Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Runway at cherry point open for racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runway at cherry point open for racing

we are trying to decide if it would be worth it to close the runway at MCAS Cherry Point so Marines stationed on or near the base could bring their cars out to race if you are interested please P.M. thank you.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that would be awesome. good luck getting the tower to approve it though
Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Teching In

dude that would be ******* sweet as hell b/c there is nothin for us to do here and that would diff. make life better!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsteele90
that would be awesome. good luck getting the tower to approve it though
Agreed, if you had an aircraft with an emergency and that was the only runway he/she could safley land on then that would be a problem, but if everyone approves it then cool.

There is a race at a local airport here (smaller but has a tower and had biz jets come in) and the only place there is not any racing is the runway.

All the money goes to charity and they use the ramp for a auto-x, might be worth looking into oat a small local airport. A lot less red tape.

Its hard to do something like this with an active airport. If its large enough and you can keep everyone over on one sade far away from aircraft and all then it can work.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Have fun on the FOD walk after someone pushes the rods out and oils down an 1/8th mile of the runway

Other than that, it sounds like a blast!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

that would be great to see. they use one of our mat areas for the local corvette clubs auto cross down here at New River, that way the runways are still available for arrivals and departures. you may want to post this up onwww.rwhp.us since alot of members from havelock/jville are on there(you may already be on there just different screen name?). Also if you sell it to the headshed that any money raised will go toward toys for tots or something of that nature it may sway their decision in the right way. Just make sure when you meet with them that you have all bases covered, the whole ORM thing. do you have any dates in mind yet

Last edited by TKTMAGNT; 03-07-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Teching In

The paper work is being done through the saftey office at VMA-542 however nothing is for sure. we dont have any dates yet. right now their is a paper in VMA-542s Airframes shop we need names to get this approve so any help would be great. if anything is made final i will post it. thanks for your help.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Teching In

that would be awesome, i know a couple guys whod be interested
Old 03-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Teching In

As a point of reference I am the current Executive Officer of MCAS Cherry Point. I can say for certain there will NOT be any 1/8 or 1/4 mile runs anywhere on Cherry Point. We explored the possibilities and its just not going to happen. With that said, we are in contact with the SCCA and if all goes well we will have our first SCCA Novice school/AutoX event in June of this year. The course will be set up on FOXTROT taxiway. When all is finalized there will be an announcement in the Air Station paper. I will be there with my stroked 80 Vette and my 09 G8 GT.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rclinton
As a point of reference I am the current Executive Officer of MCAS Cherry Point. I can say for certain there will NOT be any 1/8 or 1/4 mile runs anywhere on Cherry Point. We explored the possibilities and its just not going to happen. With that said, we are in contact with the SCCA and if all goes well we will have our first SCCA Novice school/AutoX event in June of this year. The course will be set up on FOXTROT taxiway. When all is finalized there will be an announcement in the Air Station paper. I will be there with my stroked 80 Vette and my 09 G8 GT.
Talking about coming straight from the horses mouth!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Well at least the cone killing is a go although i can't figure out why no 1320 action is approved. My suggestion is do the autocross in conjunction with the car show the SMP does
Old 03-13-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TKTMAGNT
Well at least the cone killing is a go although i can't figure out why no 1320 action is approved. My suggestion is do the autocross in conjunction with the car show the SMP does
Saftey has to be one of the reasons. Super low risk of injruy and damage in cone killing. Drag is another story.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TKTMAGNT
When we explored the pros and cons of the types of auto enthusiast activities to explore on base, 1/4 mile drag racing was eliminated mostly to to the risk/reward/insurance discussion. SCCA bring with them full insurance coverage at no cost to the Marine Corps as well as self policing/tech inspection basically the whole package for an activity with less risk of serious incident. There just isn't a 1/4 mile setup that would cover all the issues from the commanders perspective. With that said, I would suggest that if 1/4 mile racing is your thing, Sundays Coastal Plains dragway offers open runs. http://www.coastalplainsraceway.com/dragway/

UPDATE we meet with SCCA on Tuesday and tentative date for our first event is 14 June. I will keep all informed and maybe if there is interest we can coordinate a car show auto enthusiast day to run concurrently.

Let me know whats on your mind and Ill carry it forward.

Last edited by rclinton; 03-14-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

I'd be interested! But it has to be on the 19th and 20th! I'm in jersey and flying in there for a day then taking off. I'll just throw the camaro on the jet haha
Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Teching In

UPDATE on AutoX:

We met with the SCCA Representatives and looks like 13-14 June will be the first AutoX scheduled at MCAS Cherry Point. A few details.

Open to Core SCCA members, active duty military and dependents, retired military and civilian Marines aboard the Air Station.

Saturday 13 June will be for the novice school, no cost and is provided to all as a hands on training opportunity if you haven't autox'ed before.

Sunday 14 June is the AutoX event. Registration in the morning, tech inspections then open runs in the afternoon.

Cost for military is $25 unless you are a SCCA member.

MCCS Will have concession stands available.

There will be flyers, newspaper information and on line sites as they are developed.

Looks like we are off to a great start. See ya there.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

UPDATE on AutoX:

We met with the SCCA Representatives and looks like 13-14 June will be the first AutoX scheduled at MCAS Cherry Point. A few details.

Open to Core SCCA members, active duty military and dependents, retired military and civilian Marines aboard the Air Station.

Saturday 13 June will be for the novice school, no cost and is provided to all as a hands on training opportunity if you haven't autox'ed before.

Sunday 14 June is the AutoX event. Registration in the morning, tech inspections then open runs in the afternoon.

There will be flyers, newspaper information and on line sites as they are developed.

Sounds good to me!! I do work at CHPT but never considered myself a "civilian Marine". Does that translate into "DOD employees"?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by junior28570
Sounds good to me!! I do work at CHPT but never considered myself a "civilian Marine". Does that translate into "DOD employees"?

Exactly! Look in the Air Station paper and the MCAS Website for further info. I will post here as it becomes available.
Additionally SCCA is holding an event at MCAS New River this weekend.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Teching In

UPDATE on AutoX:

UPDATE

The AutoX on the 14th is officially a go.

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...sevent_id=9681

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...sevent_id=9681

I'll be there with my PSM G8. If your there stop by and say hey.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Launching!

#($()@($*%$))!!!!!

I just got stationed at cherry point 6 months ago. After determining that the car scene here is totally dead, I put my auto-x LT1 camaro up for sale. My car is sold and being picked up on friday........

And NOW I find out there is gonna be an auto-x circuit in my backyard! DAMMIT!

Skipper:

Is this gonna be a regular monthly event, or just a one time fun run? I might consider cancelling the sale.

EDIT: I just registered for the race with my 99 Trans Am in A-stock. VMAT-203 Hawks are being represented by some American Muscle!

Last edited by LT Malice; 05-28-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT Malice
#($()@($*%$))!!!!!

I just got stationed at cherry point 6 months ago. After determining that the car scene here is totally dead, I put my auto-x LT1 camaro up for sale. My car is sold and being picked up on friday........

And NOW I find out there is gonna be an auto-x circuit in my backyard! DAMMIT!

Skipper:

Is this gonna be a regular monthly event, or just a one time fun run? I might consider cancelling the sale.

EDIT: I just registered for the race with my 99 Trans Am in A-stock. VMAT-203 Hawks are being represented by some American Muscle!
If all goes well, we should be able to run an event 4 times a year at Cherry Point to compliment the 4 times a year they run at New River.

Quick Reply: Runway at cherry point open for racing