Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

I just got a 1994 Camaro. I was wondering which exhaust kit you would go with for the car?Im 20 and all my money went into my SS .So I need a exhaust that gives the best performance for the buck thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

When I had my lt1 I went with the loudmouth II and it was awesome. Great sound too.
Good luck
Old 11-22-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

My buddy has loud mouth II with long tubes and high flow cats (dont know why he has cats) on his 94 formula and I think it sounds good at an idle but thats about it. as soon as he gives it gas, i think it sounds like sh*t. I've heard magnaflow on a LT1 before and i think it sounds pretty good
Old 11-22-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Magnaflow or Flowmaster
Old 11-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Magnaflow or Flowmaster
Magnaflow yes .....Flowmaster, no way (you don't want your ride to sound like a Stang, do ya), heh, heh, heh.....just my opinion, of course.:
Old 11-22-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Hey I have flowmasters on my TA :-(
Old 11-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Hey I have flowmasters on my TA :-(
Shhhhh, I won't tell if you won't.

Seriously, I don't care much for the "roary" sound of Flowmasters. Reminds me too much of what it sounds like when a person sticks their head in an empty 55g drum and makes vocal noises.

I like to hear just a "hint" of a burble or gurgle (not so much that it sounds like a motorboat though) from a well tuned deep exhaust note.

It's an "old school" sound, that many younger folk are simply not familiar with.

But like I said....it's just my opinion, heh, heh.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

True duals dumped before the axle. **** that cat-back noise.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tuff Shift
Shhhhh, I won't tell if you won't.

Seriously, I don't care much for the "roary" sound of Flowmasters. Reminds me too much of what it sounds like when a person sticks their head in an empty 55g drum and makes vocal noises.

I like to hear just a "hint" of a burble or gurgle (not so much that it sounds like a motorboat though) from a well tuned deep exhaust note.

It's an "old school" sound, that many younger folk are simply not familiar with.

But like I said....it's just my opinion, heh, heh.

I'm actually gonna be getting rid of mine here sometime. Going with long tubes and true duals with bullets.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Teching In

I'm actually gonna be getting rid of mine here sometime. Going with long tubes and true duals with bullets.
That certainly outta get your neighbor's attention. I'd never get away with that around here......too many "old people" who don't care for loud noises.

A few years back I had an old '64 Fury with a built 440 with long tube hookers and a pair of "Cherry bombs" for mufflers,......the wife always complained that she could hear me coming from 2 blocks away....(she's an old person, too", heh, heh).

Your proposed set up should sound sweet. I just don't care for all the resonance created by a typical Flowmaster system, inside OR outside of the car. It 'roars'.....not a pleasant sound at all.

Seems to be all the rage with the Stang owners, though. Don't mean to step on anyones toes who happens to actually like Flowmaster....I just can't understand the attraction.

Maybe I'm getting "old", too
Old 11-22-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, it will sound good. I'm not modding my car to my neighbors tastes. LOL
Old 11-22-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I could tell when I was getting one for my old car the Hooker and Magnaflow flowed the best, I picked up a Magnflow used really cheap and a buddy has the Hooker on his car and they both sound good also.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

True Duals all the way
Old 11-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thislswon
True Duals all the way

In the event I may be "missing something" here, just what exactly are you guys talking about when you say TRUE DUALS?......true, as opposed to what other kind of dual exhaust?

Just so we're on the same track here.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Regular exhaust goes from the headers, into a y-pipe, through a single pipe to the muffler, and then back into duals. True duals will run 2 pipes to the back on the car instead of one.

I have 3" from my headers to flowmaster single-chamber mufflers, with turndowns right before the axle. It sounds awesome.

You can usually get a true dual setup put together for the same price as a good catback costs.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

go stealth and put a cutout in with the stock exhaust. I had borla with a cutout on my 96 and sounded pretty good.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Hooker Aerochambers sounds sick on a LT1 but my old roomie has a HCI LT1 though. they still sound good.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by b00sted
Regular exhaust goes from the headers, into a y-pipe, through a single pipe to the muffler, and then back into duals. True duals will run 2 pipes to the back on the car instead of one.

I have 3" from my headers to flowmaster single-chamber mufflers, with turndowns right before the axle. It sounds awesome.

You can usually get a true dual setup put together for the same price as a good catback costs.
Ok thanks....that's what I figured was meant by it, but since there was so much emphasis put on it, I thought maybe you guys were talking about something completely different.

You mean to say, there are still sellers of performance vehicles who have a single exhaust that "Y's" out to a dual exhaust? THAT, I didn't know.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Tuff Shift; 11-24-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Question