Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

central illinois street drags

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wldesyWS6
whos from decatur? of course i know Will but thats bout it that i talk to a lot on here...
Decatur here...well, Mount Zion

and i'm game, i haven't had my t/a on a strip since i got it this past summer
Old 12-31-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like it could be a fun time.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I might be down for something like this.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea! When I come up there to visit I will bring the car.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Nice to hear from you Tony. We're checking into the legal stuff now, insurance, waivers etc. Later, Greg Clayton
Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like a good time. Im in.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Launching!

ill be there if you guys can get it together
Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Teching In

sounds like fun!!! and shortly after the procharger goes on!! im in
Old 01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

where is decatur in relation to elk grove?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mercer
where is decatur in relation to elk grove?
Decatur is about 40 min. east of Springfield.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Launching!

I'm in and I think i could drum up some more cars
Old 01-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Looks like we got a little red tape to work through but still seems pretty promising. I'll keep ya'll updated.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

I am sure the K.C. guys will come out.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

There have been so many people on so many boards who've decided to attempt this after the FLD story appeared in Hot Rod that I've been posting this response when asked for my opinion. Maybe it'll help.

I can offer a few comments but I'm sure you're not gonna like many of 'em. :rotflmao

First and foremost, show the potential airstrip operator this VIDEO and STORY:

http://www.wtov9.com/news/13442375/detail.html#

If those items don't change his mind, here are a few facts.

Virtually all organized drag racing began on airport runways and approximately six dozen airstrips currently run events in North America. After September 11, 2001, the FAA killed all opportunites to race on (local, state or federal) airport runways so your only option is to race on a private airstrip. The Flashlight Drags is just one of many events which do that.

Initially, it's important to determine a reason for the airstrip operator to do this. It could be for profit, community spirit or sheer entertainment. Any reason is fine but there are multiple perspectives from which to approach each. However, liability is the main concern regardless of motive. Any incident, including ones such as the video above, can (and, most likely, WILL), result in liability lawsuits. Everything from a fistfight to a crash to a spectator falling on the operator's asphalt can create mindboggling legal nightmares.

Therefore, is the operator prepared? Does he have insurance? Will he use his own insurance? Will his insurance cover the program? Does he plan to buy other insurance which will cover the program?

Regardless of the insurance plan, arrangements must be made for onsite EMTs and an ambulance; if they're not on the property, the prospects for liability lawsuits go through the roof. One ambulance and two EMTs costs between $150-$250 per hour.

Fire equipment is also just about mandatory. Figure the cost of everything from the local fire department being on hand to having a dozen (or more) large extinguishers on hand. Include the cost of dry, wet and fuel extinguishers, too.

If it's a profit endeavor, figure the cost of concessions and concession workers. If not, you'll still need tickets, release waivers and forms, armbands, and the cost (if any) of the people needed to perform the duties involved with each.

If the operator can't deal with people using his property inappropriately, you'll need Port-A-Johns. Rental price differs but you'll need a few of 'em. By the way, will alcohol be permitted? If it's not, will you be able to stop people from drinking?

One vicious circle concerns barriers. Many airstrips must remain active during the event so deploying barriers is not an option. However, without barriers, the operator leaves himself open for disasters as shown in the video. If you need 'em, you can rent 'em. You'll also need folks to put 'em up and take 'em down.

If you choose to use timing equipment, figure in the people needed to set it up and operate it. If not, you'll still need people to run the show in staging, starting, turn-off areas, etc. You may also want to include an announcer and a P.A. system.

What about security? Ever see a fistfight evolve when there's nobody around to stop it? You may not care but I'd bet the operator does.

How about tech? Even if you're just gonna check for four wheels, (because somebody will attempt to run on three), you'll need the personnel.

These are just a few of the things you need to consider. Racing on an airstrip can be done fairly easily but everything I've mentioned must be addressed.

Keep one other thing in mind. Unless the operator plans to clear this with local civic authorities beforehand, one complaining neighbor will shut down the event in a heartbeat and could lead to a lawsuit. It has happened before.

Keep us posted; I'd show up, too!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think there would have to be a rule for no lining up along the strip past like 30' down.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

this could be fun
Old 01-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

OK here's the latest info. Airport said no BUT......... We've gotten the OK to use the old dragstrip in Assumption, IL providing we can find insurance. How cool is that. Gonna take some work and we have to find insurance before we get the final greenlight. Working on that now. Hope to have a date for you soon. Later everybody and please continue to let me know if you think you're gonna be there. We need to continue to gage the amount of interest to know how much money we can afford to dump into this. Greg
Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Teching In

This event is gonna happen at the old Motion Racewy in Assumption. May 3 is the tentative date for the first event. Big discounts for groups that want to preregister and prepay. Call or email for details. 217-676-2660 ncperformance@hotmail.com We plan to start cleaning up the track this week. Lots of work to do and we are looking for sponsors and food vendors. This aint gonna be cheap for us so we could really use some sponsor revenue to get it going. Thanks for the interest everyone. Greg Clayton
Old 02-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Default 86 Grand National Owner

Ready for some good heads up racing. I hope this works out for everyone. It will be great to drive only 45 minutes to go racing. I am going to find some sponsor money for the track. I hope to see this happen soon. Just remember S231 Atomic Orange GN.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Teching In

It was nice to meet you the other day Tony. Thanks again for the help. Anyone else out there want to kick in a few bucks to help get this thing off the ground? Here are the particulars for the event if anyone wants to read them

NCP Street Drags at Motion Raceway
The Location
This series of events will be run on the grounds of historic Motion Raceway in Assumption Illinois. Once considered one of the finest dragstrips in the state, it’s a 1/4 mile track that was host to many legends of the sport over the years. John Jones has been gracious enough to let us use this property for a trial season of roughly 5 events in 2008. This is only on a trial basis and our success and ability to make something regular out of this depends on YOU! Please follow the rules and help us bring a truly unique event to central Illinois.
The Format
We’re capturing all the excitement of street racing in a safe, controlled, family friendly atmosphere. Most importantly, we want to get kids off the street and the racing where it belongs. The races will be 1/8 mile, flag started with no timing equipment. Go heads up or negotiate lengths. Run what ya brung, open to all cars trucks and bikes. Our only stipulation is that they must have mufflers. Slicks or street tires are acceptable. The grounds are sparse with no electricity or grandstands so bring your lawn chairs. We will have food vendors and porta potties available, as well as EMTs and a full security staff.
The Rules
1. No whining or complaining. This is supposed to be for fun and there are no prizes or payouts. If you disagree with the outcome or you think the other guy jumped the gun on you, just line up and do it again.
2. Bring your coolers but absolutely no alcohol is allowed on the grounds. Anyone caught consuming alcohol will be asked to leave by our security staff.
3. All vehicles must have mufflers.
4. Seat belts must be worn at all times.
5. Vehicles must pass a minimal safety inspection. No major leaks, safe tires, no excessive rubber fuel or tranny lines, etc.
6. Motorcycle riders must wear a helmet, leather jacket, and long pants.
7. No passengers on the racetrack.
8. Drivers will attend a mandatory drivers meeting and sign a waiver before the beginning of the event.
9. Drivers must be 16 or older.
10. No gambling.
11. Please do not visit the racetrack on days when there is no event scheduled.
Fees and Schedule
Racers at the gate $20. Racers preregistered $15. Racers with a high school ID $10. Clubs or groups of five or more preregistered $12. Spectators $6. Kids 12 and under free.
Our first event is scheduled for May 3, 2008. Rain date is May 17. Gates will open at 7 AM. Racing will start around 10AM and last until dusk. Hope to see you there!

Quick Reply: central illinois street drags