Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Question for the hunters

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for the hunters

Do you guys honor the "No Hunting", "No Trespassing" signs when they are posted on private land? The reason I ask is because I have some acres in Wisconsin and last year I posted signs around the parameter of my land. I walked around it yesterday and noticed some signs were removed from the trees and on the ground. Is it common for hunters to remove signs? If so, is there something I could do to deter them besides ?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah that happens a lot... i meen i dot see what you could do besides putting more signs up and maybe calling someone to report it. iono what else you can do besides that
Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

some hunters honor them but a majority dont! take a ladder with you & put them 12' or better in the air on a tree & then they have to shoot them down & then you know it was a hunter if it is shot down & not people on 4wheelers,sleds or hikers!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Launching!

I would think those signs only limit your liability if someone were to get hurt on your property. Say someone breaks their leg and tries to sue. You at least have proof you posted no trespassing signs at the boundry of your property. If you are not onsite to enforce the no hunting signs I dont believe you have much of a hope of stopping them. I for one am a honorable hunter and would not be caught trespassing, possibly only to retrieve an animal shot on an adjoining property.

I like the 12' high sign idea. That will at least leave them less of an oportunity to take them down.

Just thinking out loud.

Jamin
Old 09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Launching!

yes the 12' is a good idea. What I dont understand is the disrespect. Doesnt private property mean anything? I assume they are adults; should I be able to wander into their yard, maybe their house? Doesnt seem right.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Teching In

I honor the no tresspassing signs or if they aren't post it I ask first. Don't forget it only takes one to make a bad impression.

I don't like the 12' high deal because if you are in somewhat typical woods you may not see them.

The question I got did you put up plastic/vinyl signs... the reason I ask is when my dad and I put up the no tresspassing signs we used chicken wire over the sign so you don't split the plastic. High winds like to rip the signs down if you nail or staple kinda like a glass breaking effect.

Brad
PS where is your land located.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Launching!

I used plastic/vinyl signs with nails. It is very wooded so I think you are right about 12' being too high to see.

Im in the Adams/Friendship area.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

dnr says no more than 10 ft but thats still pretty discouraging...
personally, i pride myself on being a by the books hunter and i respect other ppls property... good thing to do however.... take a trip out there on the first day of wi gun season... or go out during the middle of archery and collect some treestands