Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

E85???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85???

Has anyone seen or tried the E85 at the pumps. Being that its on $2.30 it make me tempted to try. What do you guys think?
Old 10-23-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to have a 'flex-fuel' type vehicle which the OE manufacturer says it can use, ...

http://www.agriculture.state.ia.us/e85vehicles.html

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php
Old 10-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try it and let us know how it is
Old 10-23-2005, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Even in the fex fuel vehicles that can use it power id decreased and milage is decreased such that gas is still cheaper to run.
Alcohol race engines run a differnt alcohol and are setup to take advantage of the high octane, alcohol burns MUCH cooler so you have to burn signifigantly more of it to equal gas power something over twice as much this is possible because alcohol brings in some oxygen of it's own reducing air requirements for a given HP level, plus it acts as a chemical intercooler allowing more air to enter also.

I went through all that because as soon as someone tries to tell the truth about this crap someone else brings up race engines that run methanol not the ethanol in this, and that too runs a lot cooler and in the same amounts of fuel would produce drastically less power than gas BUT because it brings in it's own oxygen to the mix you can burn 2.5times as much of it with each stroke. Either is tough on engines too, very dry and hard on the oil film in the cylinderwalls hard on oil hard on many fuel system components and attracts water a very bad thing for vehicles that sit any length of time before burning through a tank of fuel.
I am all for developing our own energy resources this is just not a good one to try.
Also there are reports about how it takes more fossil energy to produce this stuff than you get back out of it and the only reason the cost is lower than gas is LARGE amounts of your tax dollars go into making it.
BTW I am reasonably sure no f-bodies were ever flex fuel vehicles.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even at that price you're going to lose money
E85 is only about 70% as efficient (some say 80% some say lower, 70 seems to be what I've read most) ... premium right now is what 2.70? 2.80? If that's the case... at 2.80/gallon the break even point is 1.96/gallon for E85 ...

so paying 2.30/gallon while you pay less to fill up.. you're going to be filling jp more

Plus our cars are not designed to run on flex fuel... while I've heard it will work... it's a matter of how long before stuff starts corroding because of the 85% ethanol I think...

either way 2.30 a gallon you're going to lose money in the long run because it's still higher than the break even point (even if E85 is 80% as efficient at 2.80/gallon for premium the break even point is still 2.24/gallon so you'd STILL be losing money)

The links posted above are great... also search the PCM section and Racers Lounge for E85 posts... overall... I wouldn't put that **** in my car.... but that's just me... heck there are people that put 87 octane in their cars... I would never do it... but ...
Old 10-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdblackz28
Try it and let us know how it is
Thats alright i need my car right now, you can tell me
Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On a non-flex vehicle I bet E85 runs FAR too lean for the pcm to compensate even besides fuel system damage I would worry about engine damage.