Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Bubbling on the roof.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help butting in this one. I am a 14 year bodyman that has the same problem with mine. But my car is also a rebuilt title, meaning it was totalled before I got it.
When i got it, it was blistering, I thought it was from a bad repair so I repaied it. It came back, so I repaired it again with differant material thats made for that SMC pannel. It came back again only even bigger.
So now this winter I'm cutting the whole pannel off and glueing a new pannel on. The pannel in going to cost me 400 bucks. And it's a ******* pain to cut it off. I have to remove the hatch and T top trim. It's a messy job but I'm tired off messin with it.

the pannel is made of a SMC resin and fibers that give it strength. If someone put regular body filler in it, it will blister again. they have to use a special material for SMC. I did that and it did not work so I give up. It's coming off for a new pannel!

Good luck everyone. I hope everybody has better luck than I did!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JRracing
I can't help butting in this one. I am a 14 year bodyman that has the same problem with mine. But my car is also a rebuilt title, meaning it was totalled before I got it.
When i got it, it was blistering, I thought it was from a bad repair so I repaied it. It came back, so I repaired it again with differant material thats made for that SMC pannel. It came back again only even bigger.
So now this winter I'm cutting the whole pannel off and glueing a new pannel on. The pannel in going to cost me 400 bucks. And it's a ******* pain to cut it off. I have to remove the hatch and T top trim. It's a messy job but I'm tired off messin with it.

the pannel is made of a SMC resin and fibers that give it strength. If someone put regular body filler in it, it will blister again. they have to use a special material for SMC. I did that and it did not work so I give up. It's coming off for a new pannel!

Good luck everyone. I hope everybody has better luck than I did!
That sounds like a big pain. If you're not too distraught during the whole process, take some pics of the progress for us. This topic has been brought up here numerous times, so maybe some firsthand pics will help answer a lot of those questions.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Well as promised I would release the name of the place doing the work. My car is currently down there they are replacing the sail panel for free. No cost to me what-so-ever. When they are done I'll let you all know the job quality.
Penske Chevrolet on 96th and keystone in Indianapolis, IN.

Nate
Old 12-24-2005, 10:13 AM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Im a body tech and been in business for 20 years i read a little of this post and i can give some details on whats going on.I got a service bulliten on the problem that gm is having with this.The problem is the bonding materail that they use to bond the smc roof panel on to the car is the glue is gasing off and making the paint bubble/blister.The only way to repair it correct is to cut off the old roof and bond a new one on.Now some people will think won't it do it again.The bonding materials that are on the market are far better than whats under the roof of are cars.As for taking to the dealer for repairs most of them are in the dark ages so be very careful.We have done gm warranty work but its been a while.If you get gm to warranty your roof you should get a shop of you choise to repair it.If you choose to paint it will fail in time.Just get it in the hot sun.BTW there is a lot of dealers that don't even have body shops anymore so it gets sublet to local body shop so like i said be careful on were your droping off your car.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tuff
Im a body tech and been in business for 20 years i read a little of this post and i can give some details on whats going on.I got a service bulliten on the problem that gm is having with this.The problem is the bonding materail that they use to bond the smc roof panel on to the car is the glue is gasing off and making the paint bubble/blister.The only way to repair it correct is to cut off the old roof and bond a new one on.Now some people will think won't it do it again.The bonding materials that are on the market are far better than whats under the roof of are cars.As for taking to the dealer for repairs most of them are in the dark ages so be very careful.We have done gm warranty work but its been a while.If you get gm to warranty your roof you should get a shop of you choise to repair it.If you choose to paint it will fail in time.Just get it in the hot sun.BTW there is a lot of dealers that don't even have body shops anymore so it gets sublet to local body shop so like i said be careful on were your droping off your car.

when I get the invoice I'll check the parts numbers to see if they use the new bonding stuff or if they re-use the stuff causing the bubbling.. Thanks for the warning.

Quick Reply: Bubbling on the roof.