Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Illinois New "Traffic Control System"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Illinois New "Traffic Control System"

This was plastered all over the news in like March that they will be putting up cameras and things in construction zones to catch speeders ... I havent seen anything resembling any action on this plan until tonight...

I was driving home from my girlfriends house (south on 94) and saw two signs which simply stated Speed Photo Enforced (or something like that) so naturally I slowed down...

Does anyone know anything about this new "Traffic Control System" Where are the cameras? How much over the speed limit before they mail you a ticket ? After all you can't very well do the speed limit on the Dan-Ryan without pissing off just about everyone in sight...

Anyway just a heads up to everyone and hopefully someone knows a little bit more about it!!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luna
This was plastered all over the news in like March that they will be putting up cameras and things in construction zones to catch speeders ... I havent seen anything resembling any action on this plan until tonight...

I was driving home from my girlfriends house (south on 94) and saw two signs which simply stated Speed Photo Enforced (or something like that) so naturally I slowed down...

Does anyone know anything about this new "Traffic Control System" Where are the cameras? How much over the speed limit before they mail you a ticket ? After all you can't very well do the speed limit on the Dan-Ryan without pissing off just about everyone in sight...

Anyway just a heads up to everyone and hopefully someone knows a little bit more about it!!
The photostations are fairly obvious. They are Vans, and they have tall Antennas mounted on them. Just don't speed in a contstruction zone.... not likely to get the ticket dropped because of all of the attention it's getting, and they cost $375.

I have seen a few vans in the STL area.... and even those signs... just don't speed in construction zones, or don't speed past big vehicles parked on the side of the road in construction zones.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Launching!

I saw them here in the Bloomington area too. They are posted on the I-74/55 construction. Didnt see any vans yet but it's only a matter of time. I got blown by by at least 4 semis while doing 54 in the 55. Those damn things will pay for themselves in 1 day! Curse them lazy cops! hehe
Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Remember the 1st ticket is 375.00. The 2nd is 1000.00 and a 3 month suspension of your drivers license.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

These "construction zone" speed limits are

I drive I94 every day to and from work. The last couple of weeks they've had a 10 mile strech in the Lake Forest area posted as a "construction zone" with a 45mph limit and the entire right lane blocked. Here is my issue.... I never saw a single worker; I assume this must have been an overnight hours type project because day after day there was never any activity anywhere along that 10 mile span during my drive time. Sure, now that it's open again I can see where they did some patch work, but lets get real here. Why in the hell do we need a 45mph zone where NO ONE is working? I can understand reduced speed zones when workers are actually in the zone working. But to expect rush hour traffic to slow to 45mph for no reason at all just because the signs are posted is unacceptable. I have no problem with the speed zones in the I-pass construction zones, because there are actually workers doing a job there almost every time I go past. But seriously, there is ZERO reason to have full time 45mph limits in a non-full time construction zone. I think the best solution would be to treat these zones just as they do with many school zones, have the reduced speeds only in effect when a light is flashing signifing that workers are present.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

i saw some cameras like the ones in the ipass lanes under a over pass
Old 09-06-2005, 10:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I am making a concerted effort not to blow thru zone construction zones any more. I'm trying to break my record, I have never been able to go over two years without a speeding ticket since I was 24.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I am making a concerted effort not to blow thru zone construction zones any more. I'm trying to break my record, I have never been able to go over two years without a speeding ticket since I was 24.
Your insurance agent must love you! That or your lawyer.

Camera's are BS, they just need to randomly patrol the area more frequently. I know the State Rides in my area are equipped for this type of patrol, they have a Mustang, a Pewter Camaro, a Yukon, and a Explorer....
Old 09-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

I could be wrong here, but im pretty sure i remember hearing that those cameras can only be used to give tickets while workers are present. Not positive because its been awhile since i saw this stuff in the news but it may be something to look into.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those tickets are only good if they can positively identify you.

I do believe if someone else drives your car, the ticket is sent to your home, and all you have to do is prove that it wasn't you and the ticket gets dropped.

And One guy I work with got a ticket early in the morning when no workers were present...
Old 09-07-2005, 05:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by SporkLover

And One guy I work with got a ticket early in the morning when no workers were present...
That is absolutely

Yeah, they're really looking out for the well being of the workers when NO WORKERS ARE PRESENT.

I develop more and more hatred for lawmakers every day.... may they burn in hell.....
Old 09-08-2005, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

All about the money. Safety second and the excuse to take your money.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Your insurance agent must love you! That or your lawyer.

Camera's are BS, they just need to randomly patrol the area more frequently. I know the State Rides in my area are equipped for this type of patrol, they have a Mustang, a Pewter Camaro, a Yukon, and a Explorer....

I can't go 6 month's without a ticket for the past 2 years. My lawyer really loves me. My last ticket was $400. I currently have one for 60 in a 35. The officer couldn't keep up on a back road and caught up to me at a stop light. No sirens or anything until he was behind me at the stoplight. Total if you ask me. I know if I fight it the Judge will believe the Officer over me, so what choice do I have in keeping it off of my record. Pad the lawyers pocket, probably golfing buddies with the DA and gets 'em fixed for a paid 18 holes and a few drinks.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

I remember stumbling on a website a year back in the UK that had a license plate disguiser. It fit over the license plate and you push a button to turn it on and it somehow turned into a mirror. One could push the button again to turn it off in the hairy moment a cop came behind you. I always wanted to get it but now I cannot find it anywhere.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by CashMoney
I remember stumbling on a website a year back in the UK that had a license plate disguiser. It fit over the license plate and you push a button to turn it on and it somehow turned into a mirror. One could push the button again to turn it off in the hairy moment a cop came behind you. I always wanted to get it but now I cannot find it anywhere.
James... James Bond.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

i was accually thinking of building an lcd lic plate cover that when you push a button it blackens, similar to a calculator

Quick Reply: Illinois New "Traffic Control System"