Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Any AF prior enlisted O's in here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any AF prior enlisted O's in here?

I'm looking for a little help putting an OTS package together. I'm in Afghanistan, but want to get it started as soon as I get home late next month. With what's going on at Pope, I don't have much help. I'm looking for someone with a little experience putting this type of package together to maybe give me a hand putting my own together. I'm an E-5, been in for 7 years, have my CCAF degree and a BAS, and am currently full time with my MBA through Norwich University. Any help would be awesome. I already have the 45 page instructions off the AF Portal.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was prior enlisted before I went to the officer side.

There is a lot involved. Your best bet would be to get ahold of your education office back at Pope.

Not sure if you are aware of some of the qualifications, but you already have the 4 year degree out of the way, so that is one.

Depending on what kind of officer you want to become will determine on a lot. For example, if you want to become a Navigator the age requirement is different than if you wanted to become a doctor or lawyer. Doctors, lawyers and a few other officer positions actually go through a program called "COT" (Commissioned Officer Training"). Its a pretty sweet deal as you come in already commissioned (sometimes as a Captain or a Major).

Others go through OTS like I did. There are lots of specifics again depending on what you want. Off the top of my head, I know the AF Form 56 is the basis of your application.

Depending on what specific job you are looking for, I may be able to offer more assistance to you.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CALL911
I was prior enlisted before I went to the officer side.

There is a lot involved. Your best bet would be to get ahold of your education office back at Pope.

Not sure if you are aware of some of the qualifications, but you already have the 4 year degree out of the way, so that is one.

Depending on what kind of officer you want to become will determine on a lot. For example, if you want to become a Navigator the age requirement is different than if you wanted to become a doctor or lawyer. Doctors, lawyers and a few other officer positions actually go through a program called "COT" (Commissioned Officer Training"). Its a pretty sweet deal as you come in already commissioned (sometimes as a Captain or a Major).

Others go through OTS like I did. There are lots of specifics again depending on what you want. Off the top of my head, I know the AF Form 56 is the basis of your application.

Depending on what specific job you are looking for, I may be able to offer more assistance to you.
I'm already 29...will be 30 in June. I'm a 130 crew chief, and have been considering the idea of a mx officer, but am also considering airfield ops officer and contracting officer. So no doctor, pilot, or lawyer for me.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SS:ZEUS
I'm already 29...will be 30 in June. I'm a 130 crew chief, and have been considering the idea of a mx officer, but am also considering airfield ops officer and contracting officer. So no doctor, pilot, or lawyer for me.
Unfortunatly I don't have the answer for your age. I know that the hard limit for some of the older officer jobs are at like 32 or 33, however applying to a board, having the board meet (usually only twice a year), them deciding on you, and then giving you a date, and then going usually takes some time (usually at least a year). This is a question for Pope's education office to handle, however I know that if you are not too old already, you are going to be pressed to get in, at least a bit (I was in the same boat).

Get all the info on absolutely everything you are going to need. Usually there is a lot more involved than just the AF Form 56. Have you taken the AFOQT yet? You will need to, and will need to quickly, as well as anything else you need, like a possible letter of reccomendation from an officer. Get in touch with your education office, and if you run into snags, get in touch with someone who can help you and get answers quickly. If you have to wait on something maybe as long as just 6 months, it might be too late.

Another opportunity would be to talk to Guard and Reserve bases that you might consider being an officer at. The Guard and Reserve spots might be another alternative as their officer boards meet more frequently than active duty, and that may get you in on time if age is coming that close to being a factor.

Quick Reply: Any AF prior enlisted O's in here?