Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Moving w/2 cars...TMO vs DITY moves

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving w/2 cars...TMO vs DITY moves

Gotta start planning contingencies if I don't sell the LE before I PCS.

Should I bother with TMO shipping my LE or just rent a U-Haul trailer and drag it down?

I PCS 11 Feb RNLT 13 Feb, so I still have a little time to play with.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Teching In

DITY. You will prolly make some money doing it.
Plus I dont think you wanna trust the military movers moving that car.
So just save all of your receipts and put them on your travel voucher.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Are you married or single? single, they only pay for one car. So, you pay the cost of shipping/hauling your 2nd ride. If married, they will pay for the 2nd one, but it will most likely be the moving truck...but, put the camaro on a car hauler behind it. Dity move, you stand to make quite a bit of money. Be right at you max weight, and you're golden. We just recently pcs'd from NM to NV. Vegas to be exact, and made out with about 6grand total, but some of the money was put into gas, the truck, and other small things that will have to come out of pocket.

Check out this site http://www.ditymovers.com/

lots of great information on moving for the military.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it yourself. These moving companies are just out there and they don't give a damn about your property.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 PM
NKAWTG...N

I am single.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Regular

I highly recommend you do it yourself. Even single you will come out nicely ahead. Besides, you care about your stuff worlds more than the pukes the military pays to throw your stuff around.

Being single, when I moved they wouldn't pay for more than 1 vehicle...which was the moving truck. I therefore got the largest truck I could that had a flat floor (no wheel wells protruding into the cargo area). Good thing too, I wound up being pretty close to my max weight with my giant toolbox and other stuff. Wound up having to hire a rollback at both ends to get the toolbox (and large stuff) in and out of the truck. Went off flawlessly.

It's amazing what you can fit inside a large moving truck. Just make sure things are secured very well.

Save all receipts, including fuel, rental, things like the aforementioned rollback fees, and any money you spend on tie down straps or other supplies to safely secure your belongings. The last thing you want is your belongings (like my toolbox) coming loose in the truck and rolling around back there.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Teching In

When I moved from NC to CA, I got a U-Haul with a trailer. My wife drove my Firebird and the Trans Am rode on the trailer. I came out on top by a few thousand dollars after all my expenses.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Teching In

ditty move!! and this didnt come from me but we loaded up the truck with sandbags and took it to the weight scale to get the 8000lbs max weight
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtZ28
this didnt come from me but we loaded up the truck with sandbags and took it to the weight scale to get the 8000lbs max weight
Easy now. You never know who is lurking on the boards...
Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Teching In

yea CID
Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

question... I thought if you were married you still were only authorized to move one car. Does anyone know the order on this so I can look it up? I might be PCSing here in less than a year. I do not trust the guys at TMO, and will probably ditty, but if I decide to have a mover do it, I want to know the rules. I don't trust the TMO guys to give me the whole story.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Teching In

you can move two cars if you are married bro!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

ya two cars... i am married and mil to mil..... gotta have two cars..
Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Default Moving Truck

Originally Posted by Awake455
I highly recommend you do it yourself. Even single you will come out nicely ahead. Besides, you care about your stuff worlds more than the pukes the military pays to throw your stuff around.

Being single, when I moved they wouldn't pay for more than 1 vehicle...which was the moving truck. I therefore got the largest truck I could that had a flat floor (no wheel wells protruding into the cargo area). Good thing too, I wound up being pretty close to my max weight with my giant toolbox and other stuff. Wound up having to hire a rollback at both ends to get the toolbox (and large stuff) in and out of the truck. Went off flawlessly.

It's amazing what you can fit inside a large moving truck. Just make sure things are secured very well.

Save all receipts, including fuel, rental, things like the aforementioned rollback fees, and any money you spend on tie down straps or other supplies to safely secure your belongings. The last thing you want is your belongings (like my toolbox) coming loose in the truck and rolling around back there.
I am obviously missing something painfully simple yet elusive. If they only paid for one vehicle, why would they pay for the moving truck? Isn't it heavier than whatever hot rod you were transporting?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Command_Post? 0 posts? I may suck at math but shouldn't your post in this thread actually move your thread count to, oh I dunno, 1 post?

The moving truck was the one vehicle they paid for. It was explicitly stated on my orders that I was allowed 1 vehicle and no trailers. That is, unless I understood them wrong. Worked out pretty well anyway despite the army trying to restrict things. Drove my car home, put it in storage for winter & deployment, and drove the moving truck back.

They pay for the weight you haul. In my case they paid for the weight of my 3 bay toolbox (which I needed the rollback to load and unload), a bunch of spare TA & pickup parts, and all of my stuff. Weigh before you load up and after you are all loaded up. I even did the goody 2 shoes move of refueling at the same service station right before each weigh to eliminate the weight of fuel.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Awake455
Command_Post? 0 posts? I may suck at math but shouldn't your post in this thread actually move your thread count to, oh I dunno, 1 post?
Never made it to the FAQ Stickies eh?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/6882718-post4.html
Old 06-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Teching In

the zero is just oh so mysterious.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
the zero is just oh so mysterious.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

I feel the pain... got orders and am doing a TMO move with part DITY. 3 cars to take

taking a weeks leave to do house hunting, so driving the V up to South Dakota (from Texas) and flying back. then renting uhaul truck and trailor for the TA and the wife is driving her truck
Old 06-27-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

no one answered my question on what the order is for moving cars... I know we say that we can move two cars, but I am pretty sure that TMO told one of my buddies that they would not move ANY cars and that he would have to pay out of pocket. I just want to know where to look up the order on moving vehicles so I can quote it when they tell me I cannot do it.

Quick Reply: Moving w/2 cars...TMO vs DITY moves