Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

33 over ticket in IL. Need advise please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
The **** they can't, the judge can do whatever the **** he wants. Thats one risk you take going into court, say you get a $75 ticket for speeding. You go to court, they can hit you with the maximum fine or let you off. I have personally watched people go in with $200 tickets and leave with $500 in fines. They may not be able to change the charge per se, but they can issue fines up to the max for your offense.

As far as the continuance thing, I'm sure things are different up there than down here. Like I said, they have nothing to gain by letting you leave and come back with a lawyer because **** doesn't look good for you. If I showed up at a street race spot and set up a race with you in my stock vette, then asked if I could go home and get my other car because its so much faster that wouldn't happen, right?
You think so? Well I got 3 words for you in that case...
Motion to Vacate.....look it up....
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Wow. I appreciate all the feedback on this thread. I am getting strong opinions both ways.

So if I go and the officer is not there, and I plead not guilty, what are the odds they reschedule? I do not have the vacation time to miss more work.

I will arrive early and try to locate the prosecuter, but usually the court room is locked till start time.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TS6
Trust me on this one, I have been in your shoes plenty of times.

GET A LAWYER. Seriously. You won't even have to go to court, it WILL get reduced to a non-moving violation, and your record stays clean. Its well worth it just to keep the insurance from going up. Hiring a lawyer doesn't make you look guilty, its smart. I went to court on my own ONE time, got fucked for NO reason, and decided from then on I'd play the game like everyone else. I haven't seen the inside of a court room since, that was (yikes) 13 years ago. My lawyer gets 'em dropped every time (so long as I don't get too many in a short time frame). Granted, 33 over may cost some $$$, but it'll be worth it. I got hit for 82 in a 55, that one cost me $550 IIRC, including court fees, the ticket, and my attorneys fees.

Don't be a sucker and walk in there like they give a **** about you or your clean record. They are there to take your money, don't forget that. What do they gain by giving you a lesser fine? Jack ****. You're a sitting duck in there, get a lawyer, thats their job.

Good luck!
Best advice right there!!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmokinHot98
i got busted 102 in a 55 but he wrote me down for 1mph under a misdemenor(got cop) and i went to court (this is will county) and I paid $400 and got 1yr supervision. Im not saying it did anything i dont know but I knew the chief of police though.
not well enough, cause he would have fixed it
Old 07-16-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

quickly skimmed the thread but the best advice is to plead not guilty. i played guilty with a 104 in a 70 and lets just say the judge railed me the max fines, penalty etc. But the cop also put me down for reckless driving (which it really wasn't). but i dont think it mattered since the mph over the limit.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
Wow. I appreciate all the feedback on this thread. I am getting strong opinions both ways.

So if I go and the officer is not there, and I plead not guilty, what are the odds they reschedule? I do not have the vacation time to miss more work.

I will arrive early and try to locate the prosecuter, but usually the court room is locked till start time.
Typically your first appearance is just the arraignment and the cop won't be there. If you plead not guilty they will schedule you for a trial in about a month. Might be different by you but that's how it is here.

Also, I remember reading somewhere last summer that anything 25+ over the speed limit got changed so they can suspend your license for up to 6 months. I'm not sure if that passed but it is something to look out for.

For 33 over I would definately recommend bringing a lawyer, they know all the loopholes and are being paid to get you the lightest possible punishment.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

I just got off the phone with a public defender and he said what Matt has been saying. He also said that if the Judge does not allow me to speak with the prosecuter to ask for a continuance and bring a lawyer the next time around.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by minty
if the cop doesnt show its dropped. Period. Take your chances the first time and if he doesn't show you walk and its dropped, if he shows, ask for a continuance and you save money for a short time and get a lawyer for the 2nd time. People here are giving you their opinions, I am TELLING you what works and worked for me. Considering when I drove my camaros I knew all the judges and they knew me for all the times I was in there, dont listen to idiots who THINK they know.
Good luck
Depends on the county. Some counties the officer doesn't need to be present.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I go and the officer is not there, and I plead not guilty, what are the odds they reschedule?
Originally Posted by turkey
Typically your first appearance is just the arraignment and the cop won't be there. If you plead not guilty they will schedule you for a trial in about a month. Might be different by you but that's how it is here.
That's how it is here. And, the cop will show up to that, or it will be rescheduled.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:16 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got off the phone with a public defender and he said what Matt has been saying. He also said that if the Judge does not allow me to speak with the prosecuter to ask for a continuance and bring a lawyer the next time around.
I told you so

I have been in and out of traffic court more times than you can imagine. I have a pretty good grasp on it and know a thing or two. I have to go next Wednesday for the end of my 365 days of court supervision. I got a speeding ticket while I was on it, so I'll have to do some talking myself. Good luck either way.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Went in and got $400 and 1 year supervision. So much for getting a cage this year.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Retired Street Racer

That's not too bad though. It's not on your record, so think about the cost you will be saving if it had went on your insurance.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Another Q. I did a 90day super. last year and it was still on the record. When should it be clear?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

30 and over is bad, always get an attorney for those. Hoping that the cop does not show up is not good advice, what are the odds of that. They schedule all their court appearances the same day so can attend them all. I was a long time member of the 9_ in a 55 zone, usually got one within 30 days of getting off supervision for my last one.

I think if you are screwing around, it's better to do it from 0 to 70 then 70 and higher. That being said I have raced folks from 55 to 120 twice this summer but it's super risky.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Retired Street Racer

Another Q. I did a 90day super. last year and it was still on the record. When should it be clear?
It's on your record that the courts sees, but not that your insurance sees. It will show up saying something like "Speeding with Supervision." It will be on there for a few years.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Launching!

With the amount of time to get a lawyer and the cost of that, you are upto your cost of the ticket and whatever other fees they have. So just stick it out and hopefully the cop wont show but if he does request supervision. "just say you were blowing out the carbon"
Old 07-17-2007, 07:14 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Went in and got $400 and 1 year supervision. So much for getting a cage this year.

I won't even say it........
Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
I won't even say it........
I think he did alright.

Had he hired a lawyer, what he paid would have been about the same after lawyer's fees and the reduced fine.

IMO, it's six in one, half dozen in the other.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

You did okay. A decent lawyer could have been $400 and then you would still get some sort of fine.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Hmmm, but attorneys can maybe plea it down. Sometimes things don't the way you want them to go in traffic court, and you get points on your license and your insurance goes up.

Quick Reply: 33 over ticket in IL. Need advise please.