Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Illinois state laws?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright so i received a tint ticket and went to court and showed them a picture of my car without the tints. i have tints on my front windows now and my moms friend who is a cook county sherriff said its like telling the court **** off and i could get a 600-1000$ fine if i get caught with them on again. i was hoping any cops in illinois could help me out and tell me if this is true or not or what would happen if i get pulled over again with them on.
ps sorry for the novel
Old 01-24-2008, 06:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
That's why I dislike driving the Trans Am through Illinois. I have too many "violations" according to the state's laws.
For the most part, IL will not hassle people. I've driven all kinds of illegal cars around here (illegal exhaust, illegal windows, illegal lighting, no front plate, etc.). Only thing I was ever bothered for was the no front plate thing, and that was only at DUI check points.

I was pulled over many times in many different towns in my Formula, my Trans Am, and my Camaro for various reasons and never once did they bother me about loud exhaust. I would always shut the car down as soon as I was pulled over, and I think that helps a lot. Also, your attitude makes a big difference. I haven't had a ticket since 1998, but I sure as hell have been pulled over many times since then.

In recent years, tint seems to have become a bigger issue. I think you can get away with most any other equpitment violation (within reason, i.e. no open headers) so long as you don't have tints on the front windows.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Thats funny that you say that about tints though, cause the ONLY time I have been tickted about tints is when there is nothing else to get me on.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

man that sucks. Chicago (the city) is cool though. I don't get **** for anything. These cops have better things to do. And I drive a turbo integra, 3" exhaust, it's kinda loud, although the muffler doesn't attract the eye out back at all.

However, once I get my Fbody I really want some nice dark tints in the front. If they get you for anything it's probably that.

How many of you Chicago guys have tints in front? And park outside on the street?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Answers to all Illinois Vehicle law questions can be found here in the Illinois Vehicle Code
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...p?ChapterID=49
Old 01-26-2008, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

my car has lts duels no cats and 2 magniflow muffs...kinda loud, tinted windows, no front plate.....never had a prob with 1 cop.

Quick Reply: Illinois state laws?