Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking of RE-enlisting in the Corps

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of RE-enlisting in the Corps

I've been out for a couple of years now and seen and done things that sounded like great ideas. I am realizing the grass isn't always greener on the other side for some of us.

Short rundown:

I did 4 years and a 6 month extension that ended in December of 2006. I was a Cpl in Pendleton at the time and my MOS was 7051. (Aircraft Rescue Fire-Fighting) I didn't really want to get out at the time but my wife didn't want me to stay in because I was considering a lat move and she was tired of the deployments.

I spent the next 5 months after my EAS catching up with people that I no longer really cared to be around, riding my Harley, and growing that beard the Corps always told me I couldn't have. I then got hired on as a firefighter for a company here in Iraq where I make pretty good money (read lots of hours @ a little under $18 per hour, money really isn't THAT good if you think about it) but my benefits are crap. Now, ex-wife bailed on me last year with everything but the stuff in my sig..I made out well if you ask me.

I plan to finish my current contract that is up in July and possibly sign up for another year to make up what I got screwed out of in the divorce. I just turned 26 so I'll be 27 if/when I try to re-enlist.

Has anyone here had experience with "broken service" re-enlistment? My IRR end date is October of this year so I'm not sure if I'll get to keep my rank since I'd be going past it according to my plan. I haven't gotten any more tattoos than I had when I was in (pre-sleeve ban) but I'm still worried about it and having to jump through hoops with waivers.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can be done. I know it is harder right now than it has been in a while though. The plus up to 202K has been going ahead of schedule, so they are making it harder for people to get in. Check the Marine Times website, I know they did an article on it in late Jan or early Feb, and they had a list of MOS's that were closed out to broken time re enlistment. You might not get right back in, or have to wait till the begining of the fiscal year to get what you want, unless you were planning on lat moving to one of the hot fields like recon, EOD or intel.
As for the tattoos, did you get the Pg 11 showing what your tattoos were? If not, I can see you having to do waivers...
Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a year and a half break in service when i went from army to air force. i was able to keep my rank but i did have to get a few waivers. it's going to be all up to the recruiter you go to. if he's lazy, he'll tell you it can't be done. don't stop there. i went to 4 recruiters before i found one that would put in the extra work. it might be easier for you since you're not changing services.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. LT1Hawk..I did look into all of that and checked the list of mos' with boatspaces. I intend to try to get a spot in CBRF since my MOS was 7051 and I know a few people up there. (my old CWO in particular) If I can't get a spot there I will lat move to EOD.

Quick Reply: Thinking of RE-enlisting in the Corps