Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

advice about going back in

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default advice about going back in

i was in the marine corps from 2002-2006 as an 0311. i got out as a corporal. one of the main reasons that i got out was to try and get into law enforcement. i havent had any luck with that so far. next week ill be getting laid off for the second time this year. im going to go talk to the recruiter after i get laid off and see what he says about going back in. are they still offering bonuses and how much? i have two kids now so i was thinking about trying to change my mos but i dont know what to. if i go back in it will be for another 16 or more. im just sick and tired of getting laid off.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by puggerton03
i was in the marine corps from 2002-2006 as an 0311. i got out as a corporal. one of the main reasons that i got out was to try and get into law enforcement. i havent had any luck with that so far. next week ill be getting laid off for the second time this year. im going to go talk to the recruiter after i get laid off and see what he says about going back in. are they still offering bonuses and how much? i have two kids now so i was thinking about trying to change my mos but i dont know what to. if i go back in it will be for another 16 or more. im just sick and tired of getting laid off.
Good luck with that. I was recently on 5 weeks of recruiter's assistance (I am a Marine Sgt) because I got flagged for recruiting, and I wanted to get my feet wet a little and see if I can get sent to a specific area. They don't seem to be too hot on taking any prior service guys right now (unless they were something like intel, liguists, recon, EOD, ect, I am sure they would reconsider). Joke around a lot of the recruiting offices is "Once a Marine, always a Marine... until you get out..." These guys wouldn't mind taking you, but the higher levels seem to be saying no. If you are still on IRR, you might want to activate into the reserves, and see if you can stay activated. After that, you might be able to switch over to the real Marine Corps, active duty FMF. Not sure if 03's are still hurting for NCOs, if so, that might help you. Might help you to look into some of the occ fields they really need, but not sure. It is looking like, for the most part, the only way to get back on active duty is to back door it through the reserves.
They aren't even taking too many high school grads, they seem to prefer grabbing them early on in thier Sr year.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to try and go back in, study up for the ASVAB. Nothing wrong with being a grunt, just doesn't have much to offer on the out side.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got back into the navy several years ago after being out for 2 years. It's true that it is a nut roll and they are really only looking for certain rates. They hated tattoo's and were even giving me a hard time for a tattoo that I had gotten while I was still in the military before I got out. I'm not sure if studying for the asvab will do you much good, as I can't remember taking any tests to get back in, except **** tests. Still though, I was able to walk back in, really no questions asked and received a bonus, granted it was only half of what I would have received had I stayed in... Every little bit helps though. Also kept the same rank. If someone tells you no, and you really and truly want back in, go find someone else to ask. Can't hurt.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by puggerton03
Try a training MOS. I'm Army and I came back in as a 00G (OPFOR), and we basically train other units to go to the box, but at a brigade level. Since we work with civilians, we even have pretty legit job offers as civilian contractors when we get out. Again, that's how it's worked out for me in the Army, but I'd bet the Marine Corp has similar positions I think you should shoot for.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

recently i went into a marine recruiters office in Virginia (i'm active navy btw) to see if i could switch branches when i got back from afghanistan next year. He said it wouldn't be difficult at all...there were more than a few guys that did it last year. He said the easiest time is in October, at the start of the new fiscal year.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=lt1 hawk;12586543] If you are still on IRR, you might want to activate into the reserves, and see if you can stay activated. After that, you might be able to switch over to the real Marine Corps, active duty FMF. It is looking like, for the most part, the only way to get back on active duty is to back door it through the reserves.
QUOTE]

The "real marine corps" "back door it thru the reserves".... what a joke...
Everyone that stepped on the yellow footprints is a marine no matter how they serve. You have guys that do their one weekend a month doing active duty jobs right now in afghanistan and Iraq, and they still come home to hold a job down or go to school. Seems like to me they are doing "real" marine corps work.

To the OP... Try different recruiters, or see a prior service recruiter at your local reserve center to get the most help. Your best bet from my expirence is to start drilling as a reservist and lat move to an MOS where marines are needed, then augment to active duty. Another option is to go AR, and you could fill I&I billets anywhere.You could still always talk to a recruiter and get right back to active duty, just takes time or luck sometimes.

Good luck, and don't give up.

Quick Reply: advice about going back in