Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Avoid Barrington Performance and Speed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Avoid Barrington Performance and Speed!

Not sure if this goes here, but thought people should know.

Like the title says, They are located in Genoa Illinois off of route 72 and South Emmette Street.

A brief overview of there business practices.

I brought my 1969 Camaro SS to them in December of 2004 to have a complete new motor, TH400, 8 point cage,etc put in. They did the motor, trans, roll cage. The car had a finish date of March of 05.
Then they decided to spend the rest of the money(8 grand) I have given them to finish the car to spend it on tools, welders, pipe bender etc.
My car sat off to the side while they continued to bring in other work and finish it. I have heard excuse after excuse from them on how they will order the rest of my parts and get the money they need to finish my car.
As of today almost 2 years later the car still only has the motor, trans, and cage in it. Im missing the whole ignition system, ring and pinion, posi carrier, Painless wiring harness, March serpentine upgrade kit, alternator, battery,shortened driveshaft,nitrous kit, complete fuel system. The 8 grand I had given them was to buy the parts I mentioned and install them. I went to get the car today since I found out they just leave it outside in the weather.
After I called them and told them Im coming to get the car, they said I now owe them storage fees and they wont release the car to me.The major problem here is they are paid in full for all the parts and labor and refuse to release the car.

A word of warning to anyone who might think of having work done there.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:26 AM
POC
Staging Lane

Show up with the police. Demand the car and your money back.

You'll have to go to court im sure.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blown 346
Not sure if this goes here, but thought people should know.

Like the title says, They are located in Genoa Illinois off of route 72 and South Emmette Street.

A brief overview of there business practices.

I brought my 1969 Camaro SS to them in December of 2004 to have a complete new motor, TH400, 8 point cage,etc put in. They did the motor, trans, roll cage. The car had a finish date of March of 05.
Then they decided to spend the rest of the money(8 grand) I have given them to finish the car to spend it on tools, welders, pipe bender etc.
My car sat off to the side while they continued to bring in other work and finish it. I have heard excuse after excuse from them on how they will order the rest of my parts and get the money they need to finish my car.
As of today almost 2 years later the car still only has the motor, trans, and cage in it. Im missing the whole ignition system, ring and pinion, posi carrier, Painless wiring harness, March serpentine upgrade kit, alternator, battery,shortened driveshaft,nitrous kit, complete fuel system. The 8 grand I had given them was to buy the parts I mentioned and install them. I went to get the car today since I found out they just leave it outside in the weather.
After I called them and told them Im coming to get the car, they said I now owe them storage fees and they wont release the car to me.The major problem here is they are paid in full for all the parts and labor and refuse to release the car.

A word of warning to anyone who might think of having work done there.
post there phone #s & names,email address & what not & sit back & enjoy!just keep posting it everywhere you can!
Old 10-28-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by heymoej
post there phone #s & names,email address & what not & sit back & enjoy!just keep posting it everywhere you can!
HAHAHAHA I've seen this before. Oh ya that internet beat down on Charlie Wenzel. Dont worry man you post there info everywhere and explain your story you will be taken care of . But also report it to the police ance and try to get back your stuff that might be the only way
Old 10-28-2006, 11:26 AM
8 Second Club

There are always two sides to every story .I'd like to hear theirs.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z8'S
There are always two sides to every story .I'd like to hear theirs.
You will probably never hear there side of the story as they dont have a computer and probably wouldnt know how to use one if they did.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by POC
Show up with the police. Demand the car and your money back.

You'll have to go to court im sure.
I showed up with the police last night after I called them to let them know I was coming to get my car. They told me Will see about you getting your car and hung up on me. I get to ther shop about ahour later and the car is inside there shop locked up, they are no where to be found and there truck in in the parking lot.

The cops asked about receipts etc. I show them all my receipts and that the car has been paid for in full, and showed the title.
Then the cops are talking to the owners of the shop over cell phones, and they told the police that I owed them storage fees. The cops then told me I cant take the car since I owe them storage fees.
I always thought that I can only be charged storage fees, once the car is finished and I dont come and get it when they ask??
Old 10-28-2006, 08:04 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can charge you storage fees, so go ahead and pay them and get the car back asap before they **** it up more. Once you get it back get a lawyer and break it off in their asses.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Stuff like this makes me reccomend folks document the entire project. I think folks need written quotes, and need to show when they have asked for or agreed to project changes. Good luck on that deal, I see you getting some pushback from some other folks on Chitown so I wonder what the shop would say... no flames.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:38 PM
JUICED96Z

Did they ever let you know about the storage fees prior to them taking the car?

Did you sign anything agreeing to it? Anything in a highly visible location in the shop stating that?

Don't think someone can change someone something and not get their ok.

Id get a lawyer, I would also post this and their phone number on every site you can.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:57 PM
8 Second Club

A GOOD lawyer could also create a pretty good defamation case if you're not careful.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:02 PM
NXZ
On The Tree

I talked to my Uncle he is the Cheif Circuit Court Judge in LaGrange County and he says get a Lawyer and pay the fee's with documentation and then break it off in their @$$ in court. Or he said get a Lawyer and have him write a nice letter or a I will nail your pecker to a tree type letter to get it resolved. Sorry to hear about this, good luck.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:06 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The business not even having a computer throws a red flag to me.....that may sound silly, but I tend to not deal with shops that aren't computer savy.

They don't sound like a very honest business.....I wish you luck with getting everything ironed out.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Good luck with this. I had a similar issue with a tow company once (smaller scale). Had an accident, they towed my car without my say then wanted to charge me a rediculous fee for tow and cleanup then storage fees on top of that. Including $20 per calander day. Well their hours are not exactly work freindly and here I am lying in the hospital getting reamed by the tow company. Oh and they charged me to see my own car and get my personal belongings.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:33 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NXZ
I talked to my Uncle he is the Cheif Circuit Court Judge in LaGrange County and he says get a Lawyer and pay the fee's with documentation and then break it off in their @$$ in court. Or he said get a Lawyer and have him write a nice letter or a I will nail your pecker to a tree type letter to get it resolved. Sorry to hear about this, good luck.

Exactly.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TS6
They can charge you storage fees, so go ahead and pay them and get the car back asap before they **** it up more. Once you get it back get a lawyer and break it off in their asses.
The problem is, they wont answer my phone calls and I cant even go on the property without them caling the cops.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Stuff like this makes me reccomend folks document the entire project. I think folks need written quotes, and need to show when they have asked for or agreed to project changes. Good luck on that deal, I see you getting some pushback from some other folks on Chitown so I wonder what the shop would say... no flames.
I totally agree with you, Im not trying to bash them or shut them down. They do good work but with my situation things got all out of order and that has caused a problem with not only me but them as well.
The main problem is I gave them 21K to do the car as that was th agreed finish price. The car has the long block, trans, roll cage, cal trac bars,custom A/C delete box,brake lines, sumped gas tank, and a custom trans mount support. They are tryingto tell me that within what is done to the car there is 21 K in it right now without a ignition etc.
They are teling me they 5600 more dollars to finish the car, but the deal was written out to have the car done at 21 K which I paid them.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Did they ever let you know about the storage fees prior to them taking the car?

Did you sign anything agreeing to it? Anything in a highly visible location in the shop stating that?

Don't think someone can change someone something and not get their ok.

Id get a lawyer, I would also post this and their phone number on every site you can.
They never said anything about any kind of storage fees at anytime for the exception of yesterday. That only came up after I told th em I paid for parts and they never ordered them. I said I wont give them any more money until I get the parts I paid for. Then they said they are going to charge me storage for having the car there so long.
Never signed anything but the total agreement on what the car would cost to have completed befer I brought it to them.
I am waiting on a lawyer to call me Monday.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z8'S
A GOOD lawyer could also create a pretty good defamation case if you're not careful.
They can try, Im not bashing them, I have said positive things about them. Im just letting people know to be careful if they want anything done so this doesnt happen to them.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
The business not even having a computer throws a red flag to me.....that may sound silly, but I tend to not deal with shops that aren't computer savy.

They don't sound like a very honest business.....I wish you luck with getting everything ironed out.
I didnt even think of that. I was referred to them by my fiance's friend that she works with, her son had taken his Monte Carlo there and he had nothing but great things to say about them. I talked to them extensivley (sp) over a few days before my car went to them. We got everything worked out as far as what I wanted done, the total price for all the parts/labor and the total completion price with all of that included. They know there stuff, but it seems after I spent a total of 35 thousand with them between my 69 Camaro and my 91 Camaro that they got money hungry and in my mind think that I would pay what they want. Otherwise all other things aside they are nice guys but should have things organized on a more professional level and stick with one story.

They have been honest with all there other customers as far as I know. They think im just some stupid kid that knows nothing and will pay them what they want just to get my car back.

Last edited by blown 346; 10-29-2006 at 01:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Avoid Barrington Performance and Speed!