Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Who's Still Driving their FBody?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005 | 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Had to drive mine this year because my beater died. 4000 stall and nittos dont like snow.
Old 12-09-2005 | 08:16 PM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cephiros
sucks huh?
More than anyone who doesn't have to drive their's will ever know.
Old 12-09-2005 | 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

I drove mine in 2" of snow and it wasn't fun so I took my money for a rear end and bought a winter beater. I can only imagine how shitty it would be to drive it in 7" of snow.
Old 12-09-2005 | 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by green28
mine's in the garage and will stay there till a nice rain rolls through and washes the salt off the roads next march-april.
Ditto

97 STS Formula auto 3.42
Old 12-09-2005 | 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

im driving mine, also looking for a beater right now, word is theres a 5speed sunfire nearby for $600, im trying to find that
Old 12-10-2005 | 06:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by maddboost
4000 stall and nittos dont like snow.
Old 12-10-2005 | 08:25 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

i was driving the firebird but now i'm driving the beater truck. i driven in the snow before in my black camaro and white one. it wasn't that bad though
Old 12-10-2005 | 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine is in the garage under blanket and cover and will stay that way till it's sunny and warm out
Old 12-10-2005 | 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've driven camaros in the snow for 8 years now. granted they have all been mostly stock cars but I just toss on the second set of wheels with the snow tires on them and I don't have any problems. Actually I find it fun driving in the snow, countersteering and drifting around turns. lol. Also the ONLY time I got stuck was when I hadn't put my snow tires on and got caught in an early season snow storm with Yokohama AO32R's on the car!

Hell an 18 year old kid by my house got his LT1 camaro stuck on the street on thurs. I pulled up in my car and drove him home to get a shovel and give him a hand. He was a horrid driver! he doesn't know how to ease into the throttle and had almost bald high performance summer tires on the car! I have to drive his car back to his house and told him to get some snow tires and learn to ease into the throttle.

IMO.. ALL of the people that I see getting stuck in a camaro or firebird has nothing to do with the car itself... its because they are driving on summer high performance tires or they just don't know how to drive.
Old 12-10-2005 | 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is tucked away in my garage with its cover on and a heater next to it lol for those cold night to keep the garage warm lol. Wont see sunny light till prolly speed inc. open house in 06'. I drive my 95 Grand Prix anyways all year round. It isnt that bad either it does good in the snow. The TA is the weekend cruiser.
I saw a 94 or newer but a LT1 firehawk today and i about had to follow the guy and ask him why he was driving it and it was covered in road salt . But too some there just a car lol.
Peace rob
Old 12-10-2005 | 07:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I've driven camaros in the snow for 8 years now. granted they have all been mostly stock cars but I just toss on the second set of wheels with the snow tires on them and I don't have any problems. Actually I find it fun driving in the snow, countersteering and drifting around turns. lol. Also the ONLY time I got stuck was when I hadn't put my snow tires on and got caught in an early season snow storm with Yokohama AO32R's on the car!

Hell an 18 year old kid by my house got his LT1 camaro stuck on the street on thurs. I pulled up in my car and drove him home to get a shovel and give him a hand. He was a horrid driver! he doesn't know how to ease into the throttle and had almost bald high performance summer tires on the car! I have to drive his car back to his house and told him to get some snow tires and learn to ease into the throttle.

IMO.. ALL of the people that I see getting stuck in a camaro or firebird has nothing to do with the car itself... its because they are driving on summer high performance tires or they just don't know how to drive.
For many of us, the reason we store these cars in the winter isn't because we can't drive them in the snow, it's because we don't want to.

Many years ago I had an '89 Formula 350. I had to drive it through one winter. Wasn't really bad at all. All you need is good all-season (or snow) tires with some weight over the axle. That, and you have to be used to driving a RWD car....and up to that point in my life RWD was all I had ever owned.

These days, I choose to leave my F-body in the garage over the winter purely because I don't want it to be exposed to salt or any bad weather. Hell, I won't even drive it in the rain....
Old 12-10-2005 | 08:11 PM
On The Tree

When I had my 96 Z28 I had to drive it during the winter. I sucked with the Kumho's in the snow. Now I can afford to have a daily driver and I keep my TA in the garage for the winter. Still needs washed and put under cover.
Old 12-10-2005 | 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I could afford a winter car too but I don't want one. I enjoy driving my car no matter what the weather is like. Its annoying as hell to me when people brag about their car and let it rot in the garage. Unless its a race car, putting a couple thousand miles on a car a year it NOT driving it thats wasting it. Just like buying your dream house then choosing not to live in it, or buying your favorite food and not eating it, or paying for a lap dance and not watching it. but thats just how I feel and I know I'm in minority especially on this board. People act like its a sin to Drive their cars here most of the time.
Old 12-11-2005 | 02:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I could afford a winter car too but I don't want one. I enjoy driving my car no matter what the weather is like. Its annoying as hell to me when people brag about their car and let it rot in the garage. Unless its a race car, putting a couple thousand miles on a car a year it NOT driving it thats wasting it. Just like buying your dream house then choosing not to live in it, or buying your favorite food and not eating it, or paying for a lap dance and not watching it. but thats just how I feel and I know I'm in minority especially on this board. People act like its a sin to Drive their cars here most of the time.
Personally, I find it annoying as hell when people tell me that I’m “wasting” my car. That is just plain ignorant.

There is nothing wasteful about letting the car sit in the garage during bad weather. Actually, if anything, it’s wasteful to drive it around in the snow/salt. Why? Because you are accelerating the car’s rate of decay. All those generations of F-bodies now sitting in junk yards didn’t get there because people only drove them when it was nice out and left them sit in the garage too long. Most of them ended up there because the cars were beat up and rotting away from harsh climates…some others were totaled in accidents, which is also more likely to happen in bad weather. On the other hand, when you go to a local cruise spot and see a mint, original (unrestored) 20+ year old F-body parked there, I assure you the only reason why it made it that long and stayed perfect is because it was spared from most of the harsh weather and generally sheltered from the elements.

Look at the tons of cash people spend these days to restore old muscle cars. Just think, if they had bought the car new and kept it out of the elements for most of its life, only driving it in nice weather, then they could have avoided the $60K+ full restorations.

Personally, I don’t enjoy driving period when it’s raining or snowing. Driving is just a chore when the weather is bad. The roads are too unsafe to do any spirited driving, and the weather just sucks to be out in. So I’d rather not put the wear and tear on a car that I really love in conditions where I’m not able to have fun driving it.

I guess it’s just a matter of personal preference. I get a lot more pleasure out of driving my Z28 for a couple thousand perfect weather miles a year and it looking/feeling/driving perfect for every mile and every show, rather than driving it every day and watching it slowly rot away winter after winter.

For those of us that plan on keeping these cars for decades, and keeping them looking mint, the only options are either: 1) avoid bad weather. 2) do a full restoration later. I’ll go with option #1.
Old 12-11-2005 | 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Mines in the garage rotting
Old 12-11-2005 | 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rotting here too....Heck I barley drive my GTP if I don't have too..
Old 12-11-2005 | 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

I got a 94 Cavalier winter beater but I end up fixing it more than driving it. Took out my 02 WS6 last friday, had to start in 3rd gear a couple of times the car wouldn't move out of 1st and 2nd, getting traction in the snow with 4.10 gears is a bitch.
Old 12-16-2005 | 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires. drove to and from work and then to and from school in 10" snow without any problems...no added weight in back just full tank and snow tires. oh traction control and a manual tranny help too.
Old 12-16-2005 | 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

I drove the TA the last 2 winters.

This one it is sitting out. Just bought a 97 Plymouth Voyager for snow travel.

Old 12-16-2005 | 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I long hauled the the power tour this year also drove to vegas, Pheonix, SO Cali and many other places in my old camaro. All the road trips were a blast but the first people whining were my friends that don't drive their cars whishing they could drive them long distance like there was some penealty of death law that hung over their head if the car ever got dirty. I just can't grasp the mentality of tourturing yourself like that.

For me.. If I drove something other than my Camaro in the snow, rain, or any weather really, driving would be a chore. I love driving the car. the feel, the sound, even the rattling and wind noise. Driving to me would be worth it if I didn't have the camaro. I've always been that way since I picked up my first camaro in winter 1995. I don't worry about it getting worn or anything because I can replace or fix anything that wears out and make it better in the process. If it was an old car that I could not get parts for and such I'd store it away and not drive it but with such a modern car I just can't grasp the whole mentality. Its just a different way of looking at car ownership.