Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Fed up, may need advice/help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fed up, may need advice/help

So I've been in the military for about 6 years now (3 years active, about 1 1/2 in the reserve and 1 1/2 in the national guard). I am having a HUGE problem IST'ing from TN NG to the PA NG. As odd as it sounds, I have not drilled for a little over a year now. I put in for an IST as I was about to move from Tennessee to Pennsylvania, as my old unit was deploying (I wasn't deploying with them however, as I have a non-deployable profile). This was in September-October of 2008. Since then, they kind of just forgot about me. I have tried contacting the IST cordinators of both TN and PA, and they just keep forgetting about me and never call me back. What makes it even better is that I used to work for the IST cordinator for TN, right before I moved. I finally got tired of getting no where with the IST cordinators, so I just went to a local recruiters office and tried talking to a recruiter for help. Apparently all my local recruiters are just in the gig for numbers, because they were not interested in helping me at all, seeing how I wasn't looking to re-enlist (my ets date is xxAPR10).

I even took it one step further and since I work for the Army Corps of Engineers as a civilian, I talked to my district commander and he said he would take care of me. Yet here I am... still not drilling, getting closer to my ets date, and a rather large enlistment bonus still owed to me, that I can't bug anyone about because I have no one to process any of the paperwork for me.

So I figured I would post something up here, and hope that maybe someone here has some advice/a little pull to get this sorted out for me. I have no idea how I'm not considered AWOL by now.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

after that long with not showing up your records may have already gone inactive. It may take some communication beyond the squadron/wing level to get any answers...not just waiting on a phone call back from somebody. If you really want it you'll have to chase it hard though.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off to address the AWOL question, its just a mater of nobody starting the paperwork. Some guard units are bad about that and just let people come and go, others are quick to process paperwork. This situation happened to a friend in the past. The gaining Air Guard unit kept jerking her around in regards to in-processing. After about a year she decided to call a recruiter in another unit in the state and they were happy to take her, that is, until they found out that she had been discharged under other than honorable conditions for failure to show. It had been so long that her previous unit just discharged her and filled out the documents as though she was unavailable. They never even attempted to reach her.

With it having been over a year already, I would recommend that you aggressively pursue this. Its time to keep making calls until you get someone who can help (maybe your previous BDE S-1?). You might also try calling other recruiters until you find one that earns his/her paycheck. I've run into a few really bad ones, but I've also worked with some great ones.