Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Illinois people...do you have a modified exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,286 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by FastTrnsAm
Why should something that does NOT affect your emission output make you fail the emissions test?
This is exactly the point that I focused on in the e-mails I sent. Local noise ordinances are already in place to deal with insanely loud cars should the cops choose to. It is beyond reason to fail a car during a state EPA inspection for things that have nothing to do with harmful combustion byproduct output.

What's absolutely funny about the whole thing is, an aftermarket catback will actually help to reduce overall emission output on a per trip basis as most systems provide a slight increase in MPG acheived. Less gas burned for the same distance with equal emissions levels and the final result is....... LESS total emissions! But doing so would have caused you to fail the IL EPA test!? Uh....yeah, that's smart!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this attempted bill shows just how truely clueless the people in the goverment that are trying elimate the "evil" automotive hobby really are! They attempt to hurt the hobby by trying to pass into law, a bill that has absolutely not one ounce of logic to it if you really look at how it would work. There already are laws for loud exhaust. Loud doesn't make a car polute more, but yet lets make a car fail emissions test just because it is louder then stock. That will "help" to clean up the air we breathe. Or let us allow poluting companies to buy and crush old cars for "points and credit" so they can go on poluting.

I am so fed up with this total CRAP! Why must we as automotive hobbiest constantly be attacked? Why the hell can't we just be left alone to enjoy our hobby? Because there is always some a$$hole out there that has a bug up his a$$ when other people NOT hurting anyone finds something to enjoy time doing. The half of the answer is as I said elsewhere. There are always idiots and pigs (and I dont mean police) that ruin it for everyone and get cruise nights rep of a bunch of idiots with overpowered cars that will cause trouble.

This may be an unpopular thought here, but I am going to say it. I think responsible people need to start pointing out the idiots when the cops show up. Its the pigs that throw their trash all over. The ones that feel the need to burn the hell out of the tires or do donuts while there is a lot with 100's of cars and people around that get the hobby the rep it has and the reason we see stupid bills like this going through our goverment levels. Its also the reason good cruise spots are becoming so few because cops will no longer let people gather to enjoy the cars. I am sick of it. In the last few years I have seen a number of good cruise spots that have 100's of car show up get shut down because of a few idiots that feel the need to "flex" their muscle to show off in front of everyone or because some pigs feel it is perfectly fine to throw trash all over the damn place.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amen to that brother

Quick Reply: Illinois people...do you have a modified exhaust system?