Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

help shipping a car to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help shipping a car to Alaska

i got to my first duty station (FT. Richardson) in Aug. 08. the army paid to have my truck shipped up to Alaska. i deployed in Feb 09 and bought a 98 z28 out here. i will be home in about a week or so. my question is, is there any way to get the army to pay to have my car shipped up to Alaska. if not what is a good company to ship my car?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

I just got out and I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright AK. If they shipped your truck already they wont ship the car. You are authorized to drive one and ship one. But you should like Ft Rich. Anchorage is nice. Very nice car scene and VERY VERY nice track in palmer about 15-20 miles from Ft. Rich. I was stationed in alaska for 5 years. I tried like hell to get to rich never happened. Anyways just shop around with the shipping companies. My advice is get a snow machine SOON. You will have a blast and it snows a **** load in anchorage. Let me know if you have any questions I will help as much as I can. Are you 4-25 airborne or another unit?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

i am with 4-25. i cant wait to see the summer in anchorage. i am sure that the sun being up most of the day will get me into trouble...lol
Old 02-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

Yes it does!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

bump!!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I will say is be careful. The VPC shipped my car up here to Kodiak and blew out everything in my bellhousing (slave and pressure plate). It sounds like you are going to have to do it yourself though. You are entitle to drive one and ship one like AlaskaBlack said. Driving a Fbody up Alaska1 isn't the best idea though, but can be done if you want to go that route which truthfully would roughly cost about the same as shipping it if you could take leave for it. I would try and find the cheapest quote you can. Also if you have the ability, put a 2000rpm rev limit on it so they can't beat on it like they did mine just in case. Prices for parts are INSANE up here. They wanted $234 for a slave cylinder at the Chevy Dealer next to Elmendorf.

Quick Reply: help shipping a car to Alaska