Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Avoid Barrington Performance and Speed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:43 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z8'S
A GOOD lawyer could also create a pretty good defamation case if you're not careful.

I'm suing an engine shop that ruined one of my Pro-Mod motors. I posted exactly what was happening on my website, he threaten to sue me because he lost his business. The lawyer's read everything I wrote and the truth can't be sued over. He ripped me off, he ruined a $30,000 motor, and he stole my property. If you didn't lie about the details, slander cases are actually very hard to win.

They probably hope you can't afford the court case, mine has been going on over a year, and I spent $10,000 already, and plan to spend whatever it takes.

Good luck, don't let them rip you off, I'm sick of frigging lying thiefs.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Maybe they underquoted you and now you are this situation. But ultimately I would suggest next time getting a written estimate.

I'd pay the storage, document that you did, and pull the car if you are not happy.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I wonder if these are the same people that run E&R Performance.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
Wow, I wonder if these are the same people that run E&R Performance.
What would make you think that?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maddboost
What would make you think that?
It was a sarcastic comment, because of what they did to my GN a long long time ago.. I don't want to go into details though, not in a public forum. I learned a lot from that experience but it cost me a lot. That's all I got to say about that

Last edited by Asmodeus; 10-29-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the car back today with the help of the police. When I showed up, the shops owners decided to try and close all the doors down, then they saw the cops behind me and changed there mind. My car was sitting outside with water, bird ****, and leaves all over it.
Anyway, They didnt want to give the car to me, until the cops told them then choose who wants to go to jail for Theft. They stopped and gave me the car. Needless to say, I got the car home, washed it, and found 3 dents in the hood, 4 gouge marks out of the paint down to the metal, they left water in the trunk which caused it to start to rust, and a nice long scratch in the hood.

The main thing is, the shop owners agreed while the cops were there, that the parts on my reciepts were paid for and They did not order them. I had the owners put asterics next to the parts I am missing, there signature, mine and the cops, to verify once court comes along.Cant wait for a judge to see that and have them try and say I owe them money.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:22 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

glad to hear you got your car back,
Old 10-30-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some pics of the car and of some of the damage.
Attached Thumbnails Avoid Barrington Performance and Speed!-1969-camaro-1.jpg   Avoid Barrington Performance and Speed!-1969-camaro-3.jpg   Avoid Barrington Performance and Speed!-1969-camaro-gouge-1.jpg   Avoid Barrington Performance and Speed!-1969-camaro-dent-1.jpg   Avoid Barrington Performance and Speed!-1969-camaro-trunk-1.jpg  

Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Sounds like they ripped you off to me, I can't wait to hear how they expect to get out of this and keep your money for the missing stuff. I'm from Chicago and will make sure everyone hears what they did. As I said, we are sick of ***' ripping people off.
The guy that ripped me off lost his business and had to get a job. So let's hope they get theirs, big time.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

very nice, its a shame theirs shitty people in the car business.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

That sucks. Honestly, it's a bad idea to leave any car at a shop long term unless they have a huge amount of indoor storage.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Good to hear you got your car back.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mistake number one was paying that much up front. The main thing would be to pay as you go to minimize your risk of getting swindled. The more you give them up front means the less incentive they have to finish up. The basically used you as an interest free loan with YOUR car as collateral.

Mistake two was waiting two years before saying anything. I would give no more than two months before I would start looking for another shop. If you have the proper documentation that you paid what you did, then the storage fees should be levied only for a car that has been COMPLETED and ready to pick up. You paid, you have been waiting and nothing.

What they will do is put a mechanics lein on the title of your car. Law says that if you do not pay or pick up the car after a certain amountof time, they can keep it to cover debt.

So, I would act on this quickly and a lesson learned that you need to keep the pressure on the shop to complete the job or find another reputalbe shop to do the work. You are handing over that much money to someone on one referral with out checking them out any further? I just happen to have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale....
Old 10-30-2006, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Two years is way too long to get it all done. I see some places take on the work and then they get in over their head. Also paying that money up front was a bad idea, I'd never go more than half up front for stuff like that. I think long term projects like that always get messed up.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt pay them in full up front, I gave them what they needed for the motor, then the trans, etc.Everything was going great with the deal we made. Up until the last check I wrote for 8 grand for the fuel, ignition,rear end etc.

As for the two year thing, I was at the shop 3 to 4 times a week or when I could get there checking on progress on the car.
They kept saying the would get the parts, start on it, let me get this car out first etc.
Believe me I wanted to take the car back along time ago. The only thing thsat was stopping me was that they had my 8 grand, if I pulled the car I just give them free money. I was trying to avoid the whole court cops thing, and give them the benefit of the doubt and see if the car would be finished.

I did learn a valuable lesson, I cant trust anyone, get every little thing in writing, and if the shop cant afford to buy the parts from there own buisness account dont do business there.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Sorry if we seem critical, but we are making some assumptions unless you post that info the beginning. I had a 72 Mach 1 restoration go bad back in 1994, the painter body guy kinda blew everyone off for 6 months and was impossible to get a hold off. In the end my car was painted pretty good but it took 8 months. I had had him strip it to bare metal and then repaint it.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Sorry if we seem critical, but we are making some assumptions unless you post that info the beginning. I had a 72 Mach 1 restoration go bad back in 1994, the painter body guy kinda blew everyone off for 6 months and was impossible to get a hold off. In the end my car was painted pretty good but it took 8 months. I had had him strip it to bare metal and then repaint it.
I understand where you guys are coming form and being critical. Its not a problem.
Im glad to hear you got everything worked out with the Stang.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Teching In

I'm glad you got your car back.
Even though it has been damaged,
at the very least it is in your garage.

I had a simular problem with a shop 15 or so years ago. The owner was my friend or so I thought. Never wanting to act untrusting ( because of our relationship) I fronted money up front along the way.
Long story short he had the car 2&1/2 years longer than promised.
Luckly I did kept the orginal estimate and had him give me cash receipts along the way.

I finally went to his shop with some friends and inspite of his yelling and screaming, that I was robbing him, we brought the car back to my garage.
2years latter I won a settlement for about 12K.
I had get a court appointed marshal in order to collect my money.
There are a few bad business people out there who get over their heads, don't really care, or just plain dishonest.
Luckily most are excellent people who work hard to keep a customer happy and build a good reputation.

Good Luck with your car. I hope you are able to recoup your hard earned money from this guy.

wildmouse
Old 11-04-2006, 09:18 AM
master of the "jack"stand

Congrats on getting the car back, sounds like it could have turned out much worse.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
Congrats on getting the car back, sounds like it could have turned out much worse.
Im sure it would have if the car would have sat there longer.

Quick Reply: Avoid Barrington Performance and Speed!