Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Indy People....check-in and say hi!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- wishes he wasnt broke so he could do his ls1 - damn people getting greedy and stealing lots of $$$...

James- is the formula still running good this winter?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by indirocz28
- wishes he wasnt broke so he could do his ls1 - damn people getting greedy and stealing lots of $$$...

James- is the formula still running good this winter?
Yeah man the Formula is running DAMN good to be honest. All except for the heat taking FOREVER to get hot b/c of the fans that run all the time. LOL

Other than that, it's still kicking.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to build it this coming Winter. Since the Z will be done and I will have some extra money laying around, I'm going to mod it a Lil Bit!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
Yeah man the Formula is running DAMN good to be honest. All except for the heat taking FOREVER to get hot b/c of the fans that run all the time. LOL

Other than that, it's still kicking.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to build it this coming Winter. Since the Z will be done and I will have some extra money laying around, I'm going to mod it a Lil Bit!
i think you and i need to talk about a business proposition...
Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

i think you and i need to talk about a business proposition...
What you got in mind?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What you got in mind?
we'll just say i'll have to call you lol....
Old 01-26-2009, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

we'll just say i'll have to call you lol....
Thats cool man. Give me a call and we'll talk.
BTW I may be getting a shop to work out of after hours. I am keeping my full time job, But I'm probably gonna get the other shop to do my side jobs out of. I'm supposed to know by the first week of February if it's a GO or not! Man I hope I get the shop.

It comes with a BRAND NEW LIFT, an Air compressor, It's a heated shop enough for 6 or 7 cars to fit inside, and has an alarm on the building and a drain in the floor for easy clean-up and even has a decent amount of parking outside too! Not to mention a KILLER deal on Rent!

Call Me!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats cool man. Give me a call and we'll talk.
BTW I may be getting a shop to work out of after hours. I am keeping my full time job, But I'm probably gonna get the other shop to do my side jobs out of. I'm supposed to know by the first week of February if it's a GO or not! Man I hope I get the shop.

It comes with a BRAND NEW LIFT, an Air compressor, It's a heated shop enough for 6 or 7 cars to fit inside, and has an alarm on the building and a drain in the floor for easy clean-up and even has a decent amount of parking outside too! Not to mention a KILLER deal on Rent!

Call Me!
Hmm- FO SHO- may be a reason for me to come back to indiana if i still have my tools.. - I do have a degree in Business Management..
Old 01-26-2009, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Hmm- FO SHO- may be a reason for me to come back to indiana if i still have my tools.. - I do have a degree in Business Management..
we'll see how it goes...
btw if you need a job, I know a guy who manages a transmission shop and he needs someone to R&R transmissions.... Pay would be negotiable. I'm sure it would be between $10.00 and$14.00 per hour! Monday thru Friday. 8am til 5pm But the pay wuld be based on how well you do. And how much you know. If you pull 1 a day you wouldn't be very profitable for him, But if you can get 2-5 a day, Thats when You'll make more money!

James
Old 01-26-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

we'll see how it goes...
btw if you need a job, I know a guy who manages a transmission shop and he needs someone to R&R transmissions.... Pay would be negotiable. I'm sure it would be between $10.00 and$14.00 per hour! Monday thru Friday. 8am til 5pm But the pay wuld be based on how well you do. And how much you know. If you pull 1 a day you wouldn't be very profitable for him, But if you can get 2-5 a day, Thats when You'll make more money!

James
Hmm.. which shop... I got alot of crap going down here though already.. lol.. just got a job, apartment.. furniture haha..
Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like somebody just beacame a Texan! LOL

It's just a privately owned transmission shop by my house!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and a drain in the floor for easy clean-up
The EPA is going to love you hahaha

The car will be fine, I know the new owner will take care of it.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-26-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

i thought you were building the car to ruin everyone this year juiced? what happened?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

*Found a reason to build a new toy!
This time he might actually have a chance at me lol!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by svtwhat?
i thought you were building the car to ruin everyone this year juiced? what happened?
It wasent going to be out this year.

Lots of stuff happend, the baby coming has nothing to do with it, this was decided before we found out.

Id really rather not go into it but I will say the people that helped work on the car or had been around it knew it had issues. Ended up finding out it had thrown an intake rocker..... I was told that it was something that must have just happend, well, the plug looked brand new and the previous owner put those plugs in, after finding out the cam had damage James and I thought it was best that I tear the engine down. That cylinder that was not firing and a combustion chamber and piston that looked like it had fired like 5 times since it was built.... others can vouch for this, besides that the motor looked great.

While pulling it we found the the headers were "made/forced" to fit. The rust free floor had two HUGE dents hammerd into it to allow the headers to fit, this would cause a problem with doing anything more then a 10 point cage with a stock floor.

Before all this both fuel pumps went out and the Earls filters were super cloged up, looked like the had never been cleaned before. On the way home wth the car it had a massive brake failure and almost put the car in a ditch. Had to replace the callipers, pads, rotors, bearings, fluid.

Pulled the wire loom off the wiring harness leading to the coil and the starter (all the power and ignition wires) and they were hacked up, each wire had at least 3 splices in it, most had a lot of bare wiring showing.

Inside the car I found out the stereo was NOT original, sticker say 86 and the wiring was all hacked up and a mess. Under the dash were all the switches for the juice and ignition were was a mess, looked like a bowl of Spagehti (sp?) the fuel pump wire for the juice was pinched against a peice of metal and had worn almost all the way threw..... loosing the bottle fuel pump spraying would have gernaded the motor with the size shots in it.

Tranny cable was made to fit, huge bend in it with lot sof broken strands and rusting pretty bad.

Fuel pumps were plumbed with 3 different materials each, ending at the regulators with plain ole rubber line about 2 inches from the header coming out of a hole in the frame with no grommet (knew about this when I bought the car but did not know about how many materials it was made out of).

Upper radiator hose ended up leaking not long after I had it and so did a tranny cooler line (two materials).

I was told the car had an original 26k miles and was original, come to find out later the wiper was not factory nore was the stereo, only things that car came with was t-tops, and full power. ALso come to find out th gauges are not original, they are 1LE gauges so who knows on that.

Car used to be TBI, I found the wiring block for it hidden away and it got so hit it melted it and the rest of the wiring into once peice. That was the 3rd huge fire hazzard I found.

I was told that the rear end was a Summers Brothers 12 bolt that cost about 2k back in the day. A few weeks ago we pulled it because James wanted to buy it. Come to find out it had 4.10's in it and not 3.73's so I bough it back that night. That sucker is HEAVY, at least 250 pounds and the Pumkin it to big for a 12 bolt looks like, I am hearing that in reality its a 14 bolt.... not a 12. If thats so then it did come out of a truck (they came with 4.10's as far as I know) and the only thing done to it is the aftermarket axles, and welding on the LCA/shock/Spring mount and MAYBE the disc brakes, no reason why that would have cost that much. I e-mailed Summers Brothers asking about it and got no reply but I may try and call them to confirm what I am thinking.

I was first going to take the car for a test drive before I got it and was told yes but then no, every time I asked the previous onwer about something that went wrong they he should have known about I was pretty much told "Thats news to me but you bought a used car.... things break" Keep in mind this person was a freind so I trusted him and when he said the car was fine I trusted him and bought it.

I decided to take it off the street and make it a race car because I was so fed up with it and striped it down to a shell and sold pretty much everything and put a junk 10 bolt in it ect ect.

Since then things have come to light that I was suspect of over the years and come to find out I was correct, I confonted him on some things when I was thinking about buying another item and he pretty much said he was offended that I don't trust him and some other things. Well the other things that he said proved he lied at least once and after thinking about all the things he has said over the years and th ethings I have watched him do proved the rest I was suspecting. I e-mailed him back confronting him about it and the car and me knowing he knew about its issues ect ect and he never e-mailed me back and has not tolked to me since.

I could go into the details with it but I am not becase it does not direcly effect the car. I DID pay $12,500 for the car, with out all the issues I later found it would have been a steal but it was in reality it was worth about half that or less. Preventive maintenance would have prevented a lot of the problems.

After all this it jus tmakes me sick to look at the car. I am trading to to James for what I owe him on the IROC and he may buy the rear and wheels and tires and stuff. The plan is to put it back together (he is friends with the guy that has the doors and fenders that are laying around) and put the TH-400 back in it with a 383 he is getting cheap.

He is getting everything I hav eleft for it including the interior and odds and ends.

Some people might say that its half my fault but one person knows the full story and knows that I got screwed bad. I should have said no thanks when he later said no to the test drive and that part is my own stupidity.

The plan is to be in the market for a LS1 car soon, I have a few $$$ things to take care of first so it may not be till next winter that I have one. Maybe I will get James white car and fix it up if he finds a T/A.....

I asked the guy who I sold my LT1 car to and he said he traded it for a notch to some other guy. I really should have kept that car and should have done a motor swap.

Not in a huge hurry I work Saturday nights and I am not going to rush into something again.

Again, I can't thank enough the people that have helped trying to keep the 83 on the road and helped with the tear down and assisted in selling parts, you all know who you are.

Not going to say what I am going to do with the LS car, one person knows and has been helping out. I will say it will run a lot stronger/faster then with that 83 did for the select few that saw it run and it will have a LS based motor on the bottle.

I will stick a MS3 in it while I do some suporting mods to keep it fun and after I have the new motor/tranny ready to drop in. I may then put the MS3 motor in my wifes IROC but she is saying she thinks she wants a BBC.... we will see.

I am not trying to cry or complain about the 83, a lot of people knew bits and peices about what was going on but I think its time for the cat to be let out of the bag.

Have a good one.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-26-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

*Found a reason to build a new toy!
This time he might actually have a chance at me lol!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the closest you came to a win you were hanging with my quarter pannel when I had the 96 hahaha.

I really do miss those days...... you tried so hard but never could do it hahaha.

It would have been cool to see what it would have run after I put that stall I had for it in, N/A plugs and the stickies and skinies I had for it. Not to mention the 150 shot, still with stock internals and manifolds/Y..... All well.

P.S. that cam I told you about come to find out is to small, I am hearing that my only option really is a custom grind, may be a little small on the lift also.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Well it lookss like you let the cat out of the bag!
I agree with all that was said.
And as far as the new owner. IDK who it is but I know he will take care of it.

BTW I would've raped that Z... If only I had some gears like you did. oh and No AC... We all know that adds 100 hp
Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What happened to the rear end? And did you not count the bolts on it?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, well the bolt sin the cover are hex bols (take a hex hey), 14 of them. One guy said there is something on summers site saying its a modifed 12 bolt, I asked the guy for a link and never got a reply, I can't find anything. I may call them but in th epast I have learned that companies are not very helpfull when it comes to stuff from back in the day.

For all I know the spacer between the cover and the pumkin has the REAL bolts in it to count. The site shows th eonly thin available thats GM is a 12 bolt so I will try and call them and get the down low.

The issues is not that its a 14 bolt, I could really care less about it or the weight for the most part, the issue is me getting the run around about it.

Thanks for yor help with the fuel pumps.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-26-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Yep, well the bolt sin the cover are hex bols (take a hex hey), 14 of them. One guy said there is something on summers site saying its a modifed 12 bolt, I asked the guy for a link and never got a reply, I can't find anything. I may call them but in th epast I have learned that companies are not very helpfull when it comes to stuff from back in the day.

For all I know the spacer between the cover and the pumkin has the REAL bolts in it to count.

The issues is not that its a 14 bolt, I could really care less about it or the weight for the most part, the issue is me getting the run around about it.

Thanks for yor help with the fuel pumps.
NP, - they WERE NASTY... lol

and all that race gas we had to drain hahahaha...

Anyways- Do you still have it and how much to get it out of the garage?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

NP, - they WERE NASTY... lol

and all that race gas we had to drain hahahaha...

Anyways- Do you still have it and how much to get it out of the garage?

Still have it, call James and talk to him, I told him it was his and don't wan tto sell it out from under him.

Car is striped down completley, no doors, fenders, hatch, hood, interior minus gauges seats and carpet, no wiring harness excluding lights. Radiatior shroud area cut out, junk 10 bolt and cheap roller wheels on it. James know the guy that has the fenders and doors.

Told James I will throw in everything I have for it, IE radiator and things like that. For more money Ill throw on th wheels and tires, rear, DS, Torque arm, shifter, 2 stage nitrous with two 15 pound bottles ect ect. Also still have the carb, intake, and exhaust.

That day sucked, but I got free gas hahaha, never run Deisel fuel in a salamander heater people hahahaha.

If James gives you the OK PM me an offer.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-26-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Indy People....check-in and say hi!