Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks for the info. so far guys...this helps
Old 01-07-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father was active for 5 years and now is Guard, been in almost 28 years total and he loved the Guard, most Guard units (Air Guard) are very layed back, you do your job, don't be a screw up respect the people around you and on base and your good. Everyone pretty much sees each other as equals.

Pretty easy to transfer around, (he has done it a few times due to civilian jobs). Resevere is different at least in IN, the one unit is run like an active base, pretty much active duty but not full time.

I know one guy that went from Active AF to Guard to Reserve and he said its pretty much the same just more like active duty.

I have been told that promotions in the SNCO ranks are a LITTLE easier to get in the reserves but I think that depends on what your job is.

Id call around to the bases and see what they have open and can do for you.

Everyone I have known that went from active to Guard/Reserve has loved it and never regreted it and they all put in their 20 or more.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like was previosly stated: you need to know what you want to do and where you want to live. Also, if you know what job you want to do, find out who the section chief is and interview with that person. The recruiter looks to see what openings are available (like active duty) and will try to fill those needs first. You'll still need the recruiter for the hiring process, but interviewing with the section chief will make the odds of getting the job you want much better. Bring a resume, EPRs, DD214, college transcripts, etc.

What you do at drill depends on what job you have. In my unit, drill weekends are spent getting annual training requirements accomplished. Since we are also a flying organization, we fly sorties on the weekends as well to fulfill flying requirements on top of ground training requirements. If you want to be in a flying position, you can count on performing military duty more than one weekend a month/ two weeks a year.

If you live close to your unit (or willing to move closer), you'll be more desireable to the unit and more likely to have options for extra paydays. Speaking of pay, it takes awhile just to figure out the different ways to maximize your dollars with the AFRes pay system.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

There are some people here that live really close to base, there are others that drive 6 hours one way to get to the base. Reason being either A they really like the unit or B thats the only unit in driving distance.

Pretty soon as far as I know Ft Wayne ANG and a unit in MI and IL will be the only fighter units in the entire midwest area (IN, MI, OH, KY, IL) OH has a at least one that will still be around but they are a non deploy unit. Everyone else is loosing or has lost their aircraft so if you work fighters people here now have to drive or change jobs.
With reserve the slots are limited starting at E-6, with the ANG its E-7.

Do the best you can to get in before you hit those ranks or get a gaurenteed slot.

The reason I say this is I know someone who is ANG, about to hit 29 years in and is a E-7, was a 16 crew chief and the unit lost its jets so he had to go to another one and take a QA slot, the problem is that he is the odd ball out with slots and if they cant get the papwerwork figured out and get the extra slot for him then he would have to go back to E-6 and work his way back up. If they do get him the slot then E-8 should come pretty quick and he is in his 50's so if he gets bumped down then thats pretty much it.

See what I mean?

Oh, ANG/Reserve get unlimited Commesary and BX/PX usage.

If you live far enough away they will pay for your hotel to stay over night. In the GUard if you are E7 or above you get a room to yourself. Anything under and you share.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just found a full-time guard position opening for my ASFC. Starts at 18 an hour, kinda looking into it, but when I hit SRA in a few months I'll be getting BAH and BAS so i'd be taking a pay cut.

Thanks for the info. so far
Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I just found a full-time guard position opening for my ASFC. Starts at 18 an hour, kinda looking into it, but when I hit SRA in a few months I'll be getting BAH and BAS so i'd be taking a pay cut.

Thanks for the info. so far
since when does the military pay hourly?

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z

The reason I say this is I know someone who is ANG, about to hit 29 years in and is a E-7, was a 16 crew chief and the unit lost its jets so he had to go to another one and take a QA slot, the problem is that he is the odd ball out with slots and if they cant get the papwerwork figured out and get the extra slot for him then he would have to go back to E-6 and work his way back up. If they do get him the slot then E-8 should come pretty quick and he is in his 50's so if he gets bumped down then thats pretty much it.
wow....29 years and still an E-7, not judging but that is pathetic..
I thought the MC was hard to pick up rank in.
On another note you don't get reduced in rank ever, just because there isn't a billet for you at that unit, you may get passed over if you are new to the unit and someone of lesser rank has filled that position previously and that unit....
Don't know if that is what juiced96z meant or not but thought I would clarify.

Last edited by NebWS6; 02-02-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a full-time technician job, you are still in the guard but i guess you get paid as a civilian. You still work the one weekend a month too.

I found it confusing too, its different thats for sure
Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Launching!

It's a full-time technician job, you are still in the guard but i guess you get paid as a civilian. You still work the one weekend a month too.

now that is weird.... so it's my understanding that you are still obligated to a contract?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think so, but i hear it's not that hard to get out of a guard contract....the reason i am still not considering it is because:

1. i'd actually like to finish out my enlistment
2. i'll make more money if i stay in
3. i'd have to relocate

From what I understand the recruiter told me that it's no different than being in the guard, except you are given an hourly wage. I'm sure there were a few other things, but that's what I got out of the conversation.

I'd still wear the uniform, still get all the benefits, still move up in rank with time and discretion, still get pay raises...
Old 02-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Launching!

i think so, but i hear it's not that hard to get out of a guard contract....the reason i am still not considering it is because:

1. i'd actually like to finish out my enlistment
2. i'll make more money if i stay in
3. i'd have to relocate

From what I understand the recruiter told me that it's no different than being in the guard, except you are given an hourly wage. I'm sure there were a few other things, but that's what I got out of the conversation.

I'd still wear the uniform, still get all the benefits, still move up in rank with time and discretion, still get pay raises...

It makes sense to me but on the other hand it doesn't... like you said if you are in the military still then you should get basic pay, but instead they are giving you an hourly wage....

for most other branches that would make you Active Reserve... air force does some crazy ****...
Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would be released from active duty early to go guard.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got released early from AD to go to a guard tech job in my AFSC back in Tulsa, OK. Actually just final out processed the MPF and finance just about 2 hours ago. I'll start at 21.82 an hour. Making rank can suck in a guard unit, it happens. BUT, on a TDY or deployment, while on 'military' orders, I can pull vacation time from my normal hourly paying job and still pull military pay. 2 paychecks. Double dipping dumdumdum.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its called Miltech. You are a civilian GS employee working at the unit during the week. You are required to be a member of the unit in reserve capacity also. You drill in uniform on the weekends and you are part of mobilizations and such in uniform.

Every branch of the service has Miltechs.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266
Its called Miltech. You are a civilian GS employee working at the unit during the week. You are required to be a member of the unit in reserve capacity also. You drill in uniform on the weekends and you are part of mobilizations and such in uniform.

Every branch of the service has Miltechs.
hmmm....we don't have any here that I am aware of, nor has any other MC reserve center I have been to have any

I am suprised that I haven't heard of that before.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NebWS6
hmmm....we don't have any here that I am aware of, nor has any other MC reserve center I have been to have any

I am suprised that I haven't heard of that before.

Maybe the marines dont have them, I didnt see any last time I was at the marine reserve center. My mistake. They may be staffed fully by uniformed guys. I know that both the army reserve, army national guard, air force reserve, and air guard have miltech positions. For the Army and Air Guard all you have to do is look on the state militias website and they usually have the jobs posted.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Only thing that sucks with the full time slot is when you have to work that week, drill that weekend, and work the week after. Sometims you get days off from what I hear. As far as I know you still wear the uniform, you are really full time Guard/Reserve. Think of it as a drill weekend but its 5 days long and you still drill. Things may have changed but as far as I know you still drill.

The civilian employees do not.

I know a Reserve guy trying to get a full time tech slot and it takes time, a lot of people competing for it. He has been applying for them all over the place.

He is aircraft powerplant.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only thing that sucks with the full time slot is when you have to work that week, drill that weekend, and work the week after.
Hahaha, i already do that and don't get paid any extra.

On a serious note, it there overtime?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Only thing that sucks with the full time slot is when you have to work that week, drill that weekend, and work the week after.

.....that is what your life is like for active duty if you get stationed at a Marine Corps reserve center granted it's only one weekend a month.
If there is a long drill weekend then you might get monday off....
Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Hahaha, i already do that and don't get paid any extra.

On a serious note, it there overtime?
Some units allow it; others prefer using credit time. Paying out alot of overtime is not good for the unit (though it can be for the member), but there are other military pay days that you can tack on after your civilian day to double dip. Depending on your job/rank and unit, you can easily make an extra $10k in reserve pay in addition to your GS salary.

The pay system is easier to learn than to lay it all out here, but the benefits of a civil service job are pretty good. Those slots are usually very competitive, so being able to get one right away is pretty good. I waited three years for mine, if that gives you any perspective.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Malicious
I just got released early from AD to go to a guard tech job in my AFSC back in Tulsa, OK. Actually just final out processed the MPF and finance just about 2 hours ago. I'll start at 21.82 an hour. Making rank can suck in a guard unit, it happens. BUT, on a TDY or deployment, while on 'military' orders, I can pull vacation time from my normal hourly paying job and still pull military pay. 2 paychecks. Double dipping dumdumdum.
Aren't you going to be taking a pay cut?

Quick Reply: Guard/Reserve info request