Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Penalty/fine in IL for not having cats??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again i will say there is absolutely no way that one of these cars will pass a sniffer without cats, with the set epa limits it's not possible. You can lean the hell out of the car put alcohol in your tank and it still won't come close, sorry but i'm going to have to call bs.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Cats suck...they are independent, don't like to cuddle, etc. They pretty much just meow, crap in a box, and eat all of your food.

And in about a week, my car won't have them either I figure for every Hybrid Honda on the road, I need to be making up for them. It is kinda like the Lion King. Circle of life. You know the song...

no cats once spring hits.....

st8 thru exhaust

hooker headers
hooker no-cat y-pipe
no mufflers

i agree with the hybrid honda thing u said.

sorry everyone... i respect the environment but i gotta have the sound and the power.............

haha
Old 12-30-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbadblackws6
no cats once spring hits.....

st8 thru exhaust

hooker headers
hooker no-cat y-pipe
no mufflers

i agree with the hybrid honda thing u said.

sorry everyone... i respect the environment but i gotta have the sound and the power.............

haha

Have you ever driven a car with wide open exhaust like this? Do you have any idea how loud that is going to be?

Also... why would you run a y-pipe if you don't intend on using mufflers? It doesn't sound like you have completley thought this through.

I hope you know what you're getting yourself into. Otherwise, you're in for a rude awakening... literally.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
I know of two F-Bodies that passed without cats. A 93 and a 95 T/A. Both had long tubes with ORY pipes. I don't just talk out of my *** and make **** up. I also saw a Fox body pass after a few injector swaps at a shop I used to work at. It was a blown and built 5.0. I think he went from 42lbs to 36lbs to pass. Don't get me wrong most times a tune or injector swap is not enough. These guys were lucky. Also I never said that the cats do nothing for smog, they do reduce emissions.
If you're talking about sniffer tests, this post is pretty hilarious.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One more thing bigbadbalckws6... your info says St. Joseph... are you moving to Illinois or something? Where is the car registered?

Guys - if his car is registered in Michigan he won't have to worry about ANY testing at all... sniff, visual, computer... nothing.

He would just have to worry about an IL cop pulling him over because he's too loud or something... I run LT headers, ORY, and Corsa catback... I'm in MI, never any sort of testing. I've driven the car in several states, and never gotten pulled over for any reason, and never had any problems with the exhaust. He'll be fine.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

im getting cats...for SOUND reasons alone...that and my dad is an IL State Police officer, as well as a former mechanic, he says to get the cats....avoid the hassle of the impounding of the car...delete the rear 02's or whatever so you can PASS EMISSIONS and enjoy the freakin thing! lol...the cats arent that much of a nuissance or anything, just something thatlll help ya sleep better at night, atleast thats how i see it. when he was a kid him and his buddies would run straight pipes...so many times has he recommended it for me lol but eh not my style. if you get them or not it wont make much difference...you can always purchase shells to place over the pipe for the appearance...otherwise if your not worried about some1 looking under the car....F*ck 'Em and stay away...
Old 12-31-2004, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
....avoid the hassle of the impounding of the car...
I've personally never heard of this happening to anyone in IL. And I would think the ONLY way that any cop would go that far is if they really had it in for that specfic person for some reason.

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
the cats arent that much of a nuissance or anything
They can be, depending on the design of the rest of your exhaust system (making it very hard to fit them in) and the size of your cam. If your cam is big enough, it doesn't matter how well you tune it the cats will clog often.

Personally, in the last 8 years or so I've had quite a few cars without them. I've been pulled over a number of times for various stuff, and even with a loud exhaust (and raw fuel smell & lopey cam) no cop has ever made mention of the cats, ever.

If you're working with a stock cam and stock style exhaust system/routing then go ahead and use 'em (I'm leaving them on my Z28). But for any extremely aggresive setups I'd just leave them off. IMO.

Quick Reply: Penalty/fine in IL for not having cats??