Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Tuning Chicago land area??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Chicago land area??

Hey,
I am going to be looking for a shop to tune my Engine later this year and I wanted to ask if anyone in my area has any Idea what should does better work?

I am near chicago so far I am able to find two shops that can do my tune.
FLP will tune it using LS1 Edit.. I am not a tuner my self so I don't know the first thing bout tuning....

The second shop is speed inc they said they can tune it with HPtuner they also said LS1 edit is older and outdated....

guys running setups like mine are telling me to tune it my self with EFIlive...

as I said before I really don't know much about custom tuning So more or less I am looking for some input from people that have a tune from FLP or Speed inc...???

Thanks Guys
Joe
Old 05-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned

Default Chicago Tuning

If you'd like to give us a call, we can go over the advantages of tuning on a Mustang dyno over DynoJets.

Thanks ,Mike
Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tuner@Straightline
If you'd like to give us a call, we can go over the advantages of tuning on a Mustang dyno over DynoJets.

Thanks ,Mike
Hey Mike, my car might be going on a mustang dyno, what would be the advantages?????
Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

Straightline will have you running right...go with the best!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Banned

Default Mustang Dynos

Originally Posted by YoungSS
Hey Mike, my car might be going on a mustang dyno, what would be the advantages?????
Now the big arguement with dyno tuning vs street tuning is that dyno's don't produce the same conditions as the street or track does. This is true of inertia type dyno's such as DynoJets. The only resistence on a DynoJet is the weight of the rollers and their friction. To give tuners a more "real world" tuning tool, Mustang Dyno's (and a few others out there now) started developing what's known as a "Loaded Dyno." Using what's called an "eddy current generator" (basically a magnetic freight train brake), the computer can give real time resistance based on the vehicles weight, areodynamics, and "load".

So what does that mean for you? As an engine is working harder (load), it startes moving more air. Fuel and timing are based on air flow (amoungst other factors), so the closer the airflow on a dyno is to the airflow on the street, the closer the dyno tune is going to be.

What you're looking to do while you're tuning, is to calibrate the tables for the various air metering sensors (MAF/VE). VE or Speed Density uses RPM, MAP, and IAT, to derive "dynamic airflow," which is then used for fuel calculations. Now imagine this...At 6000rpm on a DynoJet in 4th gear (assuming it's a manual), you're seeing a Kpa reading of 90Kpa. Now on a Mustang Dyno because of the loading, you see 95Kpa at 6000rpm in 4th gear (assuming it's a manual). Now which one is correct? Well to find that out, you take it on the street and see that in 4th gear at 6000rpm, it is infact 95Kpa. That's a 5Kpa difference in this hypothetical situation.

Now Lets talk about the MAF. The MAF measures the Mass of the air flowing by the sensor at that exact time. It's based on a 5volt reference, then converted to Hz by an anolog to digital converter. When tuning we usually log the MAF Hz. Each MAF Hz cell in the MAF Hz vs. Airflow Table corresponds to a given amount of air, which then delivery is calculated. Personally, for tuning purposes, I like the MAF sensor. If done properly, it takes RPM out of the fuel equation. 10000hz is always going to be the same amount of air no matter what the speed, gear, or rpm of the car.

So how does load effect the MAF table? Easy, lets say on a DynoJet, 6000rpm in 4th gear (manual) is 10000hz. On a Mustang or other loaded dyno, 6000rpm in 4th gear (manual) is 10800hz. On the street 6000rpm in 4th gear is 10900hz. More Hz equals more air. As you can see, the loaded dyno is closer to the actual amount of air the car moves on the street. In this case it's a 800hz difference between the Mustang and DynoJet.

Now the nice thing about the MAF, if it's calibrated correctly and the PE table is a constant (PE=1.13. 14.7/1.13= 13.00:1 AFR for NA motor), is that no matter what the load, or rpm, the AFR is always going to be the same, because the MAF table is giving true airflow.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call outlaw they are in joliet, they just had a dyno day last sunday and Tony and his staff were pretty cool. If you asked them something they didn't respond with an attitude like some other speed shops! They are also a sponsor!!and they also have a mustang dyno. Just my 02 cents
Old 05-09-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

go with straightline. they tuned my car and it runs great.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

tuner mike your my hero
Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Banned

What is your setup?

If you are sticking with the MAF LS1edit, HPtuners, or EFIlive would all work. We prefer to use HPtuners for quite a few reasons.

If you are going speed density I would strongly recommend giving us a shot. We did the beta testing for HPtuner's SD OS and we are constantly doing custom turbo kits that stretch the limits. We have achieved 885+ RWHP on a GM PCM.

To expand on the dyno selection, yes the Mustang dyno's are load based dyno's. But we have been a dynojet shop for 5+ years now. Not only are the Dynojet measurements considered more of a industry standard but they offer great equipment that has been very accurate and reliable even for cars that have measured over 1150 RWHP. Now dynojet does offer a load control version of their smaller dyno and I know that they were talking about offering the same for their large dyno (which we have). So in the near future we hope to have a load control offering as well - but most likely it will be Dynojet.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did 430hp at the wheels through a 9inch,4000 ss yank, and steel drive shaft with Mike at Straightline. I would go with them if you want to go fast.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

Speedinc gets my vote. =)
Old 05-09-2007, 02:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
I did 430hp at the wheels through a 9inch,4000 ss yank, and steel drive shaft with Mike at Straightline. I would go with them if you want to go fast.
What he said
Old 05-09-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BowTieWarrior
Hey,
I am going to be looking for a shop to tune my Engine later this year and I wanted to ask if anyone in my area has any Idea what should does better work?

I am near chicago so far I am able to find two shops that can do my tune.
FLP will tune it using LS1 Edit.. I am not a tuner my self so I don't know the first thing bout tuning....

The second shop is speed inc they said they can tune it with HPtuner they also said LS1 edit is older and outdated....

guys running setups like mine are telling me to tune it my self with EFIlive...

as I said before I really don't know much about custom tuning So more or less I am looking for some input from people that have a tune from FLP or Speed inc...???

Thanks Guys
Joe
My recommendation would be FLP. After having experience with another large shop in the Chicago area I found I got a better tune with Dan at FLP. It offered worlds better drivability and made a few more horsepower.

As far as LS1Edit being outdated, it is a older program but still works fine for the majority of the cars out there. I know Dan has fixed a few cars tuned with HP Tuners by using LS1Edit. Its not always the software but also the guy tuning it.

Dan has loads of experience and has tuned many stock cars, H/C cars, 1000+ HP street cars, a number of race cars, and even his own 2200+ hp Mustang.

My advice would be to call the shops you are considering and talk to them and see which one you feel more comfortable with.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:54 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maddboost
My advice would be to call the shops you are considering and talk to them and see which one you feel more comfortable with.
Well said. This is very good advise when doing anything to your cars. If you do not feel comfortable look else where.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

My vote is with speed inc only cause I have had several setups tuned with them and was happy with the results.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks Guys, I am looking for the shop that can tune something pretty out there my set up is not like anyone that I know of unless you head to cali... I want to gain the most out of the tune like every one but I don't want to have a mail order tune I hear tho's are hit or miss...

You guys have helped me outwith a couple of shops that I did not even know about so thats good...

Quick Reply: Tuning Chicago land area??