Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

? for Chicago do you folks drive nice cars yearround?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
wicked sounding TA.

what do you think about these flying bugs??

Thanks

you talking to me LOL????

the cicadas should be gone by next week...

where are you working, where you live? Maybe we can give you some short cuts
Old 06-25-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default shortcuts

living in Oak Brook area city is Villa Park. Roosevelt rd. & summit rd.

work at 10 canal st.

I've been crusieing I-290 to get to downtown I'm being forced to wake up at 5:00am be on road at 5:45am the ride in to town is'nt that bad at that time about 25-28 minutes to travel 21 miles but wait 10 minutes almost doubles the travel time.

coming back around 4:00pm -5:00pm takes about a hour, traffic eases up when I approach the smell at exit 15A.

I can set my own hours so I'm thinking of starting work at 9:00am and coming back around 6:00pm 6:30pm

what's up with the tolls yeserday I was crusieing on I-88 back from Napperville and was in the left lane did'nt even get a chance to get over to the right and pay the toll I think I saw cameras suspended over the road.
What to expect a ticket in the mail?

Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-25-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badmfkr
living in Oak Brook area city is Villa Park. Roosevelt rd. & summit rd.

work at 10 canal st.

I've been crusieing I-290 to get to downtown I'm being forced to wake up at 5:00am be on road at 5:45am the ride in to town is'nt that bad at that time about 25-28 minutes to travel 21 miles but wait 10 minutes almost doubles the travel time.

coming back around 4:00pm -5:00pm takes about a hour, traffic eases up when I approach the smell at exit 15A.

I can set my own hours so I'm thinking of starting work at 9:00am and coming back around 6:00pm 6:30pm

what's up with the tolls yeserday I was crusieing on I-88 back from Napperville and was in the left lane did'nt even get a chance to get over to the right and pay the toll I think I saw cameras suspended over the road.
What to expect a ticket in the mail?

Thanks
Wow you live about 10 mins away from me.. i live in Lombard..

Maybe you could take Roosevelt to canal and go North from there? I have no idea how traffic can be.

OK what/where is 15A..

As far as tolls, do you have an Ipass??? All Ipass lanes have a camera... it captures your plate. You will get a ticket in the mail. i think it is $20 + the toll......
Old 06-25-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default tolls

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Wow you live about 10 mins away from me.. i live in Lombard..

Maybe you could take Roosevelt to canal and go North from there? I have no idea how traffic can be.

OK what/where is 15A..

As far as tolls, do you have an Ipass??? All Ipass lanes have a camera... it captures your plate. You will get a ticket in the mail. i think it is $20 + the toll......
I've been going though the tolls in a rental car I guess they will trace me down and send the ticket to Atlanta?

Roosevelt appears to run parralle w/ I-290 mite try it I'm thinking there's plently of stoplights?

what do you think about leaving later in the morning say around 8:15am expecting to get there by 9:00am.

15A is the I-88 exit off I-290 right at the smell.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a good shortcut (i drive 290 west everyday for work) is to stay in the left lane when u start getting to the "exit only" for austin, then get off at austin, make a right, make a u-turn, then get back on 290 west. its illegal but it will save you about.... 20 minutes.

that is only for when your goin west.

290 is really the fastest way from where your coming from, if traffic is really bad the frontage roads are always a good choice, there are lights but you can go 40-50 between the lights and you fly past people. I do that on the Dan Ryan.

i don't drive my ss year round, i drove my Z28 in one winter and it was terrible, one time during the worst snow it took me ~45 minutes to go ~2.5 miles
Old 06-25-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default tip

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
a good shortcut (i drive 290 west everyday for work) is to stay in the left lane when u start getting to the "exit only" for austin, then get off at austin, make a right, make a u-turn, then get back on 290 west. its illegal but it will save you about.... 20 minutes.

what exit # is the Austin west I-290?

I've been here a couple of weeks. today did I get lucky left downtown at 4:15pm and it wasn't bumper to bumper west on I-290.

as far as the frontage roads go I got seriously confussed w/ them this will take some time to learn.

Thanks

that is only for when your goin west.

290 is really the fastest way from where your coming from, if traffic is really bad the frontage roads are always a good choice, there are lights but you can go 40-50 between the lights and you fly past people. I do that on the Dan Ryan.

i don't drive my ss year round, i drove my Z28 in one winter and it was terrible, one time during the worst snow it took me ~45 minutes to go ~2.5 miles
what exit # is the Austin west I-290?

I've been here a couple of weeks. today did I get lucky left downtown at 4:15pm and it wasn't bumper to bumper west on I-290.

as far as the frontage roads go I got seriously confussed w/ them this will take some time to learn.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just moved back here (nw indiana) after being gone for 4 years and have a 95 T/A that has NEVER been driven through "winter" (well i drove it year round in phoenix az and ft lauderdale, fla, and the previous owner had it in hawaii, florida, and north carolina) so its a rust free summer weather only car... and im gnona keep it that way...
Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Launching!

2 Cars 1. 2000 T/A WS6 2. 2001 Olds Alero
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

I drive my 1988 camaro year long, drive the z28 in summer. good part is my daily is still fun too drive too.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Can you take the train? I always hated commuting on the highways.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Were you talking about getting a rental for the bad days? Yeah, I wouldn't say that's gonna work too well. There's only a few REALLY bad days, but there are tons of crappy, wet, slushy ones. Depending on how much precipitation, sometimes it feels like half the time in winter. And when it's not wet, there's an inch of salt dust kicking up a cloud that follows you around everywhere. What you really need is a kick-*** daily driver that rocks for all the situations where the F-body doesn't, like a ZR2 Blazer. Then you can tuck the F away for the winter without worrying about it. It's also nice because you can wash your car on a nicer day in November, keep it covered, and then when it warms up a little in February or March, you can really get to working on the finish.

A good shortcut for part of the way in or out of the city is Lake Street. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Harlem, regardless of how bad the Eisenhower is. Beyond that, you're on your own. Rush hour traffic is not one of the perks of living in this area.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default missing Chi-town

Thanks guy's for feedback on the winters I'm hopping w/ global warming the winters will be shortened.

I'm missing Chi-town.

had lots of fun during my short stay there exspecialy downtown at 10 canal st. area. talk about taking you're choice of babes.

couple of ?s

how much would I have to give for a nice one bedroom apartment in the burbs minium of 25miles from downtown?

?1. is the lake poluted?
?2.can you swim there?
?3.can you eat the fish caught at the lake?
I'm thinking there walleye,pike,stripers ect whats the average size & wieght of these species.

?4. Bears tickets expect to give how much for tickets?

?5.Cubs tickets do you have to be somebody important to sit on the roof of the house in left field?

Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 09-16-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

lake polluted....no more than any other lake in the world

swim .....beaches sure

eat fish, heck yea i eat all bass, perch, salmon, etc

bears tickets.....look online

cubs tickets......screw the northside.....GO SOX!!!!!!

roof of house I believe is a bar...?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default $ for one bedroom apt.

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
lake polluted....no more than any other lake in the world

swim .....beaches sure

eat fish, heck yea i eat all bass, perch, salmon, etc

bears tickets.....look online

cubs tickets......screw the northside.....GO SOX!!!!!!

roof of house I believe is a bar...?
I'm not really a baseball fan just looked to me as a major party on the roof in left field.

sounds good on the lake what's the average size of caught fish and how far out off shore do you have to go?

how much would I have to give for a decent one bedroom apt. miniun 25 miles from downtown?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

call up a realtor and ask for prices....how would i know? lol. As for fish, what kind? bass? maybe 2 pounders typically, perch....jumbos are 13" and up, salmon....10-20 pounds.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default back in Chi-town

I'm back in Chi-town,Elk Grove area

where do you race?

back home it's Friday night test an tune.

I have a rental my boss has a co. van and we usally race but where?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Your boss wants to race the company van????? Welcome back by the way, how long are you staying this time?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default chi-town winters & rust prevension

SUP guy's I've allmost ironed out the relocation deal to Chi-town.

I'm looking forward to premamently living in this great city.

I've been checking out rust prevention what do you guy's think of this electronic concecpt of rust prevension?

http://www.counteractrust.com/

Thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

If you want to a keep a particular car for 20-25 years you shouldn't drive it in the winter, and should get a $3K beater.

That being said, when I've driven my fun cars in the winter, I would wash the undercarriage at least once in the early Spring, and washed the door jambs and stuff to keep the salt off.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Chi-town please get warm so I can stay

I've been back to Chi-town in late Dec-07, & Jan-07 as I expected brutely cold my nuts rasied up.

Now back again from 2nd week in March can't believe it's still cold and even snowing last week is'nt it supposed to be spring?

Last year the winter seamed much milder?

Talked to a couple of locals they explained it only gets brutely cold every12 years and that this winter set records for being the 3rd coldest winter on record.

I really like Chicago, well for my career sake I'll stay as long as my nuts can hang.

Quick Reply: ? for Chicago do you folks drive nice cars yearround?