Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

pulled over for window tint, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i doubt they can pull u over with the windows down and tell u to put them up and then give u a ticket. also its wierd u got pulled over a night, i always heard the police cant pull someone over at night for tints around here. however once i was at the station with my windows down, but my back window is like 3% and some lady cop asked me to put my windows up then told me that the tint is legal, i guess it was a warning.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,157 Likes on 752 Posts

Cops can make you put your windows up... Haven't you guys been to court before? We have like no power. Judges get pissed off if you start to get lippy. Best thing to do is suffer the tickets, or put on lite tint, or remove the tint. I put 30% on the daily driver on top of the factory 70%...
Old 09-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Cool Tint Fix!

Here'sWhat You Do, Get A Pic Of Your Car Before Tints If you Have One, Show Up To Court And Give Em The Pic And Say They Were Removed-Problem Solved!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My best advice for you, seeing how you are a minor, is to remove the window tint. You got lucky by getting let off. The next time you happen to get pulled over,window tint or not, you may most likely get ticketed, as in a fine. Since you are a minor, you will have appear in court with a parent or gardian.You say your dad is **** and will take the car away. What about when he has to go to appear in court with you? I'd say he shouldn't get mad at you for a fine for window tint, only because it is a non-moving violation, therefore it will not go on your driving record and your liscence will not be suspened. This is from experience. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

You're lucky. I got pulled over TWICE for tint in my 86 S10 here in Michigan. I got two tickets and there were $50 fines PLUS 2 points on your license! I nearly lost my license because of it. They ended up changing the tint law to a fine only and removed the points. I had one cop go past me as I was waiting to turn out on a main road. He pulled off to the side and I wondered what he was doing. As soon as I got by he pulled out and pulled me over ONLY for tint. I was not speeding or doing anything else. I had 35% on my side windows. When I got a 2nd ticket I asked if I could remove it and not get the fine or points. They said I wasn't issued a fix it ticket and I had to pay if I removed it or not. After that I cut all but the top 4" off the windows. I won't tint any side windows again because I don't need the hassle. I'm surpised the cop DIDN'T write you a ticket if he pulled you over.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

I know this is an old thread, but my girl just went through this (except we know the cops in this city real well and had it waived). She would have had to pay $125 to KEEP HER TINTS! You heard it right. If she paid the $125 fine, nobody inspected her car. If she paid the $25 fine, a cop would inspect her car and make sure the tints are off.

If the SAME cop pulls you over AGAIN, he's just being an *******. You're probably gonna get harrassed regardless of your tints in this case. So, I'd rather have him **** with me about tints then giving me a ticket for 5 over or something like that.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Restricted User

7-8k on insurance isnt even close to right. I paid $3700 a year on my own plan when i was 16 with a 500 deductable...
Old 09-23-2005, 03:19 AM
TECH Resident

I thought window tint was a secondary offence and they couldn't pull you over for just that?

Who knows who cares.. you have to pay to play and if you can't afford it, playtimes over.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say just get rid of it, why give the cops a reason to pull you over? My $0.02
Old 09-24-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
I thought window tint was a secondary offence and they couldn't pull you over for just that?

Who knows who cares.. you have to pay to play and if you can't afford it, playtimes over.
WERD, but I got pulled over for tints AT NIGHT by a Rochester cop and for no other reason. He let me go though, so that was cool.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

ive got 2% on my camaro and never once got pulled over for tints when i lived in MI hell i thought it was legal up there opps...

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 09-25-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ImportPatrolWS6
tint, is not a moving ticket, it does not show on your record, so leave it on if you like it. Tint tickeks here in IL are like 20-25 dollars, but some town's like in cicero out here, they will make u peel it off in front of them or they will tow ur car. (well atleast it happened to a buddy of mine)
i would like to know what town gives out 20-25 dollar tickets for tint.... hell all of my tint tickets that i got in IL were $75+
Old 09-25-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kpowr82

If the SAME cop pulls you over AGAIN, he's just being an *******. .
How is doing his job being an *******?

He's given a ticket book, goes to work everyday, has a set of orders he has to follow and pulls someone over for illegal tint. Now he's an *******?

What if he comes back with nothing to show for all day? Then he gets **** from his sergeant, fellow officers think he's lazy and he never moves up the ladder. On top of all that taxpayers are upset that the city/village isn't getting enough revenue from traffic stops. **** rolls downhill and it comes back to that officer.

He'll pull you over again and again. He's not an *******, but he is covering his ***.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsz28
If it is legal, leave it alone. If its not legal, you are breaking the law. Dont depend on a cop being in a good mood. There job is to write tickets.
Your state does not allow tinting? That is insane. The cops there sound like they don't have enough work on their plates if all they can do is pull over people who have 35% tints. Its a stupid law anyways, that is too ****.. sounds like something you'd only hear about happening in "florida" where other bizarre **** happens. Anyways, you can't fight the system so if it is illegal to tint then take it off.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSPEEDY

He'll pull you over again and again. He's not an *******, but he is covering his ***.
pulling him over and over again for the same offense to cover his *** can be considered harassment to some.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'm closing in on a used ride, and my plan would be 35% all the way around. I do like 25% but I don't want to get into BS with cops. Chicago cops are mellow, but 'burb cops are tightazzes.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

i was thinking about 35% for the fronts to match my factory tint in the back on my blazer how dark is that?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

35% is dark enuff that you can tell it's tinted, but you can still make out someone's features.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSPEEDY
How is doing his job being an *******?
You're telling me that wasting his time pulling somebody over for window tints is doing his job, when more than half the other cars on the road are speeding? If he goes back to the station with nothing else to show for the day, then I'd assume he was sleeping on the job.

Maybe he should be pulling over those soccer moms, talking on the cell phones, who don't signal while changing lanes at 60 MPH because they were too damn busy talking on the phones to realize they missed their intersection.

They are much more of a threat to everyone on the road than my window tints are. This isn't the Racers Lounge so I'll stop now.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
pulling him over and over again for the same offense to cover his *** can be considered harassment to some.
can be considered by someone doing something illegal yes but certainly not harrassment in a court of law.

as long as the officer has probable cause, a judge will side with him over and over.

any good attorney can tell you that would be a horrible argument in court.

"judge, my client feels he's being harrassed because when breaking the law he has been stopped by officer friendly on several occasions for the same offense".

Quick Reply: pulled over for window tint, what to do?