Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Headers and Emissions In Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007 | 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Default Headers and Emissions In Chicago

I plan on getting some headers soon for my 00 WS6. Just curious if i tune out the codes will I still pass the obd 2 scan? Does tuning out the secondary cat codes and egr, etc..... set them to "ready" always? Id hate to have to put all the emissions equipment back on every 2 years!
Old 04-17-2007 | 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, as long as you have OBD2, you can tune it all out. As soon as I passed emissions, I installed LT, cutout, no cats, and my GMMG. I have madz28 tune my car to pass, so in 1.5 years, I'll be all good. =)
Old 04-17-2007 | 09:45 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

YEP what he said
Old 04-17-2007 | 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a basic tune or a full dyno tune. As long as the Check engine light is not on, you will pass. Only thing they do is check to make sure the gas cap is working properly and then they plug in the scanner. No codes and you pass. Nothing to worry about. Had LT's, ORYP, and magnaflow muffler. Was loud and smelly, they said nothing at all. Passed with flying colors!!!!!
Old 04-17-2007 | 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scramblerman
Get a basic tune or a full dyno tune. As long as the Check engine light is not on, you will pass. Only thing they do is check to make sure the gas cap is working properly and then they plug in the scanner. No codes and you pass. Nothing to worry about. Had LT's, ORYP, and magnaflow muffler. Was loud and smelly, they said nothing at all. Passed with flying colors!!!!!

Hmmm dont tempt me guys.....LOL So basically the codes for those are set to being as if they actually are there...I had trouble a while back with one of my other cars that was heavily modded, but it was a turbo import, I kept getting a "not ready" was so frustrating!!!
Old 04-17-2007 | 10:13 PM
On The Tree

what do you guys reccomend? I dont mind spending the extra money, i was thinking the race QTP?
Old 04-17-2007 | 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Yes, basically all they do is plug the scanner into your car. If you have someone tune the car so that when the scanner reads everything as "Ready", you pass. I'll let these other guys recommend LTs. I just have Pacesetter LTs for now. But might get Kooks or SLP ones later.
Old 04-17-2007 | 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the help guys!! I have had this car for a while but I have never moded it yet, so I want to start!!!
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just passed emissions prolly 2 months ago with qtp lt's 3" h-pipe to borla xr-1's dumped....i also had 100 octane in it when i went and they didnt say anything didnt even check my gas cap......and my car smelled so much it was runing very very rich at the time lol
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

The trick with the tuning is, don't turn the DTCs "off", just set the MIL to type X (off). That will allow the test to run (and reach ready status), but the SES light will be "off" for that DTC.
Old 04-18-2007 | 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The trick with the tuning is, don't turn the DTCs "off", just set the MIL to type X (off). That will allow the test to run (and reach ready status), but the SES light will be "off" for that DTC.
Sorry I guess i'm a big dummy, but can you please elaborate on the DTCs "off", the MIL to type X (off) just a lil bit more please , oh great DIRECTOR and Senior member!!lol
Old 04-18-2007 | 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Well im assuming you have to have the programmer or tuning equipment to do the changes in the ecu, my experience was from imports where i had a complete stand alone system, so this modifies the factory ecu correct?
Old 04-18-2007 | 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by litle8
Sorry I guess i'm a big dummy, but can you please elaborate on the DTCs "off", the MIL to type X (off) just a lil bit more please , oh great DIRECTOR and Senior member!!lol
There are 3 types of DTCs (Detected Trouble Code). Type A, B, and C.

Type A will illuminate the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp, or "SES" light as we commonly call it) after the first occurrence. These are the most serious emissions failures that will have the greatest impact on engine performance and the most negative impact on vehicle emissions.

Type B will illuminate the MIL after the second occurrence of the same condition. The first occurrence will be a “pending” DTC (no MIL yet) until (and unless) a second occurrence is registered by the PCM before “xx” amount of drive cycles are completed without a second occurrence. If there is no second occurrence, then the pending DTC will vanish.

Type C typically have little or no real impact on emissions. These are issues that the PCM sees, but will not drastically effect engine performance or vehicle emissions. The automotive engineers/programmer are not allowed to illuminate the MIL for non-emissions related DTCs. These are stored in the PCM and can be retrieved with an OBD scanner, but you will never see an SES for it. A Type C DTC will not cause you to fail an OBD scan emissions test.

Type X = MIL turned off. This is what you want to set the respective DTC as if you plan to remove emissions equipment. You want to leave the DTC test ‘on’, to achieve ready status for the OBD scan emissions test, but the MIL should be set to Type X (off) for each respective DTC. This will prevent the SES from turning on, and prevent any codes from being stored, but still provide you with a ready/complete OBD status without any failures shown by the PCM. Not all tuning software works the same though, so I’m not sure what the options are in different revisions of LS1 tuning programs. I know my old school LS1 Edit software uses Type X to kill the MIL, but still run the DTC test so you have a "complete" status to pass an OBD scan emissions test.

Hopefully that helps explain it.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 04-18-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2007 | 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by CapoWS6
Well im assuming you have to have the programmer or tuning equipment to do the changes in the ecu, my experience was from imports where i had a complete stand alone system, so this modifies the factory ecu correct?
Yes, any tuning changes to the factory PCM need to be made via tuning software, either on a laptop or a handheld tuner.
Old 04-18-2007 | 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Yes, any tuning changes to the factory PCM need to be made via tuning software, either on a laptop or a handheld tuner.

Who do you guys suggest going to for a tune when I do my mods? One that will take care of all of this!
Old 04-18-2007 | 06:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by CapoWS6
Who do you guys suggest going to for a tune when I do my mods? One that will take care of all of this!
Any of the local site sponsors can do this for you.

www.flp2win.com

www.ls1speed.com

.....to name a couple.....

Quick Reply: Headers and Emissions In Chicago