trans with 3600 stall, rebuilt rear end and 3.73 gears. Told him to make a username here and post it up.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

^ That NBM car looks nice! I think I may have seen that ad too, as the car does look recently familiar.

I've been looking for something this spring myself, not quite sure what I want yet but another 4th gen is certainly a possibility.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ That NBM car looks nice! I think I may have seen that ad too, as the car does look recently familiar.

I've been looking for something this spring myself, not quite sure what I want yet but another 4th gen is certainly a possibility.
yeah, I told my friend if he didn't buy it I was going to lol..he had it listed for $6500 and came down to $6k. Nice car for the money.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh and BTW, I came across this one while looking for his car..https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...577079347.html

you can get yourself a twin to your 98 lol..although that engine bay pic doesn't quite jive with the description.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BFK86
oh and BTW, I came across this one while looking for his car..https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...577079347.html

you can get yourself a twin to your 98 lol..although that engine bay pic doesn't quite jive with the description.
If I bought another '99+ 4th gen, I'd really want one that's already had the roof replaced. I'd rather not deal with that issue again, especially for a hardtop car. Plus I'd want an auto. I wonder why that car needed a repaint at just 66k miles? The typical places for rust in the engine bay do look clean, perhaps it was a southern car that suffered some sun damage.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Yeah, for a '94 you're already exempt either way, as long as the car was previously in compliance.

A few years ago they introduced the "EA" (expanded antique) plates just for this reason. You can drive it like a normal car during the spring/summer/fall, and the AV rules only apply during winter. These plates are more expensive, but only about half the cost of normal plates. Probably a good idea if you plan to drive the car regularly.

But, in all honesty, I've had regular/original AV plates on my current '71 for the entire 10 years I've owned it and I've never once been bothered about this. Granted, I rarely drive the car more than 500 miles per year, but I know a lot of other guys with old cars like this who've never been hassled either. I have two friends who are local cops and both have said that this isn't something you'd get bothered for unless they were already specifically looking for a reason to pull you over. I guess if you were driving the car all the time and the same cop saw you day after day, perhaps there might be a problem. Otherwise, who's to say you aren't taking the car on a road test after performing service yourself?
Wow I missed a lot on here so far this Spring...I must not be getting the notifications. Anyway, good to see everyone is out at the cruise nights again. As far as the insurance thing, you can get exempt from emissions testing if you have any form of show car/race car insurance (in Illinois at least). It is fairly limited on the mileage and usage restrictions however most of us aren't driving these cars that much. (For my '00 WS6 I am on the 1200 mile per year plan on an agreed value policy for $250 per year...great deal and agreed value prob higher than it's worth). Illinois just changed their system to apply for the exemption as well....you don't even need to send proof of the insurance like you used to have to.

Couple updates:
This Friday is the RM car show combined with their Spring block party. Standard time of around 5-8pm however i unfortunately will be out of town.
Lombard every Saturday night from 6-10pm starts this weekend. Again i'm out of town this weekend but will be making this one with bfk any chance we get.
Wauconda Cruise - select days but apparently 500+ show up - first one is June 19th and assuming the weather is good we should have about five of us cruising up there ---> https://www.waucondacruisenight.com/

Hope to finally see everyone this year.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Taprxxt
...As far as the insurance thing, you can get exempt from emissions testing if you have any form of show car/race car insurance (in Illinois at least). It is fairly limited on the mileage and usage restrictions however most of us aren't driving these cars that much. (For my '00 WS6 I am on the 1200 mile per year plan on an agreed value policy for $250 per year...great deal and agreed value prob higher than it's worth). Illinois just changed their system to apply for the exemption as well....you don't even need to send proof of the insurance like you used to have to.
I do have the right type of insurance for this, I've just never bothered to send in the application for exemption with this particular car. In the past, I remember a form to fill out and needing to send a copy of the declarations page of the insurance policy. How is it handled now? Just an online form or something like this? I've just been lazy and waiting for the automatic exemption that comes with AV status.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:00 PM
Teching In

I do have the right type of insurance for this, I've just never bothered to send in the application for exemption with this particular car. In the past, I remember a form to fill out and needing to send a copy of the declarations page of the insurance policy. How is it handled now? Just an online form or something like this? I've just been lazy and waiting for the automatic exemption that comes with AV status.
Haha ya it was a bit of a pain gathering all that info in the past. Now you just submit the online form at this link ---> http://illinoisairteam.net/sporting-...cle-exemption/ Just some general info needed with no attachments. I got the email confirmation with my exemption within a few hours. I know a couple guys that have applied this year without issue. It honestly seems too easy ... I wonder if they'll require further proof going forward if it is getting misused as this is the first year for the change.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Haha ya it was a bit of a pain gathering all that info in the past. Now you just submit the online form at this link ---> http://illinoisairteam.net/sporting-...cle-exemption/ Just some general info needed with no attachments. I got the email confirmation with my exemption within a few hours. I know a couple guys that have applied this year without issue. It honestly seems too easy ... I wonder if they'll require further proof going forward if it is getting misused as this is the first year for the change.
Thanks for the link.... wow, this is nothing like the old "Race Car/Show Car Affidavit" I remember from years ago to get this sort of exemption. You're right, it seems too easy. They don't seem to specify any required documentation even if you choose the manual form option. I'll be surprised if it stays this simple going forward.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another Lombard cruise night in the books..hot as hell and humid but good turnout. Saw some nice f-bodys there as usual.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Just an FYI if any of you folks make it back to MP this season: they have moved the show to the lot southeast of the previous location (so it's on the other side of RT 83 now). Not sure exactly why or for how long, something was mentioned about work being done to the other lot (but no work is visible yet). I thinking it might have more to do with the new construction on the other side of Northwest HWY.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Just an FYI if any of you folks make it back to MP this season: they have moved the show to the lot southeast of the previous location (so it's on the other side of RT 83 now). Not sure exactly why or for how long, something was mentioned about work being done to the other lot (but no work is visible yet). I thinking it might have more to do with the new construction on the other side of Northwest HWY.
Thanks for the heads up. I have actually never liked the MP lot as it is way to narrow and it has the worst sapping trees lining it ... however this is probably still a train lot so not much different. I'll have to check it out one of these weekends coming up.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:54 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thanks for the heads up. I have actually never liked the MP lot as it is way to narrow and it has the worst sapping trees lining it ... however this is probably still a train lot so not much different. I'll have to check it out one of these weekends coming up.
Oh yes, the tree sap is a serious problem. In fact, this is the main reason why I don't even bring my cars there until the latter part of August when things start to dry out for the fall. The sap clean-up is a nightmare otherwise. The new lot is still a train lot and still a bit narrow, but the tree content is MUCH less - so that's an improvement.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Looks like that pewter SS is now listed for sale, both in the classifieds here and on Craigslist.
Well, again, it's been a while since I've been here. The pewter 01 SS did sell. Good news is it was purchased by my son! Another one in the family. We were up at RM a few weeks ago. Got canceled tonight. I'm heading up to the Camaro Superfest next week in MI. Should be fun!!

Quick Reply: Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm