Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

OK...Marine MOS. Experience/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recon is very cool, I would have done that but the two great kids I have stoped me.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Teching In

I was 5711 (NBC) Mar 04-Aug 07 with 3/6 had a fun time doing it but got stuck in the S-3 (Training/OPs). Met alot of good people and had a hell of the time in the chamber and in the field. I started working with a Environmental Consulting Firm as soon as I got out. Just think of what you want to do after you get done.

Last edited by rahmnja; 10-20-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Teching In

While recon is very good at what they do from what I have seen they dont seem to get to do the type of traveling that we do. The reason that we get to do so many cool trips is because we are always going to different places to train foriegn troops. It helps that I am in 1st Group so our area is Asia and there are some very fun places to go. Bangkok Manilla and Singapore just to name a few. But people are right about not much family time between trips to Iraq and Afghanistan and these shorter ones to Allied coutries. But it is alot of fun. LOL
Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking to be an engineer then you should definitely try out the 6xxx MOS's. Most of the schools are accredited so they count towards your degree. I hope your wife has a pretty decent paying job / career and your finances aren't jacked up if you're planning on going in enlisted. If that's not the case, you're setting yourself up for a world of hurt for the first few years... E-2's and 3's don't make that much money these days. Oh, and if you're serious about going to school, do that **** as soon as possible. I know too many people that said the same **** (myself included) that get out with 5+ years of service and nothing to show for it. As for any particular MOS, I suggest anything having to do with the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. Worst case scenario: You do 5 years and decide the Corps sucks (like that'll happen.... lol). IF you went to school and started on that degree like you said you would, that (with your 5 years of experience) could land you a nice-paying civilian job just about anywhere in the world in 2010. that **** and you'll see what I mean But whatever your career choice, I wish you good luck homie
Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01turdbird
While recon is very good at what they do from what I have seen they dont seem to get to do the type of traveling that we do. The reason that we get to do so many cool trips is because we are always going to different places to train foriegn troops. It helps that I am in 1st Group so our area is Asia and there are some very fun places to go. Bangkok Manilla and Singapore just to name a few. But people are right about not much family time between trips to Iraq and Afghanistan and these shorter ones to Allied coutries. But it is alot of fun. LOL
Well we get around just as much as you guys do too. I have been to all those places and more... Plus three desert trips and one more in a a month and a half. With todays environments out there everyone is doing very similar things and joint work out the yin yang.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A Str8 Up G
If you're looking to be an engineer then you should definitely try out the 6xxx MOS's. Most of the schools are accredited so they count towards your degree. I hope your wife has a pretty decent paying job / career and your finances aren't jacked up if you're planning on going in enlisted. If that's not the case, you're setting yourself up for a world of hurt for the first few years... E-2's and 3's don't make that much money these days. Oh, and if you're serious about going to school, do that **** as soon as possible. I know too many people that said the same **** (myself included) that get out with 5+ years of service and nothing to show for it. As for any particular MOS, I suggest anything having to do with the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. Worst case scenario: You do 5 years and decide the Corps sucks (like that'll happen.... lol). IF you went to school and started on that degree like you said you would, that (with your 5 years of experience) could land you a nice-paying civilian job just about anywhere in the world in 2010. that **** and you'll see what I mean But whatever your career choice, I wish you good luck homie
E2 with BAH and all those other allowances come out to a pretty decent monthly income. Like $2500 give or take a hundred. Plus not having to pay for medical and that that jazz. But I am certainly not joining for the perks. Its because I want to join.

Actually a little more than I make now with my one job. And we do pretty well.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Toretto is gay ol pro52
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Packy
Well we get around just as much as you guys do too. I have been to all those places and more... Plus three desert trips and one more in a a month and a half. With todays environments out there everyone is doing very similar things and joint work out the yin yang.
While I knew you guys do alot of traveling I didnt think that you guys made trips like those quite as regularly as us. Thats cool that you do. I know that you guys make lots of trips the the box and the stan. It is crazy who you see doing what these days.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I ended up being an 0811, I had a blast. But then I like blowing things up, and I was good at my job, which really helps. We got to cross train with the infantry, mechanics, motor t, we did a little bit of everything. It's really your attitude that will make the difference, bust your ***, learn all you can, and enjoy it. And btw, I tried to get a tanker seat, but got sent to artillery. They'll put you where they want you. Good luck though, and keep us posted with how things go!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro52R
OK, I kinda narrowed it down to Tanker or Air Crew.

Does anyone have any experience in air crew?
i work with a lot of huey crew chiefs in my mos 6154. h-1 airframes mech. what questions do you have? oh and to the guy who said the wing doesnt deploy that often he's either crazy or a boot. we deploy every 11 months for 7 months.

Last edited by jsteele90; 11-08-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Teching In

you can't enlist as EOD in the Corps, they require E5.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was 3533. Served from '98-'02.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

DUDE!!!!!!
do u know how to weld or want to??
ask to be a 1316 its a really skate job but we get to do everything but u should look into it!!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear aircrew school is pretty intense. Alot of swimming and such.

I was curious. If your school isn't far from your home. Can you drive to your school? Not having a vehicle would suck on the weekends and such, if you are aloud to go about that is.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Aircrew can be a great time, however can get boring also. Also swimming is key, you can enlist as a crew chief but if you don’t get a minimum of CWS1 in boot you can be dropped out of the MOS and sent to another Aviation MOS. Check into other 6XXX MOS fields as some in the 61XX can offer the opportunity to become an AO (not sure about 62XX fields) which gives you the ability to fly and be put on flight status without holding the crew chief MOS, and sometimes you can squeak by with a CWS2 qual. Oh and to the guy that said the wing doesn’t go anywhere much.......What are you ******* high?? I don’t know the rotation of the west coast but east coast and Okinawa sends out a pump every 6 months in addition to ground deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan, HOA and don’t forget about the yearly combined forces exercises in Korea, Thailand, and Philippians as well as any humanitarian missions that come along.

6123 Mar 03-Mar 08
Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

im an 0811 and in 29palms i love life. ive been here close to 4yrs also. arty u dont do dhit unless in the field
Old 11-22-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok. Well once again I get a big let down.

My recruiter thought my waivers for traffic tickets and marriage have been approved. Wrong! So now I am just upset.

They told me I have a good chance that I can go reserves. And there won't be a need for my waivers then. Then once I check in I can put a package in for going active.

Now I don't know what to do. I was going to try the Army and get a recruiter who knows the system pretty well and go active in the Army. I really wanted to be a Marine. But Army is always good to.

So my question is. What would any oone of you guys do?

I mean seriously. I want to join pretty bad. And keep being let down. I don't need to join but for someone who Wants to serve and not doing it for a easy out or a paycheck. I'm getting dicked around.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you like high tech and go fast, I'd go with air wing.The officers treat you better also.Speaking from my personal experiences.I did, and made some life long friends (got to wrench on my car, too).It helped with my civilian career, I never looked back.Wasn't married then tho. $.02
Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro52R
Ok. Well once again I get a big let down.

My recruiter thought my waivers for traffic tickets and marriage have been approved. Wrong! So now I am just upset.

They told me I have a good chance that I can go reserves. And there won't be a need for my waivers then. Then once I check in I can put a package in for going active.

Now I don't know what to do. I was going to try the Army and get a recruiter who knows the system pretty well and go active in the Army. I really wanted to be a Marine. But Army is always good to.

So my question is. What would any oone of you guys do?

I mean seriously. I want to join pretty bad. And keep being let down. I don't need to join but for someone who Wants to serve and not doing it for a easy out or a paycheck. I'm getting dicked around.
He might be lying to you about something. Im a Marine recruiter, if you want to pm me your so called needed waivers, I can tell you if everything looks legit. Your married with 1 kid? Asvab score ect? He might be trying to sell you into a different job if what you want isnt available ect ect.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

I've been to air crew school, that being said...

Swim Qual has nothing to do with getting dropped out of the MOS.

I only got Class 3 in boot camp, then went through MCT and then ended up in Pensacola, Fl.

While in Pensacola, FL you do ALOT of swimming. Regardless of what you learned in boot camp or how you swam, the Navy instructors down there will teach you how to swim "correctly" according to the Navy and not the Marine Corps.

Upon arrival to Pensacola, you will have 2 weeks of basically checking in, getting stupid required classes on things like sexual harassment, drinking and what not. AFter these 2 weeks, you move into the air crew barracks with the Navy, which is right around the corner.

Air Crew begins with a week of Navy swim training. These do not count as training days or days towards graduating,

Within this week, you will learn all the strokes, and how to jump off the 16ft dive tower. Afraid of jumping/heights? I was.

After your first week, you will "class up" and be assigned a class number and be mixed in with Navy guys.

Week 1 "In-Doc" week, medical stuff, swim test, and some physical training.
Week 2 "Hell" Week. PT twice a day, and swim twice a day. You will go through numerous swim qual tests, to include jumping off the tower in flight suit, boots, gloves, and then staying under water and swimming the length of the pool, and also swimming 1 mile continuously without stopping.
Week 3 "Disney Week" You go on ALL the fun rides, G-force spinner, getting lifted up by an actual helicopter and doing the 20ft drop and dunk tank to try and swim your way out blind folded.
Week 4 "Tom Cruise" week. Congratulations, you made it. You get orders as to what helo/plane you will be working on, and you get ur flight suit and leather jacket and aviators issued to you. You go Tom Cruise, you made it!

Yeah, right. You go straight to SERE school, Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape. Its 2 weeks longs, they will beat the crap out of you, break your bones, etc. I never made it this far, but you are under SWORN OATH to never talk about what happens at the school, you can only give a general idea to people.

After Sere, you go to your mechanics school, then your flight school.

School is about 1 year long, requires a 5 year contract. I DROPPED from Air Crew school. All hell broke loose and the MARINE CORPS CHOSE my new MOS. But, lucky for me, I had strings to pull and used them.

I am currently a 2111, "gun Monkey" If it shoots, I fix it. And I can build you a complete AR-15 in under an hour.

Your first 2-3 years will SUCK!!! Being a Pvt, PFC, and LCpl will be the worst. I am a Corporal now, E-4 with 3 yrs in. Let me tell you, BAH, BAS, and all that crap DOES NOT MEAN MORE MONEY. It's gov't funs for you to get food, place to live, etc etc, and they expect you to use it. You can become a geobachelor, meaning your wife does not live with you, and yes you can pocket the cash and live for free on base, but it will be MISERABLE!

If you need any advice or what not, let me know. My father just retired after being a CWO-4 for 14yrs, with a total of 34 years time in service in the Marines. As I've said, I've been in 3 years, I am married, live off base, and am a Corporal, DYING paycheck to paycheck, so if you need a reference, let me know.

Even if your MOS cannot help you in the civilian world, you have a GI BILL which will get you into schooling!

If I could go back in time and NOT JOIN the Marine Corps, I would. But, as much as the Marine Corps has sucked for me, I met my wife, and found my Trans Am IN THE SAME DAY, so it isn't that bad.

It will change you forever, for better or worse...

Quick Reply: OK...Marine MOS. Experience/Opinions