Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

33 over ticket in IL. Need advise please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You lucky it wasn't speeding in a construction zone. I was 20 over and got hit with a $602 dollar ticket in Joliet.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:20 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by minty
if the cop doesnt show its dropped. Period. Take your chances the first time and if he doesn't show you walk and its dropped, if he shows, ask for a continuance and you save money for a short time and get a lawyer for the 2nd time. People here are giving you their opinions, I am TELLING you what works and worked for me. Considering when I drove my camaros I knew all the judges and they knew me for all the times I was in there, dont listen to idiots who THINK they know.
Good luck

Its not a murder trial dude, they aren't just going to give him a continuance because he asks, like he's going to go find DNA evidence that clears his name.

Its true if the cop doesn't show he's off, but that rarely happens.

BTW, I don't "think" I know ****, I am speaking from experience. Theres no sense in risking it when there is a sure fire way to get off the charges.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Get a lawyer. Remember one thing. The judge used to be a lawyer. They like it when you use their own folks. If you can't line one up ask for a bar attorney when you get to the courthouse but make sure you arrive at least an hour before your court time to have enough time to find one. Ask around for a bar attorney. Someone will direct you to him. He is well known to the judge and staff. He works there right? The judge will know him and he will know the judge. They have a working relationship. The judge likes it when his friends work. DO NOT go unrepresented. You WILL get fucked. I get an attorney now for everything, even normal traffic stuff. They know who to talk to and I have always gotten a light slap. Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:50 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I've had as many as 13 tickets in one year, times have changed. If I'm not mistaken 30 over could be a huge deal. I'm not sure of the mph but at my last driving school they told us about it and it was BIG DEAL! I want to say you could get a 1yr jail term. The thing about the cop not showing up is ture but you would have a better chance of winning the lotto. The judge does make a big difference but your rolling the dice. I hate throwing money at lawyers but I think it would be a smart move! Good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Get a lawyer. You won't have to appear, and he makes it go away. All it takes is $.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

40 over is the big deal lol the cop explained that to me when i got a ticket since i was doing 120+ he gave me 35 over so he didnt have to arrest me I GOT REALLY LUCKY!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:02 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by pro2low
40 over is the big deal lol the cop explained that to me when i got a ticket since i was doing 120+ he gave me 35 over so he didnt have to arrest me I GOT REALLY LUCKY!
Yea I forgot if it was 30 or 40. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TS6
Its not a murder trial dude, they aren't just going to give him a continuance because he asks, like he's going to go find DNA evidence that clears his name.

Its true if the cop doesn't show he's off, but that rarely happens.

BTW, I don't "think" I know ****, I am speaking from experience. Theres no sense in risking it when there is a sure fire way to get off the charges.

If you knew anything you would know it doesnt have to be a murder trial to be a continuance. It happens everyday for traffic citations. I have gotten them before and so have many others.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

115 in a 55 and I was written an Ibond because I was already on a speeding ticket.

No arrest and no conviction without lawyer. Like I said, I had a cool judge and got a small fine. I told you what I would do, do what you want. What I know is that if you go you can get a continuance FOR SURE.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01CamaroZ28
wow you guys get off easy...thats like mandatory jail time here and the law they just passed lets them tack on an additional $3k on top of what you already get for the ticket!!!!!!
Unless they do things a LOT different down in Va. Beach than they do in Fairfax County, that simply is not true (the mandatory jail time part). True, the new law with the fines can really f' you over, but I've been in court more than once for a 20+ speeding ticket. My last one (before the new law) was for 80 in a 50. Had to go to court since it was more than 20 over. No lawyer, plead guilty, judge barely looked up from the bench. He asked me for my plea, asked the cop what my point total was, then made a comment something like "That's too fast for that road". Fine was $100 + court costs and 30-day suspension. Took all of 2 minutes.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Retired Street Racer

Everything Minty said is right. Believe me, I have done and seen it all, including going to court for punching a cop in the face. You can get a continuance on a traffic violation if you want.

It's simple... Go to court and talk to the prosecutor and try and plead it down to a fine and supervision. If he says no or the judge is a jagoff, get the continuance and get a lawyer. The cost of the lawyer (usually around $200-300 for one traffic court appearance) is worth the money you would save without your insurance getting wind of this.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on the county. Every one's a little different. Normally, they won't give you supervision for 20 or more over. That means it's going on your record, which just means you'll pay the insurance company more, but it'll be over the course of ~3 years so it's 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other anyway.

I've never had to pay for a lawyer, so I don't know if it would be cost effective to get one. I used to have the fine and cost memorized for 20+ over... it shouldn't be more than ~$250. A good lawyer will get you off of the charge. You can get out of anything for the right amount of money.

Don't worry about it. And no, that bull **** about the gun and stuff doesn't work at all ever. It's routine now that the Internet has convinced people that asking the cop quesitons about his radar gun is going to get you off of speeding. If the cop "doesn't show," it's because he wasn't at work that day to respond to the radio. You know what that means? They re-schedule. You get to miss work and go back to court again.

Sounds to me like you'll just need to take your check book and pay what they ask. It's selective taxation. Nothing but a big money game. Your turn to pay the speed tax.

EDIT: I had to pay for an 81 in a 55 ticket once because I FORGOT to go to court like a dumb ***! Ran up there and paid it the same day to keep from getting a warrant put out for me! My insurance raised like $3 a month for three years. Big ******* deal.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,157 Likes on 752 Posts

30 and over can be considered reckless driving.

Matt, if you punched a on-duty cop in the face, you went to jail and got sentenced... how many years did you get?
Old 07-14-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
30 and over can be considered reckless driving.

Matt, if you punched a on-duty cop in the face, you went to jail and got sentenced... how many years did you get?

Yeah you are right, 30 and over CAN be considered reckless driving, but if you weren't written a ticket for reckless driving they cant just add that ticket in court so what was the point of that post?
Old 07-14-2007, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
My insurance raised like $3 a month for three years. Big ******* deal.

I've had two moving violations in my life (one for 15mph over, one for squealing tires at a red light), and I did not go to court for either. They were just over 1 year apart, and that was 9-10 years ago. I just paid the fines via mail, and went on with my life. My insurance did not raise by anything significant that I noticed. Not sure what effect a 33 over ticket would have these days though.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Retired Street Racer

After a few court appearances and an investigation into the police officer's history, he was removed from being an officer and I got to walk away with a clean slate. Apparently I wasn't the only one that he attcked FIRST. You gotta love corrupt NL cops on a power trip
Old 07-14-2007, 02:56 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by minty
Yeah you are right, 30 and over CAN be considered reckless driving, but if you weren't written a ticket for reckless driving they cant just add that ticket in court so what was the point of that post?

The **** they can't, the judge can do whatever the **** he wants. Thats one risk you take going into court, say you get a $75 ticket for speeding. You go to court, they can hit you with the maximum fine or let you off. I have personally watched people go in with $200 tickets and leave with $500 in fines. They may not be able to change the charge per se, but they can issue fines up to the max for your offense.

As far as the continuance thing, I'm sure things are different up there than down here. Like I said, they have nothing to gain by letting you leave and come back with a lawyer because **** doesn't look good for you. If I showed up at a street race spot and set up a race with you in my stock vette, then asked if I could go home and get my other car because its so much faster that wouldn't happen, right?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,157 Likes on 752 Posts

Has anyone ever gotten a continuance on a speeding ticket? If I was a judge, I'd ask you why and wait to hear a BS reason.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

A lawyer makes you stand out from the other smucks in court that day. A lawyer confirms you care about yourself and your driving record. A lawyer will confirm the officer was qualified to give you a ticket in the first place. I don't think it's too late to ever ask to confirm the machine was calibrated. Their may be a law in your state that confirms the office is required to show you your speed. If it applies use it to your advantage.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Has anyone ever gotten a continuance on a speeding ticket? If I was a judge, I'd ask you why and wait to hear a BS reason.

Yes I have and so have some others I know.

Quick Reply: 33 over ticket in IL. Need advise please.