Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Another Hall's deal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red01camaroz28
You'll like my LS6 heads on your car...they flow as good as the AFR's and are better suited to your build....JPH said you would be okay with it. Sorry we didn't tell you first.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS1875
You'll like my LS6 heads on your car...they flow as good as the AFR's and are better suited to your build....JPH said you would be okay with it. Sorry we didn't tell you first.
Then why do you want my heads?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Regular

I didn't know your car had ls6 heads. Are they OE?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by krobinson123
I didn't know your car had ls6 heads. Are they OE?
His car didn't come with them he added them a long time ago when he had heads/cam installed at EPP.. Then when that motor blow up he had Al from LPE port them and repair them and then they were installed on his new first of two 383 ci short blocks from LPE...
Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How much do they run??
About 40 bucks. They're handy to have around though as they also make brake bleeding (especially with ABS) MUUUUUUUCH better. A MityVac + speed bleeders and I did the brakes on the RX7 in 15 minutes, and that was with brand new hard and soft lines (so no fluid in the system to start).

We did Drew's clutch really quickly yesterday too, unfortunately he's got something wrong in the disc/pressure plate area.

Anyone have any ideas? When you press the clutch, it's got a LOT of pressure, too much for an LS7 actually, and there is a "pop" just before it gets to the floor. The clutch never disengages, even though we can hear the slave actuating. The master and slave are brand new and tested good. I'm thinking broken fingers on the pressure plate?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
His car didn't come with them he added them a long time ago when he had heads/cam installed at EPP.. Then when that motor blow up he had Al from LPE port them and repair them and then they were installed on his new first of two 383 ci short blocks from LPE...
Ah I see. I knew they didn't come stock on it I was just asking to see if they were OE take offs, patriots, TSP ect...
Old 04-21-2009, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
We did Drew's clutch really quickly yesterday too, unfortunately he's got something wrong in the disc/pressure plate area.

Anyone have any ideas? When you press the clutch, it's got a LOT of pressure, too much for an LS7 actually, and there is a "pop" just before it gets to the floor. The clutch never disengages, even though we can hear the slave actuating. The master and slave are brand new and tested good. I'm thinking broken fingers on the pressure plate?
Ryan@Lingies heard that some slaves require a shim to work in LS7's, but the last slave we had in was an 04 GTO and that should be the same as an 02 Camaro. So I don't think it could be the slave.

Hopefully it will be something dreadfully obvious when we pull the trans out again.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Launching!

I had a brand new centerforce that would not disengage... no matter how it was bled, adjusted or abused. We pulled it out and put it in a press to watch it work- the springs were just too stiff. They sent out another...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by lt1s10
I had a brand new centerforce that would not disengage... no matter how it was bled, adjusted or abused. We pulled it out and put it in a press to watch it work- the springs were just too stiff. They sent out another...
Yeah, that would make sense. But I ran this clutch all last season without any problems. I went to put it away and all the sudden I couldn't get into gear anymore. So we thought it was the slave.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
Let me inject a bit here......first motor was actually a GM replacement for piston slap issues. Second motor (The GM replacement) got hurt when a mechanic that is no longer at EPP failed to lock tight the cam bolts and they backed off causing catastrophic failure to the block/pistons/valves/timing set and damaged one head.Thus the building of the 1st 383... Then came the issue with Sunoco having diesel fuel pumped into the wrong tanks and causing major issues with that motor (< 1000 miles)....we also had issues with the helicoil on the fixed head not holding as well as found out the head bolts had been modified without my knowledge and 2 broke off in the block. brings us to the 2nd and current 383.
Nate is correct,I purchased the LPE/LS6 heads while working @EPP very light porting at that point. Since then they have been better ported/hand blended/redecked/and bigger valves on intake and exhaust side along with upgraded retainers etc. Stock heads were 241's.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by red01camaroz28
Then why do you want my heads?

To hold the nitrous better without fear of a head issue. AFR''s have that super nice thick deck!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Blake, can you see thru an inspection cover that the slave is fully engaging with the pressure plate fingers? Is there any possibility that you may have flipped the friction disc backwards when installing. It sounds like the same thing that happened to me on a 12'' gm clutch i installed on a ups package truck. I got in too big of a hurry and put the PP side towards the fly wheel.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Teching In

To hold the nitrous better without fear of a head issue. AFR''s have that super nice thick deck!
super thick what? just joking
Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slowr w/o Blowr
Blake, can you see thru an inspection cover that the slave is fully engaging with the pressure plate fingers? Is there any possibility that you may have flipped the friction disc backwards when installing. It sounds like the same thing that happened to me on a 12'' gm clutch i installed on a ups package truck. I got in too big of a hurry and put the PP side towards the fly wheel.
so you got in a hurry and put the PP in the wrong spot??? sounds like a party i was at once....
Old 04-21-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't believe the clutch assemly ever came off the car, just the trans.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Teching In

if thats the case, then it sounds like a broke diaphram spring in the PP. If you had a used PP you could throw it in there to test it out.

I had a slightly similar thing happend this spring in the Mach. i had full pressure on the pedal, the release fork was moving and the pp felt fine. the friction disc some how adhered to the flywheel. IDK if it got wedged somehow on the steel plate and the aluminum housing of the FW,or what. It was a kevlar spec clutch and when i pulled the assembly i had to physically pry the friction disc off the flywheel. It for some reason decided it wanted to grow onto the steel plates for the flywheel. I really am not sure what caused that to happen.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slo_lawncher
super thick what? just joking

Pervert.......
Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if thats the case, then it sounds like a broke diaphram spring in the PP. If you had a used PP you could throw it in there to test it out.

I had a slightly similar thing happend this spring in the Mach. i had full pressure on the pedal, the release fork was moving and the pp felt fine. the friction disc some how adhered to the flywheel. IDK if it got wedged somehow on the steel plate and the aluminum housing of the FW,or what. It was a kevlar spec clutch and when i pulled the assembly i had to physically pry the friction disc off the flywheel. It for some reason decided it wanted to grow onto the steel plates for the flywheel. I really am not sure what caused that to happen.
Lets hope this doesn't happen to anyone! Good thing that destroyed 500' from my house. 5k rpm AWD clutch dump.

Also, Darren is awesome for hooking me up with the part I needed! to you!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by halucinator

Ben , bad news ,found out these brackets are for the rear bar not the front....too skinny for the bushing. Your welcome to try it but I would hate to give you the wrong thing. Sorry for the confusion.

D
Old 04-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by halucinator
Lets hope this doesn't happen to anyone! Good thing that destroyed 500' from my house. 5k rpm AWD clutch dump.

i see your picture and here is one that came apart even more spunktacular.

Quick Reply: Another Hall's deal!!!