Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Thinking of purchasing a Chicago area beater 05 full sized chevy 1500

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Thinking of purchasing a Chicago area beater 05 full sized chevy 1500

Thinking of purchasing a Chicago area beater 05 full sized chevy 1500 truck.

Sight unsean internet deal.

Well I say beater because it’s a all wheel drive and I’m assuming it’s the winter car being exposed to road rock salt.

The vehicle actually comes from Bativa,IL which is a suburb so I’m assuming they use just as much rock salt as Chi-town.

What are the chances of the undercarriage being totally rusted? Or will the factory undercoating protect a vehicle 14 years old?
this could be a bad idea because the outside of both lower rear quarter panels are primed.

I think this vehicle was used year round w/ 230K miles on the clock.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm about 20 minutes from there, and I'll tell you if it's been here it's whole life, it's going to be bad. Alot of these trucks the frame rots thru and colpases right where the bed and cab meet. The bed and cab will contact each other as it starts to rust thru and sag. I've personally welded a regular cab frame on these for this very issue. If you're not familiar with the salt belt cars I wouldnt start now. Get some undercarriage pics of frame and trans lines/brake lines/fuel lines etc and you'll get the idea. I have 7 cars and every year I have to replace a rusted leaking brake line on mine or my family's cars. (all way less than 200k miles) I keep spools of line and fittings of all sizes in my garage.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes it's been registered in Batvia all it's live. it's actuelly a 1500 express AWD kindof a unicorn down south.

I should have learned my lesson the last vehicle purchase (e-bay deal w/ a 100% rating for over 7 years) lied about the rust.

this vehicle also AWD came from upstate,NY rural Buffalo area I guess I was thinking the roads don't get as much rock salt as in the city doe's.

anyway the A-arms are really rusted now I'm concerned about trans/brake and fuel lines breaking will do a close inspection.I will post a image of said rustie vehicle

here's a image of the express's I'm concidering undercarriage. I see lots of surface rust also some mud on the frame. what would you do in a situation like this stainless steel wheel on a grinder then prime & paint.

how doe's it look?
I hope it's a decent roller as in body/frame wise.

I would like a 5.3 engine w/ some mildiss cam and exhaust away from the trans pan heating up the fuild, maybe electric fans it would be a sleeper for sure.
thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 05-25-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heck if it crazy cheap adn you know what your getting, then why not. For reference I bought a similar type rusty 2001?1500 extended cab 5.3L 220k miles with a blown transfer case for $300 and drove it home. Great oil pressure and didn't get hot. That was a no Brainer decision/deal.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea I'm willing to pay roller $ however I think it will sell for more than I'm interested in paying but you never know what it will sell for. so I'm still looking. but will proballey pass.

how doe's the underneth look.

the frame & body panel appears to have undercoating.

edit also the express was vandalized I guess older GM NAV/radio (whole dash was ripped apart) units have high value to thieves.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by i420tom
I'm about 20 minutes from there, and I'll tell you if it's been here it's whole life, it's going to be bad. Alot of these trucks the frame rots thru and colpases right where the bed and cab meet. The bed and cab will contact each other as it starts to rust thru and sag. I've personally welded a regular cab frame on these for this very issue. If you're not familiar with the salt belt cars I wouldnt start now. Get some undercarriage pics of frame and trans lines/brake lines/fuel lines etc and you'll get the idea. I have 7 cars and every year I have to replace a rusted leaking brake line on mine or my family's cars. (all way less than 200k miles) I keep spools of line and fittings of all sizes in my garage.
I believe the trucks and vans share the same frame, the problem you describe is that limited to just trucks?

I've seen northern winter beaters w/ a lot of rust on the bottom outside body panels this vehicle has primer on the rear panels probably covering rust.
curoius what the panels under the plastic ground effects would look like. I'm thinking the salt water simply seeps inbetween and rust from under the plastic panels probably even accerated rusting since the plastic is traping the moisture.
a few years ago I remember chi-town ran out of salt then started spraying beet juice are they back to the salt?
thanks for advice.

Last edited by badmfkr; 05-29-2019 at 07:25 AM.