Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

My car broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car broke

So, I was driving back to Canada today. I was sitting in a traffic jam for 2 hours in Chicago and the car started to act weird. I thought it was being difficult and just adjusted the way I was driving so it wouldnt stall or whatever else it wanted to do.

So, I tap the gas, release the clutch, car stalls. Im like WTF. Im in the middle of an interstate and I cant start the car again. I put on my four ways. Finally it turns over. I rev the **** out of it, dump the clutch and get off the interstate and park the car on a side road in downtown Chicago.

Turns out, my fuel pressure is right down. Every time I give it gas, it revs up after 2 seconds or so (so the throttle isnt responsive at all). If I let off the gas, it goes to idle and stalls out. When I turn the car on, I get 20 psi of fuel pressure. Then after 30 seconds of running, it starts to go down until it shuts itself off...

What could be wrong here? I have a few month old Walbro 255 in the tank, Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, few month old fuel filter... No gas leaking on the ground...

Im at a loss as to what is happening...

Anyways, picture time

Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive heard some bad things about walbro pumps. My buddies is going bad on him after like a month of installing it. Im running dual racetronix pumps which i under stand is a modified walbro. They work great. 6K on them and no issues.

Nice pics.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont like 3rd gens but damn that looks good!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LT1 car did the same thing, if you can fire it up and watch the fuel pressure as you rev it, if it drops then get a new pump. I rarley hear anything bad about Walbro.

Racetronix is nice, had one in my LT1 after I churcked the stock one, just a Walbro pump with an aftermarket harness if you ask me.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

PM LS184. He had a difficult problem figuring out his fuel pressure and stuff. Same thing happened...stalled on the way to a cruise and couldnt get it going for anything.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ITS A SIGN!

Your car refuses to go back to Canada and deal with those DAMN Frenchies!

Boy that sucks man, where are you towing your car to? what are your plans now?

I see you were by Greek Town around Halsted.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I was just driving south on I-94. Pulled off on Adams. Car gave up at the intersection of Adams and Peoria (in a tow away zone lol).
Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

My condo is like 5 mins from there. If you need a hand let me know. I think you meet my buddy Mark a few day ago. We both work at Mercedes right down the street.
312-731-2129
Alex
Old 08-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
My condo is like 5 mins from there. If you need a hand let me know. I think you meet my buddy Mark a few day ago. We both work at Mercedes right down the street.
312-731-2129
Alex
Thanks dude. Im at the Mariott on Ashland right now...

If there is need for a new pump, where would one get one in Chicago on a Saturday...?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Im not sure about Downtown chicago but out by New lenox there is Winners circle performance, Im sure theyd have one in stock
http://www.winnerscircleonline.com/

As well you can pinch the return line and dead head the pump, If it doesnt double the psi then you know its the pump
Old 08-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by kubus_stroinski
Thanks dude. Im at the Mariott on Ashland right now...

If there is need for a new pump, where would one get one in Chicago on a Saturday...?
Call Speed Inc. They usually have them in stock. But they are only there until noon today...
Old 08-31-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

ive heard of quite a few people haveing problems with their walbro pumps they have recentely installed , includeing mine which is why i got rid of it for the racetronix....if u get a chance to pull the pump i whould take a look at ur regualtor, also c if their is a hole, or a cut in the hose that goes from the pump to the sending unit, and if u got a voltmeter test ur pump....and as cgroh89 said pinch ur return line and c if ur psi doubles
Old 08-31-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

I have an extra racetronix plug and play kit. I used it for like 3k. Let me know if that helps.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:22 PM
Teching In

thanks a lot to everyone that offered to help. You guys are awesome. The car got towed to Davila Auto and they diagnosed the problem and I told them to **** themselves. They told me my fuel pressure issue is due to the "fact" that my transmission is "stuck" in third and fourth gears? Does that make sense to you guys? The way the motor idles is affected by the transmission? I don't think so...

So, I ask to speak to the mechanic and I am told that their certified mechanic doesn't speak English. At that point I asked for my keys back and drove the car out of there. It seems like once the pressure from the fuel tank is released, it runs normal... How does that work? What could be wrong? Anyways, I toughed it out and drove the car to Canada. Probably taking it to GM on Tuesday for someone who knows what's happening looks at it. Anyways, that's what happened. My transmission is perfectly fine so maybe stay clear of Davila...
Old 08-31-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear you got back ok, Was it just while idling it is doing it? Did you try to pinch the return line ?
Old 08-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Teching In

it starts to do it all rpms after a while (like with a quarter tank left). I didn't pinch the return because it ran normally for a bit
Old 08-31-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kubus_stroinski
So, I ask to speak to the mechanic and I am told that their certified mechanic doesn't speak English.
I wonder what certified is to them. Then maybe that place should stop hiring people that don't speak english? ICE anyone (Immigration and Customs enforcement)?

Quick Reply: My car broke