Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Any B-2 guys on here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Any B-2 guys on here?

I'm thinking about transfering to a B-2 base and wondered if anyone here had any input about them. I've been a crew chief on C-130s, LC-130s and C-5s for 9 years and just wanted to know if they're a PITA to work on in comparison.

Thanks

Oh and also i heard their made of UFO parts.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess there's no Whiteman guys here...
Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There used to be a few guys from Whiteman, try a seach and see if that comes up with anything.

I have known a few guys that turned wrenches on them. They seemed to have liked it but said there is a lot of down time but just as much busy time.

When the brids are flying across the pond and back there is not much to do but when they are on the ground you are super busy.

Said that when they were gone you got to go home quite a bit but had to crank out the hours a lot when the birds were there.

You might do a search online for a B-2 Crew Chief forum, I know their is a big one for 16's.

The guys that I knew had no complaints about the airplane but thats all I know.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an ex sheetmetal guy yes they are a ******* pig to work on. Every time you take a panel off it's a nightmare... Big cool *** bomber, but LABOR INTENSIVE. I'll take a pig of a C-5 or 130 anyday over the B-2.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADMFR
As an ex sheetmetal guy yes they are a ******* pig to work on. Every time you take a panel off it's a nightmare... Big cool *** bomber, but LABOR INTENSIVE. I'll take a pig of a C-5 or 130 anyday over the B-2.
Every airplane flying is a pig when it comes to sheetmetal/structures hahaha.

I have spent many ah hours in the deepest darkest depths of commercial aircraft, most trying to replace coroded metal UNDER the lav area.....

Blue juice fun......
Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Every airplane flying is a pig when it comes to sheetmetal/structures hahaha.

I have spent many ah hours in the deepest darkest depths of commercial aircraft, most trying to replace coroded metal UNDER the lav area.....

Blue juice fun......
Perhaps, but when dealing with RAM coatings, dirty **** bitch comes to mind... I can deal with pigs... even **** is better.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Coatings suck..... most if not all on airplanes are really bad for your health..... civilian or millitary...
Old 02-11-2009, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Coatings suck..... most if not all on airplanes are really bad for your health..... civilian or millitary...
truedat! crewed B1's for 8 years. Cant tell you how much hdyro fluid Ive had on me...hell oil, jp8, coolant. Its a leaking SOB!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99WS7
truedat! crewed B1's for 8 years. Cant tell you how much hdyro fluid Ive had on me...hell oil, jp8, coolant. Its a leaking SOB!
Ever had Av Gas or Jet fuel mixed with sweat run down your arm to your arm pit?????

When I was still on the floor I had A system (hydro) on a 737 spring a leak in the wheel well doing ops checks (not enough head pressure on the system)..... well is started spraying on something rahter hot and started to smoke.....

Thats some nasty stuff in smoke form.... found out really qucik that you need to get a resperator....

Think of it this way.... you could have been on SR-71's and played the "don't spew fuel on me launch dance"

Well called the green primer "green death" and Dynoll..... well we could not think of a bad enough name for that one....

The composites guys I think have it the worst....... I was pretty good at it and still am but a lot of the times I hated life.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm assuming that the common panels are camlocked on and/or screwed on right? Do you have to mess with the coating then? What's a common problem?

I know every acft has it's pita items, big reason i'm sick of c5's (ramp/visor problems, MLG insp lights and leaky struts come to mind) and was curious what the B2 had to offer. I'm trying to make life a little easier for myself if possible. I'm getting old...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
I'm assuming that the common panels are camlocked on and/or screwed on right? Do you have to mess with the coating then? What's a common problem?

I know every acft has it's pita items, big reason i'm sick of c5's (ramp/visor problems, MLG insp lights and leaky struts come to mind) and was curious what the B2 had to offer. I'm trying to make life a little easier for myself if possible. I'm getting old...

Im pretty sure the coating stuff gets done by the compsite guys but I could be wrong... I am pretty sure the stealth aircraft are coated 100% if that answers your question.

I have never heard of an A/C that does not have a leaky MLG haha.

Every A/C has its issues that allways go wrong.... its just a sad fact of life.... I can tell you all the major corrosion areas on a 737 300/500........ even with the A/C togehter.... if you know the common issues and how to fix them fast is makes you a better wrench turner.

Ever thought about going QA????

Thought about B-1's or 52's????? You would work in the swamps or in the cold hahaha.

Saw a thing on AF 1 the other day,,, it was in Saudi I thing and the crew Chief has a leaky MLG and needed this seal for and actuater and he has a really nice blue jump suit on and the Saudi goes... " Our 747's are not equiped with that actuator...." The look on that guys face was priceless...

If a MLG is not leaking something is wrong

If you wanted to cross train to compsites there is a lot of money in it on the civilian side...

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 02-12-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, does anyone know for a fact that crew chiefs need a top secret clearance to work b2's? I've heard a few opinions but no def answer yet.

Quick Reply: Any B-2 guys on here?