Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

USAF Careers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope I havent completed cots yet and deffinately got comissioned last week. raised the right hand and all... You are right from what I hear COTS is super easy compared to the rest. I did basic training in the Navy a long time ago so I'm sure COTS will be fun. I would have gotten my ID same day but it was by appointment only. I graduate in two weeks so not quite a Doc yet, but looking forward to it!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CALL911
Slow down there Doc, if you got Commissioned already, then that means you have already gone through COT. My guess is that you signed the paper work, and you will be going to Maxwell in AL for COT to get your Commission. COT is a joke compared to OTS, which is a joke compared to the Academy. Enjoy your short time there. You definatly got lucky as once you do get your commission, you will be a Captain right off the bat.
COT peeps get their commission before actually going to COT, which is why it's called Commissioned Officer Training.

They're a funny breed. At OTS, we share the complex with COT, but the only difference is they're already commissioned and we're not. You couldn't tell though. I can't tell you how many times I was saluted by a COT 2Lt or Capt just because they didn't know any better.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
COT peeps get their commission before actually going to COT, which is why it's called Commissioned Officer Training.

They're a funny breed. At OTS, we share the complex with COT, but the only difference is they're already commissioned and we're not. You couldn't tell though. I can't tell you how many times I was saluted by a COT 2Lt or Capt just because they didn't know any better.
I can't believe I forgot this already! You are both correct. COT is commissioned before COT. And yes, I remember all the stupid stuff from the COT students. They really made for a good laugh. 100% of them didn't have a clue on what was going on from beggining to end. But as mentioned, its a quick process.

I remember one dude coming up to me after I'd already been at OTS for 2 months and telling me after he'd been there for a week "don't worry buddy, you'll get done soon". When he would be done in a couple of weeks, and I still had 2 months left.

I am so glad I am done with all of that!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep 4 weeks tough stuff. I think we have some management classes and military protocol and weekends off. After 8 years of college I am quite ok with a short easy training school. And I already did basic for 8 weeks.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mobius
Yep 4 weeks tough stuff. I think we have some management classes and military protocol and weekends off. After 8 years of college I am quite ok with a short easy training school. And I already did basic for 8 weeks.
It's not easy, its just short. You actually have to do all the academics we did in OTS, but have a fraction of the time to do them in. You will have it easier overall, but thats pretty much because as COT you are all doctors and lawyers, not Security Forces officers and pilots, and officers that are much more likely to see live fire up close and personal. Not that I think OTS gives you any kind of really usefull training for any of that anyways, but they do try.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got commissioned after 13 years as a TSgt/ E-6. Now I'm an 1Lt/0-2 (thats right not O-2E). Coming up on Capt soon. I think the pay is just fine. I'm doing what I wanted ever since I was 5. I think that the added benefits also help. But thats just my opinion.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and T-6's ROCK!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: USAF Careers?