Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Questions for all fixed wing pilots

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my EST test at the recruiter and got an 89... probly needs to be way better than that. How do i find out what to study? Do you know of a good way to go about getting civilian training if that will help? I have flown a plane before, a single engine, low wing piper, but no formal training at all.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Having a licsence is not a requirement unless you are older than 28.5, however having one will only help.

You can get study books all over the net for the AFOQT and similar. This is something that you can only take twice, and you have to wait at least 6 months if you want to take it a second time, so study up. I studied for a year and a half before I took mine and it really paid off (got a very high score).

You'll also need to take various hand eye coordination tests and be able to pass a class 1A flight physical. A local recruiter should be able to help you get started with all this.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:48 PM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never understood studying for the AFOQT. Just take the stupid thing.

And Ben, I am area solo complete. I got clouded in though...so it go cut short. Stupid weather.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StoleIt
I know a few people who scored well that way, but chose to study and re-take it. In the end it made a difference for them. Does everybody need to study? No, but when your goal is a flight spot, it helps.

Also, a little flight training can increase your score in the aircraft related sections of the different branch tests.

tip: Don't wait until everything is perfect, just get started and work hard for it. A higher score or flight training might make the difference, but many people have been selected without either. Just do your best, and if you don't make it the first time, try to figure out what you could do to improve your package and try again.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

And Ben, I am area solo complete. I got clouded in though...so it go cut short. Stupid weather.
I knew a few people who didn't study, and they ended up blowing it big time. Later after only having one shot left, two of them I knew didn't make it giving up their last chance. The other one had good enough scores, but still didn't make it past the board.

Theres no reason not to study for it. It won't do anything but help your chances.

Congrats on the area solo. I was flying today as well. Kind of a lousy day to area solo up there.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that you can contract a Pilot position in the USAF without going through ROTC scholarship...

And if so, its very rare.

Only 2% of the USAF are pilots. Air Force Academy students and ROTC scholars get first pickins.

In fact, these days it's next to impossible to get an officer commission without ROTC/USAF... I forgot the percent acceptance... but its VERY LOW.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

All of the answers are great, but i really dont think im going to go into the USAF. I would rather go NAVY or Marines, actually. What kind of things are on the test that i could study right now?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Noodles
I don't think that you can contract a Pilot position in the USAF without going through ROTC scholarship...

And if so, its very rare.

Only 2% of the USAF are pilots. Air Force Academy students and ROTC scholars get first pickins.

In fact, these days it's next to impossible to get an officer commission without ROTC/USAF... I forgot the percent acceptance... but its VERY LOW.
The vast majority of pilots in pilot training right now are from the USAFA, next would easily be OTS, the smallest percentage is ROTC. Perhaps this is something that has changed percentage wise since you checked, but that is how the numbers are right this moment.

The acceptance into all of them are competitive (a bit less though for USAFA). However, if you join the USAFA you don't have a pilot spot garunteed. You are just garunteed that you have an officer spot given if you graduate. They have limited offerings for what kind of officer (and they have lots of spots for pilots), but it still doesn't garuntee anything.

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
All of the answers are great, but i really dont think im going to go into the USAF. I would rather go NAVY or Marines, actually. What kind of things are on the test that i could study right now?
Keep in mind that they all are the same level of difficulty to get into acceptance wise. It's just the actual pilot training that may end up easier. Honestly I would apply to all of them if able to give yourself the most chances (you're going to need it).

Look up to see what the Navy/Marines equivilant to the AFOQT is, then do a google search on study books for it. You'll find plenty, then you can study away. Really this is just a small portion. The paperwork and all the administration work is the harder and MUCH more in depth part.

Get with a recruiter. They will be able to assist you on the specifics.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Teching In

^ Thanks for correcting that for me.

And to the threadstarter: sorry, I only really follow the USAF. Good luck on your quest.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:39 PM
NKAWTG...N

FAZE,

Are you flying Helo's at Rucker with the Air Force? If so, I might need to pick your brain...
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

What does USAFA mean? ....basically whats that last A mean?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Teching In

usaf academy ^
Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

oh, arent i too old to get in there? im 23 now, my best bet would be to graduate from college with a pilots license, study my *** off... but then what?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

You can also apply to OTS, or maybe go through ROTC. But between these two and the USAFA, those are primarily your only means of Commissioning.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Yeah I think 23 is the cut off
Old 12-07-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

ive looked into rotc and ive been told that i have too many college units to go into it right now.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

ive looked into rotc and ive been told that i have too many college units to go into it right now.
Try OTS. Thats how I got in.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

what do i need to get into ots? how old were you when you went in?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

what do i need to get into ots? how old were you when you went in?
This is where the recruiter will be able to fill in all the specifics.

Basically you'll need to put together a package with your diploma and a GPA sheet, as well as an AF Form 56, usually a letter of reccomendation and a few others depending on the specific career field you are applying for. Then a board will meet and look over all the packets and select their Officer candidates to go to OTS.

I was 29 when I went in OTS, so you are fine.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Teching In

FAZE,

Are you flying Helo's at Rucker with the Air Force? If so, I might need to pick your brain...
I'm here with the Army, but I have a close friend that graduated here just over a year ago and went on to the Pavehawk with the Air National Guard. I also know one of the AF instructors here.

PM me and I will do my best to answer your questions, or try to find those answers.

Quick Reply: Questions for all fixed wing pilots