Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

compassionate reassignment to FT HOOD

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default compassionate reassignment to FT HOOD

Hey everyone im about to do a compassionate reassignment to FT HOOD. What can everyone tell me about the post and the area. My home of record is in mckinney which is north of dallas. Im an Engineer 21E currently stationed at Hunter Army Airfield in savannah ga. I am really hoping to be in an engineer unit this time around. Currently stuck in a fueler unit as a mechanic. But my soon has a lot of problems and is special need's and what can you all tell me about the hospitals on and off post. Any info would be great.

Thanks
PV2 James Allender
Old 09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Welcome to the most deployed station in the country! haha.. I've been at Hood for over 4 years... get ready for a lot of weekend roadtrips. The closest track is in Temple (about 25 minute drive) from post. Its not bad, but the drive to Houston Raceway Park is totally worth it. I'll be re-deploying towards the end of the year. Hit me up man.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Sweet what is your mos what can you tell me about the post and housing. how far is dallas from post.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Hood is about 4-5 hours from Dallas. Im front fort worth, and made that drive every single weekend for a year to see my sweetheart.

Its 35 north which splits to 35W north and 35E North. just take 35E N right to your place.
I think there is 2 or 3 21B units. I know alot of 21B's there. I was 21R in 62nd ENG BN. The most decorated eng bn in the army.
I liked hood.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Launching!

62nd is where I want to be at actully. What can you tell me about the unit. anything you can tell me about ft hood would be helpful. I currentley at one of the smallest post in the army. Hunter army airfield is tiny takes 5mins or less to drive around the main part of post and 15 mins premiter of hunter. The PX doesnt have anything worth wanting shoppett isnt 24 hours. The only upside's is your in the middle of downtown savannah, and We fall under 3rd ID so we dont have to deal with all the big dogs from FT Stewart. Its a very relaxed post. So you know what Im coming from. And my unit has no mission at all they sit in a warehouse all day and play cards and bones and sleep, No training they will not let us engineers get stick time with our equipment we have 2 dozers and 2 ctrucks. Im going nuts lol.

James
Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HarrisonTX
Hood is about 4-5 hours from Dallas. Im front fort worth, and made that drive every single weekend for a year to see my sweetheart.

Its 35 north which splits to 35W north and 35E North. just take 35E N right to your place.
I think there is 2 or 3 21B units. I know alot of 21B's there. I was 21R in 62nd ENG BN. The most decorated eng bn in the army.
I liked hood.
its not that far from dallas i drive to weatherford all the time from fort hood and its 2.5 hours away. i am currently in korea but i come back to hood in 7 days so really dont know about the housing
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Im a 63b (wheel mechanic). Im married, so i live off post. the Barracks arent all that bad, just the usual Army BS goes along with em. We usually make it to the track in Dallas in like 3.5 hours. Houston has like 5 tracks, but HRP is like 5 hours, and worth every minute. There's also a shitload (30-40) Fbody's and Vettes that drive to Waco's track just about every weekend.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

fort hood been here since Jan of 04 the traffic sucks and the lights are too long but there is always a mustang or a ricer to kill off
Old 09-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Well, I'll tell you what i know.
If you go to Hood, you will be in the 62nd. I was in Charlie Company from 2005-07. People will know me, lol.

Anyways, they just came home from a 15 month deployment to afghan in July.
We were deployed from dec 05-dec 06 to Baghdad, Iraq. And they deployed again from early 08' till now. I was on leave when they came home, so i drove down to see them get off the bus.
There is alot of history and unit pride there.

I have no idea about the leadership there now, The COL and CSM have changed, but when i was there it was alright. I really cant tell you too much to be honest.
Unless you are dead set on Hood, they are standing up a new Combat Heavy BN at Carson. The 'ol 52nd will be reactivated. My home station is Carson, and its awesome.

Generally hood is alright. Plenty of time off, and Austin is just 45 min away. Its the largest military installation on the planet, so needless to say its pretty large.

Do you have any specific question?
Old 09-20-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FT Hood is the defintion of "ghetto fabulous."

Quick Reply: compassionate reassignment to FT HOOD