Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

CA members emissions and registration questions (crossposted from Western)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CA members emissions and registration questions (crossposted from Western)

I posted this in the western regional section too, but on the off chance someone here knows I though I should post it here too. Thanks in advance for the help.

Im currently stationed in AZ. However Im looking at transfering to Travis. My car is modified and Im pretty sure that it would not pass emissions in CA.

My questions are regarding the visual portion. My car is a 2000, but has EGR removed. Would the people realize that it was supposed to have it? or could it pass for an 01? also I have long tube headers and no cats, if I were to weld cats into the pipe would I be likely to pass the visual?
Ive also heard that you arent allowed to have a modified exhaust in any way, I have duals. how big of an issue is that gonna be?

Alot of this can be avoided I think if I can keep my vehicle registered in AZ. Will California give me a hard time for having an out of state car? Even though I am military?

finally I have some questions about external mods. My tail lights, side markers and corners are all tinted. I plan on sanding down the tail lights so they are stock again, but how much hassling am I gonna get for the side and corners? My car is also tinted. Its not incrediblly dark but IIRC CA doesnt allow any tint on the door windows?

I know alot of this is gonna be at the disctretion of the officer that pulls me over, but I wanted to ask.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

When I smogged my GTO, I had LT's w/cats, the guy saw the kooks plate on the headers and said that was the CARB stamp, which I knew it wasnt. Either way I passed smog with no problems.

I also kept my car registered in PA, and never had any problems with it out here, so that shouldnt be an issue..
Old 08-05-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently stationed at Beale but use to be stationed at Luke. As far as emissions goes, you'd be better off registering your car in a state that doesn't have any emissions laws unless you plan on driving back to Az every two years for emissions testing. You'll be fine out here in Cali with your car being registered in another state, just make sure that you don't have a Cali driver's license and have your Military ID on you at all times. Tint will be a problem but that all depends on where you drive your car due to the fact that some LE's care about tint and some could careless. Just make sure your car isn't loud enough to attract unwanted attention and you should be fine.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not too sure about the smog portion but I have 5% tint all around on my gto and had the tinted tail lights as well and I havnt gotten hassled at all. Just depends on if you get pulled over I guess and how much of a dick the cop wants to be.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Launching!

i guess it depends on what branch you're in? i've heard some don't need to get smogged, but i had to get a smog check before i could get my decals for the base. luckily, i just got my car from the dealer and it was bone stock. now, since then, i've changed some stuff, but never got hassled for it by cali. i've gotten mixed word on getting smog tickets: some say i can get one, others say i can't (oklahoma has no vehicle inspections anymore ). i've never been hassled about my tint (15% all around), or my true dual exhaust hanging down by the rear end.

i guess i've gotten lucky about everything, or they just don't care much? i've heard here in socal cops are ******** (CHP) but i have yet to have problems. then again, i don't drive like a jackass either.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will fail the smog because of the LTs alone. and the lights arent that big of a deal, a good portion of cars out here have them blacked out. keep the car registered in AZ

Quick Reply: CA members emissions and registration questions (crossposted from Western)