Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

OK...Marine MOS. Experience/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some horrendous information there DOR guy..
Old 12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Teching In

First off to those that say wingers don't go anywhere, then you're an idiot! Especially if you're in a Skids unit, better known as a Cobra/Huey unit. You'll be seeing desert just about every 6-7 months for 6-7 months until Obama pulls us out, but with the recent Afgahn deal don't count on that being any time soon. If your ASVAB is good enough then I would definately say go wing for something you can use later on in life. And if you want to be high speed in the wing then go with an HMLA (cobra/huey) unit, you'll go places. And for a lot of fun and good time in the Corps 6531 is an awesome MOS. Aviation Ordnance Technician, but make sure you go O level (operations level) Ordnance. If you gain the respect of your shop and learn your **** you can work on getting your Plan Captain and become an AO (airial observer), it's just like air crew, you get to man a gun on the huey and repair weapons systems if they go down. The only draw back is you don't get high speed training like SERE school but you get to go into the ****. Unlike other aircraft that require runways and tarmac helos can land and go anywhere, unless the pig you're on is to heavy and the air is to thin. Even if you don't go AO in the ordnance community you'll still be loading, downloading, arming, dearming weapons systems, configuring aircraft, troubleshooting and repairing ancient but very technical weapons systems ( you can even cross train with Aviation Electricains, get additional qualifications that help you out further in the civilain world, thats called Fire Control Shop ), performing weapon systems' test, removing and replacing and inspecting weapon systems' components, and best of all, you still get to go to the crappiest bases home and abroad that other aircraft can not occupy. Hope this helps. Also as far as the reserve part goes. You can go reserve and put in an active duty package, and if you're a good Marine then your shop heads (in ordnance there is always an Officer with a little pull) will help get you there. You can also request to go overseas with other units if you're reserve and your unit is stateside until your package goes through. There are a lot of options to look at, but for better information about the reserves I would try to find a prior service recruiter at a reserve unit that can tell you more about it. Hope I helped in some way. I was an Ordnance and Fire Control CDI for a while during my 6 years in. There are tons of doors to be opened in our community but you have to ask for and earn it. I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Hey, I had some fun too man. And I was stuck in 29 Palms for 4 1/2 years! Like I said, I didn't mean to sound like a downer. The Corps will probably be the funnest time of my life. I did tons of crazy **** in there.
I feel your pain. I was there in 29 for 3 years. lots of drunken bon fires out at the dry lake bed
Old 12-19-2009, 01:52 AM
Teching In

well if you want to go the tanker route ive been a tanker in the marine corps for 6 years. i love my job but on the same note you are very limited on where you can go. there are only 2 active duty stations and they are located on camp lejeune and 29 palms. its a fun mos and the deployents are starting to slow down since there are no tanks in afghanistan. my sister is in the airwing and her work environment is alot more relaxed and shes only been deployed once vise 4 for me. ive only been in about a year longer than her. promotions in the tank community are pretty quick as well. i picked up sgt in 4 years but have friends that have gotten it in less than 3. if you have any questions shoot me a pm man.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i_wanna_ws6
my sister is in the airwing and her work environment is alot more relaxed and shes only been deployed once vise 4 for me. ive only been in about a year longer than her..
if you dont mind me asking what squadron is she with that has only deployed once in 5 years? i would LOVE to be in that unit!!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sry...Haven't updated this in awhile.

I went reserves and I'm a 3531 (not much to choose from)

I'm going to try for active eventually though...long story
Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Teching In

im not sure what squadron shes in she was in oki for her first three and is tad to 2d meb which is the only reason she deployed. ill send her an email and find out for u.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Teching In

if you dont mind me asking what squadron is she with that has only deployed once in 5 years? i would LOVE to be in that unit!!!!

mcws-28
Old 12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT1T/A
Just dont be an 0811 or you'll hate life
i second that, so gay
Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

YAT YAS:nod
Old 12-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Launching!

My MOS was 6153/6152, Airframes/Hydraulics/Pnuematic tech on CH-53E and and CH-46E. I also went "homegrown" enlisted aircrew. Best 5 years of my life so far........... really enjoyed it while I was in, wish I wouldnt have gotten out now- been 9 years now.

Quick Reply: OK...Marine MOS. Experience/Opinions