Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unacceptable.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

So what was done with the flag after the incident is a better way to show how customs are handled instead of an apology? Well?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Unacceptable.
Agreed. This is the real world. You don't get to do shocking things and then apologize to make things all better.

That first "apology" -- and I use that term with disgust -- let us know how Scott really feels about the matter. I'm only 29 years old and have never served in the military. I don't consider the basic, common respect of Old Glory to be some archaic, esoteric "custom," and I take the haughty, arrogant reply to the outrage as an added insult.

I have no use for GMHTP, am sorry I supported the magazine wholeheartedly and recommended it to everyone in the past, and will never, ever do so again.

Also, I won't reply in this thread again either as I've said my piece.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guess my issue is slow, I dont have it yet, but that first attempt at an "apology" struck a cord with me as said above. I am not in the military but would never treat an American flag in the manner described or justify it is a difference in expression and call it an old custom... Everyone gets one second chance in my book, so I wont be going as far as canceling my subscription.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

that truly is unacceptable!! its bad enough that GMTHP barely makes the shelves every month, especially when its only 20 pages in each magazine, then to put our nations flag on the ground is truly unacceptable.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

As the photographer I take full responsibility. Justin (and Tune Time) had nothing to do with it. Clearly this was not meant as a sign of disrespect, however, I am aware of this custom and should have known better. We sometimes forget how much customs mean to people, as they largely make up our culture. However, there is nothing more American than the various ways in which we show our Patriotism and our opinions on what that is exactly. Our ability to express ourselves, our beliefs, our opinions, etc (free from persecution) is the very reason this country was founded.

You can expect a longer explanation and apology in an upcoming issue, however, for now please understand that it was not our intention to offend...especially those who have fought for this country.
You call that BULLSHIT an apology? Sounds more like indignation to me.

Until I read that, I chalked the whole thing to you just being a moron. Now I see the problem is much deeper.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

I've been a loyal subscriber to GMHTP for 7 years and I truly do not believe the error was intentional. Over that time, the "vibe" that I have felt from the magazine and it's staff was that they are red blooded Americans who share our passion for American late model muscle cars. More specifically, GMHTP has always tried to feature cars belonging to military service members, including the Black T/A in that same issue.

Bottom line is they made a bone-headed mistake that none of us ever would. I think they had a momentary case of head up *** when setting up that photo and it just didn't click that they were disrespecting the flag.

We've all have a brain lapse from time to time and even if one of our brain lapses would never consist of throwing the flag on the ground, we have to recognize that's what it was... just a brain fart.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pissed. But let's recognize that there was nothing intentional behind the photo.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

"However, there is nothing more American than the various ways in which we show our Patriotism and our opinions on what that is exactly. Our ability to express ourselves, our beliefs, our opinions, etc (free from persecution) is the very reason this country was founded."

That is what liberal hippies say. So you mean to tell me that there could be future articles showing disrespect in the name of "Free Speech"? OMFG I am so mad right now.

ARE YOU GONNA HAVE A FUKING ARTICLE ON FLAG BURNING NEXT? WTF!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Must have started out as an idea... American Racing Headers = American theme = add a flag = added a flag in an inappropriate way.

Scott and the guys feel real bad about it, I'm sorry too.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
****. You.

^Just me "expressing myself." You know, "nothing more American" than that.
You're being a *****. Regardless of reasoning they made a mistake. As is human nature. They have also sincerly apoligized for the mistake and doing whatever is needed in their power to make it right. I believe some tact might be in order from the rest of as well.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
...Regardless of reasoning they made a mistake. As is human nature. They have also sincerly apoligized for the mistake and doing whatever is needed in their power to make it right. I believe some tact might be in order from the rest of as well.

AnnivSS: I agree with you. This thread was started to bring the issue to the attention of others, that we might voice our opinion as a group in order to ensure that GMHTP would see their error.

To all concerned: GMHTP has voiced their side and stated that they will apologize I would suggest that we stop attacking GMHTP and wait to see what kind of statement they are willing to publish. If it is truly an apology let it lie. We are all guilty of making dumb mistakes. If it is just some weak attempt at appeasing us, then use your best judgment as to whether or not you will ever support them again.

Once again, thank you to all who have voiced your opinion!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Faze
AnnivSS: I agree with you. This thread was started to bring the issue to the attention of others, that we might voice our opinion as a group in order to ensure that GMHTP would see their error.

To all concerned: GMHTP has voiced their side and stated that they will apologize I would suggest that we stop attacking GMHTP and wait to see what kind of statement they are willing to publish. If it is truly an apology let it lie. We are all guilty of making dumb mistakes. If it is just some weak attempt at appeasing us, then use your best judgment as to whether or not you will ever support them again.

Once again, thank you to all who have voiced your opinion!
True, and what's done is done. Let them live with their mistakes and see what happens.

-SS
Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

I too am waiting for the full blossomed apology. Although I do somewhat agree, that this is beyond a serious business mistake. Some of you don't feel that way, and thats fine... You won't ever stand beside me though... To me, allowing this to make it through all the editing steps shows the true nature. They're either completely lame brained or just have no respect for their country whatsoever... Lucky for me I've never subscribed to the magazine...
Old 04-04-2010, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
You call that BULLSHIT an apology? Sounds more like indignation to me.

Until I read that, I chalked the whole thing to you just being a moron. Now I see the problem is much deeper.

Agree 100%.

I can accept a mistake. Many that have never served have no idea about the customs/respect concerning the flag. Ignorance is not an excuse but can be forgiven. To me....the apology was worse than the act.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm a military member, and I understand handling the flag correctly, and know that that is something that should never be done. But jesus christ some of you guys are going a little overboard with this..

Chill.

Found a pic of it
Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

I say thanks for the apology, But please before anyone decides to use the American flag for anything that it isnt intended for please consult with those who proudly serve/served this country. I understand the idea behind it. But is disrespectful. I will still continue to get the Magazine and install my ARHs once I recieve them. I joined to defend democracy, not dictate it. And all those who Seek refuse from other government. Its just propoganda people. A mistake and they are trying to fix it. Now if anything-lets have the NEWS and our citizens go after the flag burners.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

I said what I had to say on FB. but I will say on here U all Fkd up and mand up to ur mistake. So therefore I forgive you all.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

Didnt see the pic untill now. Thats pretty shitty man. Atleast they did give an apology. I've raised and lowered that flag over in Iraq and here state side and the thought of it still gives me the chills. I see the logic of ARH headders and the American flag but poor judgement. That flag is draped over the caskets of all the fallen Marines, Soldiers and all other personell that gave their life and should never be treated with disrespect. Thank you for the apology and I look foward to reading the offical one in the next issue. Now the bonehead that did that **** gets to run a CFT with back to back PFT's...bet he wont do that again lol
Old 04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for your understanding. I am saddened by this event and its effect on our readers. We are all entitled to our opinions (what I was alluding to in the first apology), however, certain things like laws (or the Flag Code in this case) aren't up for debate. They are clearly defined, and when you cross the line there is no going back. All you can do is apologize. This was a mistake, one that we are all learning from and looking to put behind us. I hope that you can accept this apology and do the same.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be overseas next month when the new mag comes out but will be waiting to see how it turns out. Like said before poor judgement...

Quick Reply: GMHTP disrepects our flag!?