Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

My dad is a car douche

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no substitute for hard work. You get out what you put in. It is that simple. Some people get things handed to them and the rest of us work for what we have. A good work ethic, hard work, and some patience are all you need. Once you figure this out you are well on your way to living a comfortable lifestyle. Just dont expect it to happen overnight.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,204 Likes on 772 Posts

Do you live with your dad, or who do you live with?
Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey alex, was wondering how you've been doing, sorry to hear isnt isnt as well as you'd like, i hope things begin to look up and turn out for the better
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I used to think this way as well. I did things the hard way, no college, no money from family, no rent free living after age 19, etc. Everything I own, I bought myself. I've done alright I guess, all things considered. I don't make a fortune in my line of work and I probably never will, but I make enough to live a decent life.

But these days, after working my *** off for many years now, I've decided that at this point in my life the money itself is more important than working hard to get it. If I can get it an easier way, that's fine by me. I've already spent enough years at jobs I don't like, working plenty of 12-16 hour days + weekends, working through vacations, etc. I've already learned the value of money, and I don't need to work hard anymore just to appreciate it. I'd rather see my money work for me now, through both traditional investing and also (hopefully) a little luck gambling. That's why I budget a certain, small amount of money for gambling now. If I can win my way to riches, beleive me, I will appreciate it just as much as if I worked for it. No, actually I'll appreciate it more because then I'll have TIME to enjoy it, rather than being at work so damn much.

Well, as long as you know there is very little chance of actually making any money gambling, thats cool. I do it from time to time too, but just for fun. Win some, lose some. I probably break even in the grand scheme of things, but I get hours of entertainment out of it so I think its worth it.

I made my first investment last year, a CD (I know, shitty way to do it, but I wanted my $$$ semi-liquid). I'll have made a small chunk of change by the end of this year, without doing anything.

I keep waiting for a letter in the mail that a long lost relative died and left me millions, too bad it'll never happen. Back to work!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Do you live with your dad, or who do you live with?
Im living with my mom right now but Im gonna be moving out probably in the next month or so, Ive had a place in the city since I started college. I havent always been legendarily broke, my condo is paying itself right now and I plan to move back cause I got called today about a job working for a small advertising company. Im gonna go check the place out and decide whether or not I wanna take it. If I decide not to its off to my old job again.

Ive done some stupid things over the past few months but you cant call me retarded, I invested my first large savings in something worthwhile. My job caused me to loose my car I still get about 200$ a month renting my place out. Im not gonna lie and say I know anything about property, my aunt found me the place and asked if I was interested. I started working at the age of 14 (Lied about my age) saved up close to 20k by the time I was 18, got my credit rating up to 785 by the time I was 21. I started off doing things right, I just fucked myself in over stretching myself. I have to wait a couple of months till I can move back to the city but I have a gaurenteed job out there, commute wise it would kill me so I didnt take it while I had the car still. This thread has become the story of Avalanche. lol Oh and btw the money I saved was to buy a new TA off the showroom but they stopped making them and thought paying a car in full with all those years of saving wouldve been kinda dumb.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
Well, as long as you know there is very little chance of actually making any money gambling, thats cool. I do it from time to time too, but just for fun. Win some, lose some. I probably break even in the grand scheme of things, but I get hours of entertainment out of it so I think its worth it.

I made my first investment last year, a CD (I know, shitty way to do it, but I wanted my $$$ semi-liquid). I'll have made a small chunk of change by the end of this year, without doing anything.

I keep waiting for a letter in the mail that a long lost relative died and left me millions, too bad it'll never happen. Back to work!
I know the chance is very small. But, so long as you try at least the chance is better than 0. I would never gamble large amounts of money, just extra spending cash.

I understand about keeping investments simple and easy to liquidate. I'm in a similar position at the moment. Right now I have family obligations keeping me in my current location, but once that is over I'll be buying a house up north and I need accessible cash to do so, so I have that money in CDs as well. I also have a small amount invested in stock.

In the mean time, like you I'm forced to keep working. But let me tell you, if financial independence happens to come my way from some lucky investing or lucky lotto tickets, I'm ALL FOR IT!!! I wouldn't even consider working if I didn't absolutely have to. There are much better things to do with life.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Retired Street Racer

Alex, you need to put Dean out on the street and make some money off his ***

He is training with Kip to be a cage fighter!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt D
Alex, you need to put Dean out on the street and make some money off his ***

He is training with Kip to be a cage fighter!
You're just jealous that I've been chatting online with hot babes all day.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by b00sted
You're just jealous that I've been chatting online with hot babes all day.
This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt D
This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff.
Women like guys with skills, like bow hunting and stuff...

BTW, I won 250$ on a scratch off lotto ticket so my luck is lookin up! Woot! Every thing's turning up Millhouse!

I would try to make money off Dean but you loosened him too much the last time you took him for a ride on your bike, no one wants him.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badhoopty
guys cmon. time to man up.

i grew up poor as a church mouse, i put myself through college with much help from student loans, and i suffered like crazy for a few years after college. but now 8 or so years later at 34 i make just under 90k a year.

the plain and simple truth is you shouldnt bitch that your parents dont give you things to play with after you get old enough to realize you are plenty capable of getting those things yourself. your dad probably worked pretty hard to get what he's got, and you should do like he did and make it happen for yourself.

you most likely wont be making 6 figures right out of college and have a brand new z06 when you are in your 20's. its really not that big of a deal, the stuff like that comes around faster than you realize...
i totally agree, i grew up poor and the only thing i got from my parents was shelter and food(i got kicked out by my step dad when i was 17 but...) , ive worked since i was 12 and have paid rent since then also, life isnt easy when your young, its not supposed to be, it doesnt matter what your life is like now, youll eventually move onto bigger and better things when you get older. the more work you put in the more you get out.
just my .02
john
Old 01-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Doing for yourself makes you appreciate everything more and makes you more of a man.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

the thing about it is that some parents help their kids out wayyy to much, doing everything for them, then other parents who are well off wont help their kids worth a damn. all i can say is that when he is old and cant take care of himself, remember that he never helped you out and put his *** in the home.

parents are their to help out their kids, kids are there to help out their parents. my dad bought my car for me, and is paying for me to live while i go to school. i am very greatful for all of it. whenever he needs anything he always knows he can call me and ill come help him. i know that when i have kids im going to buy them a car and feed and clothe them as comfortably as i can. as long as someone respects what they are given, and understand that its not something you "deserve" its all good.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

just find the keys and there yours

Quick Reply: My dad is a car douche