Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

USAF Careers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009 | 02:22 PM
Teching In

Flyers make a lot more, enlisted or officer. I'm not just talking about flight pay. Per diem, hostile fire pay, family seperation pay, hazardous duty pay- this is where the money's at. Flyer's make on average 20,000 a year more than their grounded counterparts. Full rate per diem flying a day through ramstein is aroung 140 bucks a day.
Old 04-13-2009 | 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
while his post wasn't as nice as mine he said exactly what i was thinking.

the military isn't looking for people that ask what the military can do for them.

Not so sure about that....the Army as recently as last year was giving huge bonuses just to sign up, paying off student loans, and now the much improved GI Bill. Not all (perhaps most) join for selfless reasons. Which is why in times of slow/depressed economies, enlistments are up.

Everyone signs up for different reasons. I wouldnt discourage the guy for asking general questions. He is just trying to make an informed decision. I applaud the guy for just considering joining.
Old 04-13-2009 | 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Xavier Blade
Flyers make a lot more, enlisted or officer. I'm not just talking about flight pay. Per diem, hostile fire pay, family seperation pay, hazardous duty pay- this is where the money's at. Flyer's make on average 20,000 a year more than their grounded counterparts. Full rate per diem flying a day through ramstein is aroung 140 bucks a day.

Fortunately, everyone get the same $3.50 a day in the desert, which is where most will end up.

With the guy talking about keeping his family together, I doubt he wants to be in a career field where they would be deployed/TDY more than necessary.
Old 04-14-2009 | 08:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by getsomz29
Not so sure about that....the Army as recently as last year was giving huge bonuses just to sign up, paying off student loans, and now the much improved GI Bill. Not all (perhaps most) join for selfless reasons. Which is why in times of slow/depressed economies, enlistments are up.

Everyone signs up for different reasons. I wouldnt discourage the guy for asking general questions. He is just trying to make an informed decision. I applaud the guy for just considering joining.
what do you consider a huge bonus? that "bonus" is paying for YEARS of service so you should spread that amount out over the years you have to sign up for and think about how much $$ that really is...

say you got a $20,000 bonus for 6 years because you signed up for xxx job:

that's only $3333/year WITHOUT being taxed, is that worth it to someoone who does not want to leave their current area or deploy from their family? HELL NO.
Old 04-14-2009 | 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
what do you consider a huge bonus? that "bonus" is paying for YEARS of service so you should spread that amount out over the years you have to sign up for and think about how much $$ that really is...

say you got a $20,000 bonus for 6 years because you signed up for xxx job:

that's only $3333/year WITHOUT being taxed, is that worth it to someoone who does not want to leave their current area or deploy from their family? HELL NO.

You missed the point...

all of the above I wrote is what the military is doing to entice people to join, since they know eveyone doesnt join just because of some "duty" to serve.

Last edited by getsomz29; 04-14-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2009 | 09:00 AM
On The Tree

OP, you need to open up your choices. Sounds like you grew up in CA and want to stay there. if so then join the reserves or guard. I originally wanted to stay around the southeast. that didn't happen. With my dream sheet blank, I got Ramstien Germany for my first base. And my eyes were opened up by traveling to egypt, turkey, scotland, england, spain, hawaii, korea, sweden, amsterdam, italy, greece to just name a few places. I sure as hell don't like visiting anywhere in the middle east. but i love europe. i been stuck in the northeast for 4 years and finally got my ticket back to Europe. I am going to England. I can always go back home to where i am from to visit, its not going anywhere.

I meet a lot of people wanting to get stationed back close to home. Most will never change their mind, but lot people i meet regret it after a year or two passes by. Take a chance and put down some overseas bases or east coast and change it up. You may hate it or love it, plus its only what 3 or 4 years you can always get out when time is up. Plus the expierence you get money can't buy.
Old 04-16-2009 | 09:55 AM
Teching In

wow dude, that's an awesome list.
Old 04-16-2009 | 01:22 PM
On The Tree

thanks, it wouldn't of happened with out being in the AF and living overseas
Old 04-22-2009 | 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
No offense dude, but the military isn't for you. If you think $40,000+ straight out of college sucks, then you're better off finding a job in the civilian world. Most people that join the military, especially out of college, do it because they want to serve their country. If you're already complaining about the pay and worrying about staying in Cali, I can only imagine what kind of Officer you'd make. Good luck!
I have to at least partially agree.

Originally Posted by PongoX11
Hence why I am asking questions, and yes $40k straight out of college does suck, I already make that without a degree. I can appreciate the fact that I will make less in the military (great experience, rock solid stability, etc, etc), but if I assume that the base military salary as seen on the chart is the maximum, it will not be a fair comparison to other opportunities. ie: $40k max and $40k + Housing Allowance is a big difference and thus might be a viable contender against a $65k/yr civilian job.
In addition your tone is unnecessary and I found zero information in your response so you need not reply to my thread again, thanks.
It depends on what you want. If you just want a 9-5 job that pays big $, go elsewhere. The problem is (especially in Cali) that the economy sucks a big one right now. Even if you find a great paying job today, who's gonna say if its going to be around tomorrow.

Keep in mind that you are just looking at the base pay. BAH, as mentioned previously, is in addition to your base pay. As an officer you'll make decent BAH. But what you really have to also consider is what all else you get. If you join Active Duty, your family (wife+kids) will also have full health coverage for free. Half the time you get killer discounts on things such as car insurance, even groceries on base. Plus you get the GI bill which when the new one passes will allow your spouse and possibly your kids to go to college on it. There are other money incentives as well such as possible fly pay, if you get deployed seperation pay, tax free, hostile fire pay, hardship duty pay.

I am just an O-1E right now (that means I was previously enlisted, and am now an officer), and I am telling you with the two fully paid for F-bodies in my sig, + a 3rd car, I don't have any money problems, and I live in a decent house.

But the thing that matters the most, isn't the money, its what BADFNZ was talking about. If you are in it for the money, then its not really going to be for you. You may do it anyways, but if your hearts not in it for what your job is, and thats defending the country down to possibly your life, then trust me dude, don't do it, because you won't like it.

I made a lot more money on the outside before I joined, but hated life. It wasn't until I joined, and did my job for the first time that I knew my place in this life. I honestly would do this job for free. How many people in life actually get to live their dreams? This kid was lucky enough to. And there is nothing on this earth, including salaries that I would trade it for. I love my counrty and would die in protecting it. But thats just me...

Last edited by CALL911; 04-22-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2009 | 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CALL911
But the thing that matters the most, isn't the money, its what BADFNZ was talking about. If you are in it for the money, then its not really going to be for you. You may do it anyways, but if your hearts not in it for what your job is, and thats defending the country down to possibly your life, then trust me dude, don't do it, because you won't like it.

I made a lot more money on the outside before I joined, but hated life. It wasn't until I joined, and did my job for the first time that I knew my place in this life. I honestly would do this job for free. How many people in life actually get to live their dreams? This kid was lucky enough to. And there is nothing on this earth, including salaries that I would trade it for. I love my counrty and would die in protecting it. But thats just me...
2!

I was making good money out of college, doing a job I loved. But my heart wasn't there. All I was doing all day was thinking about what else I could be doing with my life. I decided that serving my country was something I wanted to do and haven't looked back since.

Now I'm getting paid good money to fly cool ****, doing stuff that most people only dream of. There are days I want to kill myself, because I had a bad flight or something, but then I remember that I could be sitting behind a desk right now being miserable and all of a sudden my day doesn't seem so bad. There's that saying where if you find something you love doing, you'll never have to work a day in your life. Well, not once have I considered what I'm doing "work", because I'm just living a dream. The money, benefits, etc are just bonuses.
Old 04-24-2009 | 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

2!

I was making good money out of college, doing a job I loved. But my heart wasn't there. All I was doing all day was thinking about what else I could be doing with my life. I decided that serving my country was something I wanted to do and haven't looked back since.

Now I'm getting paid good money to fly cool ****, doing stuff that most people only dream of. There are days I want to kill myself, because I had a bad flight or something, but then I remember that I could be sitting behind a desk right now being miserable and all of a sudden my day doesn't seem so bad. There's that saying where if you find something you love doing, you'll never have to work a day in your life. Well, not once have I considered what I'm doing "work", because I'm just living a dream. The money, benefits, etc are just bonuses.
Couldn't agree more man. I used to hear people say when asked "how ya doin'" reply "livin' the dream", but they were joking. I can honestly reply with that now. There is nothing that compares to the feeling of defending freedom. To top it off, all while being an Air Force pilot (well, in training at least so far). When I was growing up, this was one of those jobs we all dreamed about when we were kids, and everyone wanted, but as life progressed we realized how difficult if not near damn impossible it was to get here. That kind of makes it even a little more sweet knowing I am part of this elite group having the opportunity that so many never even had the chance of. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I take it you are in phase 2? I am half way through phase 1 here at Columbus with StoleIt. He and I are actually meeting up later today.
Old 04-24-2009 | 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

To the OP, or anyone else in his shoes contemplating the military. I will say openly the military isn't for anyone. For every happy person I meet in the military, I also meet someone who is miserable because they didn't do research on thier career, or they are here for all the wrong reasons.

The military takes a lot from you. I have yet to spend a single anniversary with my wife, missed countless holidays, birthdays, and even scheduled vacations due to missions and deployments. But I am completely fine with that. I have found my calling in life. I have a feeling StoleIt, and BADFNZ are in the same boat.

Some of my favorite times in the military have been while deployed. I was happy to come home, but it was a feeling nothing could compare to being in the fight in my previous career field, and really making a difference. This is the stuff I live for, and would gladly die for.

If this doesn't sound like its for you, then don't do it. You will regret it, and as BADFNZ stated in more words than less, you won't be doing the military any favors either.
Old 04-24-2009 | 09:52 PM
Launching!

Very good info in this thread. I've been thinking about joining the AF for a few years to get some type of stabilty in my life but i've always put it aside. Is the age limit on flight school 24 with a degree? I was told that but never looked into it.
Old 04-24-2009 | 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by R W B
Very good info in this thread. I've been thinking about joining the AF for a few years to get some type of stabilty in my life but i've always put it aside. Is the age limit on flight school 24 with a degree? I was told that but never looked into it.
According to the current regulation (as it changes from time to time), you must be in UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training) prior to your 30th birthday (and this is something they will not accept waivers for right now).

Keep in mind you will also need your commission prior to beggining UPT. There are a few ways to go about this whether it be ROTC or OTS like I did. Unfortunatly theres a lot more to becoming a pilot than just these requirements.

You also will need a clean criminal record, good credit record, hold a decent GPA in college, no real bad driving record, be able to get a top secret security clearance, and pass a very thourough flight physical (this is what fails most people). Then you also must take the AFOQT (Air Force Officer Qualification Test), as well as the TBAS test (eye hand coordination test). On top of all that you will also need to do better on all that than the majority of your peers did in order to have a shot.

I won't lie, its damn hard to get there. Thousands literally apply each year. When I first applied, there were 682 applicants, of which 18 were selected. I didn't make it my first application, and only had 1 more shot before I was too old. I was one lucky dude when that last chance was all I needed.

I'm telling you this not to discourage you, but to make you aware of all what it takes just to be looked at. It's nothing to take lightly. We're talking about becoming a pilot in the USAF, not for the airlines, or the NAVY, but the Air Force. It ain't easy. But if you somehow are able to get lucky enough to get in like I did, it is the most glorious and most epic things you could ever dream of.
Old 04-25-2009 | 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Couldn't agree more man. I used to hear people say when asked "how ya doin'" reply "livin' the dream", but they were joking. I can honestly reply with that now. There is nothing that compares to the feeling of defending freedom. To top it off, all while being an Air Force pilot (well, in training at least so far). When I was growing up, this was one of those jobs we all dreamed about when we were kids, and everyone wanted, but as life progressed we realized how difficult if not near damn impossible it was to get here. That kind of makes it even a little more sweet knowing I am part of this elite group having the opportunity that so many never even had the chance of. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I take it you are in phase 2? I am half way through phase 1 here at Columbus with StoleIt. He and I are actually meeting up later today.
I'm in Phase 2 but I'm T-6 complete. I had my Form check this past Tuesday. I track in 3 weeks, so I've been playing a lot of golf to pass the time. It's nice to have a little time to power down after a constant 5-month *** kicking.

If you have any questions about anything, let me know while it's still fresh in my brain.
Old 04-25-2009 | 01:54 PM

I like what CALL911 said the military ain't right for everyone, and boy is that absolutely right, im in the Army been in for 4 years now got my E-5 (sergeant) and i can tell you if you dont mind putting up with a little bit of BS every now and again. Then this would the absolutely easiest job you could ever have. Me I love being enlisted (not as much paperwork) haha no but seriously if you like working hard and having something to accomplish then its great. as the deployments im just about done with my second deployment and unlike these airforce guys (no hard feelings fella's) we have a full year deployed which sucks especially trying to start a family. Me im getting out of the military like its said its not for everyone but it is an awesome job and some of the best benefits you can get right now, not to mention constant pay check. what else do you need all i can say is that you might not like it but you would never regret it

Thanks and I hope you consider joining the military no matter what branch
Old 04-25-2009 | 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

I'm in Phase 2 but I'm T-6 complete. I had my Form check this past Tuesday. I track in 3 weeks, so I've been playing a lot of golf to pass the time. It's nice to have a little time to power down after a constant 5-month *** kicking.

If you have any questions about anything, let me know while it's still fresh in my brain.
What are you hoping to track? I already know my path as I am a Reservist. I have a few buddies down in Del Rio. Some are T-1 instructors that I used to fly with on the KC-10 back at McGuire. Others are guys I went to OTS with that will soon be starting UPT.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it

Best of luck on the track select
Old 04-26-2009 | 01:55 AM
Launching!

According to the current regulation (as it changes from time to time), you must be in UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training) prior to your 30th birthday (and this is something they will not accept waivers for right now).

Keep in mind you will also need your commission prior to beggining UPT. There are a few ways to go about this whether it be ROTC or OTS like I did. Unfortunatly theres a lot more to becoming a pilot than just these requirements.

You also will need a clean criminal record, good credit record, hold a decent GPA in college, no real bad driving record, be able to get a top secret security clearance, and pass a very thourough flight physical (this is what fails most people). Then you also must take the AFOQT (Air Force Officer Qualification Test), as well as the TBAS test (eye hand coordination test). On top of all that you will also need to do better on all that than the majority of your peers did in order to have a shot.

I won't lie, its damn hard to get there. Thousands literally apply each year. When I first applied, there were 682 applicants, of which 18 were selected. I didn't make it my first application, and only had 1 more shot before I was too old. I was one lucky dude when that last chance was all I needed.

I'm telling you this not to discourage you, but to make you aware of all what it takes just to be looked at. It's nothing to take lightly. We're talking about becoming a pilot in the USAF, not for the airlines, or the NAVY, but the Air Force. It ain't easy. But if you somehow are able to get lucky enough to get in like I did, it is the most glorious and most epic things you could ever dream of.
Nah, you didnt discourage me at all, infact thats the exact info I've been tring to get for a while now. Recruters tell you what you wanna hear or what they think you do anyway and I've never been told half that stuff, hell, a while ago one told me you had to be 24 with a degree to apply to flight school but I would be better doing ???(I forgot what feild he wanted me to go into) but yeah, thanks for the info. In that case its not to late at all for me to try.
Old 05-10-2009 | 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys I just got comissioned last week! Going in as an O-3E dental corp. I goto COTS (?) training in alabama then spend a year at Eglin. Should be fun! Pay is ok I could make more on the outside but training options are great and pay isnt bad either...
Old 05-10-2009 | 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mobius
Hey guys I just got comissioned last week! Going in as an O-3E dental corp. I goto COTS (?) training in alabama then spend a year at Eglin. Should be fun! Pay is ok I could make more on the outside but training options are great and pay isnt bad either...
Slow down there Doc, if you got Commissioned already, then that means you have already gone through COT. My guess is that you signed the paper work, and you will be going to Maxwell in AL for COT to get your Commission. COT is a joke compared to OTS, which is a joke compared to the Academy. Enjoy your short time there. You definatly got lucky as once you do get your commission, you will be a Captain right off the bat.

Quick Reply: USAF Careers?