Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Did I bite off more than I can chew?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula WS6
Just heat the hell out of the tires(i.e big burnout)
Definitely don't listen to this guy.^^^ Street tires don't like burnouts. Quick spin to dust them off but nothing more. Otherwise they will get hot, but they just pick up grease that's on the street/track and will spin even more.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

What about the driver mod? Have you run the strip before? If not I would get a few runs in BEFORE you go with pops. Make sure you can get your launch and you will be OK.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Ive never been to the strip before, where I work we have at least a good 1/8th+ mile of straight road where im going to practice. We plan on going up to the Grove b/c its where he used to take is 68 mustang back in the day. keepn the tradition going.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

The track is a bit different than a patch of road.... I think I would sneak up there on the sly and get a few passes in... Another thing is run the Nitto 555r tires. They dont look like a drag tire.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coocooknu
ya really think with spinning? check out post #10, even with M/Ts was spinning... i was thinking maybe an easy launch and wait till i hit 2nd gear, then punch it like a bat outta hell
That guy obviously can't drive if he can't get out of the 13s with DRs, even in this heat. My bone stock, full weight '00 z28 went 12.90s with a lid, catback, and 16" Nitto drag radials in mid July.

Like b00sted said, light burnout just to clean them up. I would launch around 1500, nice and easy. If you stab it off the line, you will have traction problems.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=Matt D]That guy obviously can't drive if he can't get out of the 13s with DRs, even in this heat.

Were is the respect man?
It was the first time i went to the track with my MTs and stall. I didn't launch or if i did it was like 1500 rpm I really don't remember. When i got on it. I spun through the 60' and backed off because i didnt want to hit the wall. I was going to run again but my driveshaft joints are practically shot and I didn't want to get towed home. I know if i were to get it just right i could have easily put off a 12.7.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ibanez7
a just saw a new mustang GT run 15.5 at great lakes dragaway at the last RSDs.... the cars are pigs in weight and dyno about 260-280 at the wheels.

you will have no problem running past him, however sinking into the 12s you will need TIRES....

as mentioned above drag radials are street tires... however if you have to use street radials, then drop the air pressure....
Let me tell you!!My uncle has an 05 gt with JBA equal length headers,a bassani Xpipe, and mac axle back mufflers with a K&N coldair kit and get this!!
With him leaving off the line at 1500 rpm(its an auto) he was never able to break the 14's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
here is a clip of me and him at rt66!! at the time I only had my Lt's,Orypipe,lid and magnaflow mods. and on the second round I had ugly wheel spin w/2 cars lengths behind him and still spanked him at the end of the track!!! GO get him !!!!!
http://www.fquick.com/videos/My_ws6_...iving_azz/2115
Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Vig 3600 and the few times I ran on street tires I did 1.9 60's and cracked 12's. just have to roll into the throttle smoothly. Also He didn't say anything about removing weight did he? so heck pull the spare tire, jack, seats, front sway bar, hell borrow some skinnies for the front from someone because if they have Metric 165 radials on them they are street tires!
Old 07-22-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let your tire pressure down to about 10psi, go around the water box, leave the TCS off, launch at about 2,200 and you will rip that car down the track..

It should dip 12's easily. - oh- take out your air filter and like spare tire & jack.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by b00sted
Definitely don't listen to this guy.^^^ Street tires don't like burnouts. Quick spin to dust them off but nothing more. Otherwise they will get hot, but they just pick up grease that's on the street/track and will spin even more.
I had great traction on street tires dumping the clutch at 2500. The more I put heat in them, the less traction I lost. So what do I know.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:

I had great traction on street tires dumping the clutch at 2500. The more I put heat in them, the less traction I lost. So what do I know.

Some street tires do differently than others. Ive had both cases happen to me- street tires that got greasy, and street tires that liked being heated and hooking up good.

I'll have to say that the ones that ive used so far that hooked good for me were BF goodrich TA KDW's..
Old 07-22-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by indirocz28
Some street tires do differently than others. Ive had both cases happen to me- street tires that got greasy, and street tires that liked being heated and hooking up good.

I'd definately agree. I should have been a little more clear.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

All great advice so far guys, thanks. Looks like I will have no problem beating him down the track, the tricky part is gonna be beating that 12.99 sec clock. I am currently running Dunlop 5000s and they hook pretty well on the street.

I'll do 1 or 2 runs with the street tires just to see if i can even get close to 12s, and then borrow my friends M/Ts and really get a good run in, but for sure im going to have to get used to that stall and launching
Old 07-22-2007, 04:50 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by coocooknu
Well as soon as i mentioned M/Ts he was like no way. I really don't want to spend a fortune on nice tires because college starts up in August. Do you think keepings TCS on will help at all with the spinning? or end up hurting me more in the long run?
spending money on tires is cheaper than paying off your car.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Retired Street Racer

[QUOTE=formulamd]
Originally Posted by Matt D
That guy obviously can't drive if he can't get out of the 13s with DRs, even in this heat.

Were is the respect man?
It was the first time i went to the track with my MTs and stall. I didn't launch or if i did it was like 1500 rpm I really don't remember. When i got on it. I spun through the 60' and backed off because i didnt want to hit the wall. I was going to run again but my driveshaft joints are practically shot and I didn't want to get towed home. I know if i were to get it just right i could have easily put off a 12.7.
Sorry, that did come off ignornant and I apologize. I didn't mean it as a personal attack, I just meant it seemed like you couldn't drive maybe because it was your first time at the track. I worded wrong, I'm sorry. We all started somewhere. I remember my brother drove my buddy's 12 second Camaro for the first time, and made a 15 second pass in it.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
The track is a bit different than a patch of road.... I think I would sneak up there on the sly and get a few passes in... Another thing is run the Nitto 555r tires. They dont look like a drag tire.
if you run those make sure you heat the **** out of em so they stick like glue they're a reallly good radial to run thats what i had before i turned em into slicks haha now im rocking BFG's but havent had a chance to see how they hook yet damn job keeps me from geting to the track
Old 07-22-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Just heat the hell out of the tires(i.e big burnout) and just ease into wide open throttle through first gear. Once street tires start spinning, seems like they don't want to hook.

Where do you plan on going the Grove or 66?
Doing that will make the tires greasy. Street tires don't need much heat, just spin them enough to get a small haze of smoke....
Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Already been discussed^^^
Old 07-22-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

I know...didn't see page 2
Old 07-22-2007, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

with just a lid, LTs, and a 3600 stall. i was running 13.0 with street tires and spinning off the line, work on coming off the line and you will hit 12s

Quick Reply: Did I bite off more than I can chew?