Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

fun day in the snow. snowmobile pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fun day in the snow. snowmobile pics

taken with my camera phone.

my father and I went out snowmobiling today since it was 45degrees and a fresh 8 inch snowfall. awesome day for riding.

as we where flying by on the trail, I notice some dude didnt skip far enough across a pond with his machine. Here are the pics before we pulled him out.

This is not a normal pond or lake, this is pond created by all of the melting snow earlier this past week.

the slush in the water is what slowed his snowmobile down when he was skipping across. then the dudes clutch belt got wet so luckily he hit the kill switch to save the engine from sucking in water. Once we pulled the sled out, we tipped it over, drained out the water then started it right up.
Attached Thumbnails fun day in the snow. snowmobile pics-sunksled1.jpg   fun day in the snow. snowmobile pics-sunksled2.jpg   fun day in the snow. snowmobile pics-sunksled3.jpg  
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn man that sucks. I icefish alot and I know that theres hardly any safe ice anymore so he was going to slow or it was just thin. Where do you guys ride at? is that in crystal lake? I wish I still had my sled but sold it for a 4wheeler

Pics look good man its a good thing you guys found him
Old 03-22-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I meet up with my father at his house by johnsburg/spring grove and either we ride north into WI or west. This was nw on the IL and WI border.

the guy was skipping across the open water just fine, its the slush that killed his speed and brought down his machine.

yeah ice is definitely not safe, thats if you can even find any
Old 03-22-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah once you lose speed and momentum and bury the front skis a little bit that will really kill your speed and bog you down.

Damn good thing you were out there though or he would probably still be stuck.

Hey just by chance do you know a guy in his 30s named RJ? He works right there in johnsburg/lives there I think and rides sleds all over that area
Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skipping water by yourself is about as smart as sticking dynamite down your own pants, that guy is damn lucky it was so shallow and also warm out.

my F7 that got totalled this winter was great on water. standard 1" lug track and plenty of power, that thing would run on water for as long as I wanted it to. I always made sure I sealed up the belly pan before we hit the river though so the belt wouldn't get wet.

i'm sure all my buds in northern IL that I ride with usually were out last nite/today. I would have been too if my sled hadn't gone away on the wrecker at the end of Jan..
Old 03-22-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

he was with other people, but yeah I do agree.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Were you riding illigaly, I thought all the trails were closed?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vipermike2002
Were you riding illigaly, I thought all the trails were closed?
nope
some trails where closed because of trail markers already taken down by certain clubs.

The snowmobile club I'm in leave the markers up till april, so we stayed on those trails.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ibanez7
nope
some trails where closed because of trail markers already taken down by certain clubs.

The snowmobile club I'm in leave the markers up till april, so we stayed on those trails.
I sled in the Chain O Lakes area also. I called KC Cabin friday night to see if the trails were still open, (no one answered the phone) then I called Zenda Tap, its this bar right on the snowmobile trail between Pell Lake and Lake Geneva. They said some guys were riding but the markers were gone, so I would imagine the trails around there were closed. I was up in Fox Lake yesterday, it looked like some people were ditch riding along route 12. After one pass of a sled it was down to dirt. I wanted to take one last ride before the sleds get put away but I guess not I dont think the conditions would have been that good, probably alot of mud/water on the trails.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vipermike2002
I sled in the Chain O Lakes area also. I called KC Cabin friday night to see if the trails were still open, (no one answered the phone) then I called Zenda Tap, its this bar right on the snowmobile trail between Pell Lake and Lake Geneva. They said some guys were riding but the markers were gone, so I would imagine the trails around there were closed. I was up in Fox Lake yesterday, it looked like some people were ditch riding along route 12. After one pass of a sled it was down to dirt. I wanted to take one last ride before the sleds get put away but I guess not I dont think the conditions would have been that good, probably alot of mud/water on the trails.

in some spots, yeah there was definitely some water or mud, but nw along the IL/WI border a little west of pell lake the trails where great.

that where the photos where taken at.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Launching!

i wouldnt have been riding, conservation has been out like crazy, trails have been closed for a bit now
Old 03-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Motorboater

ditch banging is always legal, but they can still get you for crossing over the road so you still have to watch out..
Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Launching!

lol not to sure where you got that idea? always legal? hrmm....last i checked it was marked trails only
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Motorboater

oh i dunno, might be the last 10 times we went right past DNR doing it but a few people we knew go through later that went across the road got stopped and ticketed?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Launching!

lol, you may be right then, dnr are ******
Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Launching!

that's not snowmobiling, he's jetskiing
Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ibanez7
taken with my camera phone.

my father and I went out snowmobiling today since it was 45degrees and a fresh 8 inch snowfall. awesome day for riding.

as we where flying by on the trail, I notice some dude didnt skip far enough across a pond with his machine. Here are the pics before we pulled him out.

This is not a normal pond or lake, this is pond created by all of the melting snow earlier this past week.

the slush in the water is what slowed his snowmobile down when he was skipping across. then the dudes clutch belt got wet so luckily he hit the kill switch to save the engine from sucking in water. Once we pulled the sled out, we tipped it over, drained out the water then started it right up.
Been there, done that, have to say that getting stuck in water, especially in winter, sucks