Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Coastguard Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coastguard Questions

Well I am trying to get on with police departments in my area if this doesnt work out I am thinking of joining the coastguard. I have 6 years prior in the Navy so I would go in as prior enlisted.

I hear that I would be able to choose and get my top three duty stations and come in as a e3

I am thinkin about GM rate and trying to Be a MSST is anyone on here A MSST or know someone who is? How long did it take them to be a MSST
Old 05-15-2009, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the one thing that sucks about the Coast Guard is that you will come back as an E-3 no matter what. The duty station picks I think is a myth. The best thing they might be able to do for you from what I have seen is to gaurentee you a certain district possibly. For instance if you got gaurenteed district 5, then you could end up anywhere from northern jersey to north carolina. To see what districts there are, check out the CG website. Normally promising certain stations right out of basic is bogus. I don't believe you have to do the entire basic again but just PITSTOP (only a couple weeks instead of 20 weeks). I know the MSST and MSRT (<---that's the one you want) programs are not easy to get because everyone wants them, but I would talk to a recruiter about what he/she can do for you. As for GM, I was originally going that rate but changed my mind once I saw what they really do. Everyone else gets to have the fun with firing weapons while the GM's count bullits and clean them a vast majority of the time. They do get to shoot but not as often as you think they do. There are also aerial gunners now on HH-65s and are made up of BMs, MKs, and GMs mostly.
AET2 Michael McKinney

If you need anymore info that I can help you with let me know.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

/\ this guy is CRAZY!!!!!!!! LMAO JP hes a good guy. if you want i can get you in touch with a GM3 he might be a GM2 by now. that could help you out also. where are you located?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
/\ this guy is CRAZY!!!!!!!! LMAO JP hes a good guy. if you want i can get you in touch with a GM3 he might be a GM2 by now. that could help you out also. where are you located?
Located in Burleson near Ft Worth.. The recruiter was telling me to go in as a GM and that it may take me a yr to get my MSST package accepted

So what would be a better rate to go in besides gunners mate?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm an AET so I can be bias towards aviation of course. AET or AMT which is the most fun damn job in the world. Get paid to fix and fly on whatever aircraft you get. CG is the only branch that fixes and flys if you didn't know. AST is not to bad but if you have thoughts about it, better start working out/training now lol. But if you want to go to the boat world it depends on what you want. If you want to be incharge of just about everything then BM, just like the Navy. If you want to make E-7 faster than imaginable then FS, it is possible to make it in 7-8 years... really It depends on what you want in the long run if you come in. Choose your rate, choose you fate... a very common phrase indeed.

Don't let that recruiter BS you to bad, if you want answers I will get them for you. We have MSRT guys here in Elizabeth City (tact/strike team that repels from HH-60s). I can ask them exactly what the deal is for them because MSST will be the exact same as it is for them to get that billet.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

listen to mike he pretty much hit thr nail on the head. do some of ur own research before signin anything. of u have thoughts of bein a swimmer go AMT or AET first make rank then if i fail out of s.the pool u can still be in the best part of the CG. lol like mike said dont let the recruiter feed u bs
Old 05-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Also, the ME rate is coming on line shortly, there should be a message out in june with the billet structure and information on how to lateral over. I dont know what that means as far as an A school but its something to think about since you indicated you are interested in law enforcement. The 2 most popular rates in the CG are BM and MK, and i bet its the 2 most popular MSST rates as well. Being a GM wont really have an effect on wether or not you go to an MSST unit.
-BM2 Smith

Quick Reply: Coastguard Questions