Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

What could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could be wrong?

Hey guys my buddy just got rid of his '04 GT for a '00 Vette yesterday and when he drove the vette home and parked it he shut it off. Five minutes later we tried to leave and the ignition turned on bu8t the motor wouldnt crank. So we let it sit for an hour and then it started. But it seems like evertime he drives it and shuts it off it wont restart and we have to wait like 15 minutes or so b4 it would. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it. I was trying to see if it had something to do with the alarm but now Im thinking its a sensor or relay not letting it restart. Oh yeah it has a few mods from what I see: SLP Headers, I believ a Loudmouth exhaust, VR intake, it looks like there is a LS6 MAF( I have to check on the part number though but it said Delphi on it). those are all the mods that a visible. Thanks guys I appreciate it
Old 09-02-2006, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmokinHot98
Hey guys my buddy just got rid of his '04 GT for a '00 Vette yesterday and when he drove the vette home and parked it he shut it off. Five minutes later we tried to leave and the ignition turned on bu8t the motor wouldnt crank. So we let it sit for an hour and then it started. But it seems like evertime he drives it and shuts it off it wont restart and we have to wait like 15 minutes or so b4 it would. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it. I was trying to see if it had something to do with the alarm but now Im thinking its a sensor or relay not letting it restart. Oh yeah it has a few mods from what I see: SLP Headers, I believ a Loudmouth exhaust, VR intake, it looks like there is a LS6 MAF( I have to check on the part number though but it said Delphi on it). those are all the mods that a visible. Thanks guys I appreciate it
Is there an aftermarket alarm? Is the Security light flashing?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

does it hesitate to start and runs for a bit then shuts off or does it not start at all?what is the display saying
Old 09-02-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm goint to guess it's the starter.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

I should have mentioned that its an A4 if that matters much

Originally Posted by SgtB
Is there an aftermarket alarm? Is the Security light flashing?
Yes the security light flashes when the door is open and even w/the ignition turned on. I was wondering if it was the alarm system so I looked in the handbook and it sort of had the some of the troubleshooting problems in there but nothing corrected it, so im leading towards it being the factory alarm but im not 100% sure hes the 3rd owner.

Originally Posted by Moparnos (The SLP Guy)
does it hesitate to start and runs for a bit then shuts off or does it not start at all?what is the display saying
There is like a hesitation in it when its running but when its running its fine its when he shuts it off there nothing it like it needs to cool off or something. Nothing is said on the display as far as it saying anything is wrong but when it doesnt start the security light flashes.

Originally Posted by BradWS6
I'm goint to guess it's the starter.
I feel you there and I was thinking that but I was thinking it was a bad relay or something.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:26 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by SmokinHot98
Yes the security light flashes when the door is open and even w/the ignition turned on. I was wondering if it was the alarm system so I looked in the handbook and it sort of had the some of the troubleshooting problems in there but nothing corrected it, so im leading towards it being the factory alarm
The security light should illuminate w/ the key cycled on then go out. If not there is a VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) problem.
This is likely where your problem lies.
Lock cylinders do go bad on the Y bodies also.
A scanner to check the PCM & BCM codes would be really helpfull just to point you in the right diection. Security light on or flashing it set at least 1 code.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same exact problem, it had to do with an ignition security sensor or some bullshit. It kept doing it for a while I had no idea what the problem was so I gave up and brought it to the dealer.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CRASH Bandicoot
I had the same exact problem, it had to do with an ignition security sensor or some bullshit. It kept doing it for a while I had no idea what the problem was so I gave up and brought it to the dealer.
How much did it cost to fix the problem

Quick Reply: What could be wrong?