Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Kids these days...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids these days...

Anyone else get a little sick to thier stomach when you go out to a car show, and 16-19 yo kids are running around in cars all pimped out on mommy and daddys buck? I mean cmon, 20 with a Z06? Or how about a charger with 24s gullwing doors and enough chrome to choke a bel air?

For ***** sake....

/end rant
Old 08-11-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah because I had to pay for everything myself.

Also some of them may have paid for it completely themselves. There's a lot of kids that don't go to college but work full time while living at home. Then every penny they make they can spend on their car. It's stupid obviously but I know there's a lot of people with some very nice cars simply because they are in their mid 20's and still live with mommy and daddy.

In my weaker moments I kinda wish I would have stayed home, I'd have my blown Viper by now that's for sure. Then I think that I'm not a baby that needs to be taken care of and I feel better.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

yep, i saw some kid the other day in one of the burbs (Plainfield IIRC think it was around 119th and 59) that was driving a newer AMG Benz. he had his hair all moosed up too no end like the sons from the Gotti TV show, you know the look...like they just got zapped by a toaster oven in a bathtub. plus he had a pink shirt on with the collar up!

L O L
Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

im 19 and have a 2002 550rwhp camaro with around 20k into it and im in the process of finding ither a modded c5z06 or a stock brand new 08c6 and I pay for every last dime....soorry about my punction my keyboard broke and its now missing the comma key and a few others that i need. I got the camaro when i was 17 and started throwing money at it up untill a few months ago. Now im going to ither sell it or keep it as a weekend car but im going to buy the vette for my new dd.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mattraypharbor
iim 19 and have a 2002 550rwhp camaro with around 20k into it and im in the process of finding ither a modded c5z06 or a stock brand new 08c6 and I pay for every last dime....soorry about my punction my keyboard broke...
LMAO.... 20k in car and cant buy $5 keyboard lol.... just busting your ***** man good luck with your vette purchase.

I think its ok what a young kid drives a nice car as long as they appreciate it and/or have put a lot of sweat into it. I just hate to see young kids get free cars from mommy and daddy and then wreck 'em cause they didnt work for them!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camario
LMAO.... 20k in car and cant buy $5 keyboard lol.... just busting your ***** man good luck with your vette purchase.

I think its ok what a young kid drives a nice car as long as they appreciate it and/or have put a lot of sweat into it. I just hate to see young kids get free cars from mommy and daddy and then wreck 'em cause they didnt work for them!

This keyboard it is fine i just lost some of the keyes when i was cleaning it lol.
Exactly.....The validictorian at tarpon springs highschool got a 07 z06 for gradution from his parents... he went form a gt mustang to a z06 and he doesent even keep it clean or even respectes it.....i graduated in 06...
Old 08-11-2007, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
Anyone else get a little sick to thier stomach when you go out to a car show, and 16-19 yo kids are running around in cars all pimped out on mommy and daddys buck? I mean cmon, 20 with a Z06? Or how about a charger with 24s gullwing doors and enough chrome to choke a bel air?

For ***** sake....

/end rant

Man, I know what you mean.
I had to beg and plee with my wife for alittle over a year in order to get a car.
And now that I finally got it and want to sink alittle $ in it, She sayz that I need to save my TIP money. See I a Garbage Truck Driver for a local company and get some pretty sweet tips from people for taking extra stuff.
That how I have to PIMP MY RIDE!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** i hear you, as much as i would have liked it for my parents to hand me everything on a silver platter, I think its actually better that I work for AND pay for my toys.

I'm 20 and still live at home, I bought my camaro with my cash(the 71 is me and my dads project, we go 1/2 and 1/2), my cell is in my name, i pay for my own car/life/medical insurance. And work a full time job. The way it should be!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im 20 too and the only thing my parents give me is a place to live.....which is more than i can ask for i bought my nova when i was 15 with my life savings of 5000 haha and i got approved for a loan when i just turn 19 for the camaro......ont op of those two cars and insurance for them i have to pay health insurance and phone bill....and damn is sprint a rip off haha
Old 08-11-2007, 04:08 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also see alot of kids go deep into credit card debt to build cars, then end up financially fucked for a very long time afterwards.

Earning your own $$$ makes you respect your stuff more. You won't trash your car when you know you'll have to bust *** to pay for it.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i used to have credit cards but they are dangerous i got rid of them as soon as i got approved for the loan for my car
Old 08-11-2007, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, but I'm 25, married, with a kid and how I convinced my wife into getting a camaro is mind boggling!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Yep, im 20, work hard and buy all my own stuff too. Id rather have it that way so no one can say all my stuff was handed to me. I have 3 cars and work hard to keep them all going.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Just kind of burns my ***. I live at home to HELP my parents, not for free rent. Got a lil girl, and a wifey. I wanted my TA since 98, and the new nose. When I got outta the military I found a decent job, and she said I deserved it and I could buy it... I had to SELL my other toy, the 78 stroker camaro which was my DD work car, for the parts to build this one. If I break it, I break it, but I bought it, and I am building it, with MY money on MY time. You have to EARN the right to show a car. Sweat equity. But I dunno... Done ranting. By the way, does anyone wanna help me throw this thing together? Thank you all for your input, and keep ranting if you feel the need.

For all the bill paying living at home, not only do I pay my 2 cell phones, my insurance, my 2 car payments, rent, childcare, and all other of lifes bills, I throw some money at my hobby.... My cars. Its a way of life that I feel is best earned. I am sorry if it offends you when you rev your 550hp camaro and I chuckle. Or if you you roast the tires off your 40000 vette and I dont clap or shout out.

For all of you that have to do the same, kudos... For the Pink Shirt, spikey hair bastards that are driving a car that is in one way facilitated by thier parents... Wake up and smell the race gas.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TS6
I also see alot of kids go deep into credit card debt to build cars, then end up financially fucked for a very long time afterwards.
a lot of modded cars come from credit. just look at our "how much are you in debt over your car" thread." and those are only the people who admit it.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

my parents still sometimes pay for mygas and they pay for the insurance everything esle i pay for.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

I pay 1/2 of the rent, all my insurance, 1/2 of the utility bills, all my personal bills, car, gas, food, everything else that I want to do by myself. I live at home with my mom and sister because my mother just went through a divorce back in April. I go through about $1700 in just regular expenses. I would be nice to have $1000 back to just throw into my car payment, but I have to help put food on the table for the family and keep a roof over our heads.

I am 24 years old and just graduated form college in May. Now I know what it is like for you older guys with families to take care of before you can start building your ride up.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm I'm also 20. When I turned 16 I had to BEG my dad to let me buy a car. I finally convinced him to let me drop either $900 or $1200 (can't remember anymore) on a '90 Plymouth Sundance with 150k miles on it. Totalled it (no other personal/property damage) on my 17th b-day trying to learn to replace/repair a brake line. 3 days later I bought my '88 Trans Am. Had $1300 cash, had to borrow $700 from my dad. That car had a TON of time/work/sweat/blood/tears into it (oh, and 13" C4HD front brakes and LS1 rear brakes...I've since learned a little bit ) by the time I had to sell it to put a motor in my '98.

Graduated high school a semester early in '05 and had been working part time at Best Buy since April '04. Went to MSOE in fall '05 and ended up dropping out after first semester, and then started working at my print shop job, anywhere from 50-70 hours a week depending on how busy we are. With the money I had left over from school, I ended up buying my '98 for $6400 with 106k miles on it.

Since then, everything has been replaced and its a full bolt-on/head/cam car with a SSI T-56/Spec 3, Ford 9" etc. 120k miles on the body now. My buddy and I have done every bit of work on the car ourselves except for the tuning and alignment.

My parents give me a place to live (well...cheaply anyways) and provide me with dinner whenever we're all at home. He pays my cell phone bill and has given me loans before. Aside from that, I pay everything else for myself (and yes, have credit card debt, but it'll be gone in the next two months). I realize I'm not out on my own and supporting a family, and I'm not in school etc. so there are many out there with it harder than I.

With all that said, I'm not some little punk kid whose parents bought his car and gives him money to take it to a shop and pay to make it "cool". If I didn't work, I wouldn't have any of this, and I wouldn't have a place to stay either. As soon as I figure out what I want to get into for the rest of my life, I'll get into it and things will change a bit. Hopefully that time is coming soon.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree 100%. It's disgusting seeing kids whose parents drop a shitload of $$ on cars for their kids. Hell, my neighbor is 19, and he went to florida to live w/ his mom, and she got him a new custom lexus is250, chromed out '06 Explorer, and 2 rice bikes. Hes gone through 3 cars in the last 2 years, and beats the **** out of what he has. I bitch at him about it all the time cuz he always asks why I don't buy this, or buy that for my car and it's annoying. Hell, I'm 22 and still live at home. But I am here since i went to college for 3 years and then started a second degree. I help them out all the time. I can never repay them no matter what i do, but I try to make it easier on them. I pay all my own bills and work 2 jobs, putting $$ away for retirement already, while starting to save for a house, and small mods for my car. I never send my car out for work, since I went to school to become a technician, and have been working on cars since I was 4 (no joke), I do all the work myself, no matter how tough it is (minus computer tuning, I have no clue). It also helps to work at a shop, have access to any tool possible, and get killer discounts on parts for my car. Parents never bought or gave me any car. I worked for every one I have had and pay for everything on them. I borrowed $$ once because I didn't have enough for an IRA, but I paid them back as fast as possible. i hate being in debt to anyone, but I will help anyone who needs help. I'm extremely glad **** wasn't handed to me. I appriciate everything i have, and like working for it. And I take care of what i have. It seems that every year, kids get more and more spoiled. Damn i sound old, lol. But it just bugs me when people brag about their cars and then you find out that they didn't work for them, then you ask them what has been done to their car and they are lucky if they know where to put the gas in. Sorry, I talk waaaay to much.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 08-11-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

i went to a highschool with people that all had expensive cars that mommy and daddy bought. a lot of them are grateful for it. its the spoiled ones that you need to be talking about... i know a girl whos dad took her to a benz dealership for her first car, she asked him for a used saturn. i have no problem with people who were fortunate enough to have generous parents, and who arent spoiled.