Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Kids these days...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 16, My 'rents gave me my car. Then told me to get a job and pay for it. And I am totally grateful that they would trust me enough to give me a car. I'm not saying I hate people who have more than me, more power to them. But I won't give my kid a car unless I think he is responsible enough to have it..
Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
Anyone else get a little sick to thier stomach when you go out to a car show, and 16-19 yo kids are running around in cars all pimped out on mommy and daddys buck? I mean cmon, 20 with a Z06? Or how about a charger with 24s gullwing doors and enough chrome to choke a bel air?

For ***** sake....

/end rant
I dont see why you have to get all bothered by someone elses stuff... kinda kills all the enjoyment of the hobby if your going to whine every time someone has something nice/nicer. i picked up my Z06 when i was 20, everythings on my dime too.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I admit that I cringe when I see a young guy with a nice car, but I know that some people cringe when I tell them I'm 25 with my own house, three Camaros and a DD. I was working 30+ hours a week when I was 16-17 and 40+ hours ever since 18. I've been struggling my way through college ever since I was 20 and sometimes I resent people who had parents that could pay for their education. The truth is, whether people like to admit it or not, everyone gets a little help from their parents. It's wrong to bust on people who have it better than you because 1) you would've taken advantage of those opportunities if they were available to you and 2) there will always be those who think that you had it too good growing up. You can't be mad at these kids because their parents or their parents' parents busted *** and became successful enough to afford luxuries for their children. I plan on doing that very thing. I grew up on the southside of Chicago, only a couple blocks away from a few projects. I find it much easier to bitch about how people in the projects are living off of our dime and driving Escalades paid for with the money they make selling drugs. I see more $50K+ cars driving past the projects than I do in any other single place. We're busting our asses while these people are getting paid for having kids and being lazy.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

This thread has the greatest view/reply ratio I've ever seen.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Hammer28
I admit that I cringe when I see a young guy with a nice car, but I know that some people cringe when I tell them I'm 25 with my own house, three Camaros and a DD. I was working 30+ hours a week when I was 16-17 and 40+ hours ever since 18. I've been struggling my way through college ever since I was 20 and sometimes I resent people who had parents that could pay for their education. The truth is, whether people like to admit it or not, everyone gets a little help from their parents. It's wrong to bust on people who have it better than you because 1) you would've taken advantage of those opportunities if they were available to you and 2) there will always be those who think that you had it too good growing up. You can't be mad at these kids because their parents or their parents' parents busted *** and became successful enough to afford luxuries for their children. I plan on doing that very thing. I grew up on the southside of Chicago, only a couple blocks away from a few projects. I find it much easier to bitch about how people in the projects are living off of our dime and driving Escalades paid for with the money they make selling drugs. I see more $50K+ cars driving past the projects than I do in any other single place. We're busting our asses while these people are getting paid for having kids and being lazy.
well said.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ohhh man i wish i could get my insurance payed for. thats what kills me.

but anyways, i'm almost 20 and i live at home with my SS and i have a company car which is a delivery van i use as a DD.

I put myself into debt usually to buy stuff for the ride, but i was lucky enough to take the loan out from my mom's line of credit so i could buy my car. that way i don't have interest to pay, i just pay the min. amount to pay off what i borrowed and any interest that is on it. its better than paying a bank 10% interest. i pay like 4.1% i think.

anyways yeah i am jelous when i see guys who have parents who payed for everything, think about how nice it would be to get everything bought for you.

the difference is... if your ignorant about it and dont appreciate it/keep it clean/love it, then you are spoiled. but if your parents buy you something and it is always spotless and much appreciated, then your just another one of us and you are just lucky enough to have parents with money.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
Or how about a charger with 24s gullwing doors and enough chrome to choke a bel air?
/end rant
That kid was in the same high school class as me. I don't know how he affords it I think he does stuff on the side if you know what i mean. Im 19 and the only thing my parents give me is a place to live. Everything else i pay for
Old 08-12-2007, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

I know that I'm not that much older, but it seems that are a lot of younger guys in here saying that they have all these bills, but you really don't know what bills are until you get to pay 100% of a morgage and those oh so wonderful medical bills for those kids. I'm not trying to complain, I just have alot of stress to get off my chest. Man, I need to get to 41 and go for a few passes and see how far I can get into the 12s.
Sorry guys.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Its all good, and I dont get too worked up over it.. Its more like what people are saying.. Its that there isnt the satisfaction of buying, building, owning a car like there is when you have to pay for EVERYTHING yourself.

Great example is the kid down the street. Sure, he keeps his grades up, plays football, baseball, and I dunno what. But he is on he SECOND fbody. Totalled the last one. He dosnt work more than 2 days a week, and he came to me to figure out how to change the damn headlight. So I helped him, showed him whats up, and bullshit for a minute about cars. He then goes off about how other kids at his school have nice cars that mommy and daddy bought. He wont even cut the damn grass, and they hire a service. WTF? Being a parent, my gripe isnt that they have a nicer car, its the fact that 80% of the time, they dont appreciate what they have, and are being taught what life lesson? He believes he is paying for his car because he pays some of his fuel and gives his parents a piece of his check... He doesnt even KNOW what they are paying for his insurance, but I do...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Restricted User

It depends how you handle it. Most of you guys know I go through about 5-10 cars a year. I'm 20, have had about 15 F-bodys and a couple Corvettes. It just depends how you go about it. I try to find someone who needs to get rid of it because of financial reasons, buy it, put 3-5k miles on it and flip it for a few $$$ profit.
I was 19 with my first Z06. It was a 2002 with 7500 miles on it. Bought for $30k, sold it with 10k miles for $33k

Just depends how you keep your cars around
Old 08-12-2007, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah it does really.... My comments dont include or exclude everyone. There are some kids that appreciate what they have, even tho they didnt work for it. I am NOT trying to say that everyone of them are punk asses either.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can't get all mad at kids nowadays that have nice cars. You have no idea what they do for a living. I just turned 21 and have a 79 Trans Am and 99 Z28 which I paid for cash all on my own. And I just bought a 2007 Pontiac G6 through financing. A bunch of people think my parents bought all my ****, but who cares. I know I did it all on my own. Thank God for union jobs