Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Hawaii or Germany?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still kind of early to tell according to my source.will know for sure around Oct.-Nov. timeframe or maybe even earlier.also ferry might comeback to serve island hopping again.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no ferry right now? So you have to take a plane everytime?
Old 04-18-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

we use to have 2 yrs ago but some a--hole activist started protesting about environmental empact study wasnt being done right and we lost it.yes to go outer islands its a 30min.plane ride to maui.kaui and the big island.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

I wonder if it is coming back? Apparently the security to protect the boat from the activists when it was in port costs the state way too much. I want to get myself and my dirtbike to some of the other islands so I can ride there....
Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Launching!

I'd say Germany man. Hawaii is a nice place to visit but to get stuck it , it kinda blows. The roads here are **** so unless your down on driving ur bike pos roads go for it. You do get nice COLA though so thats a plus and it does stay warm year round. Its crazy it dips in the low 60's and you are out in hoodies and such. I got 10 months on island, and I can't wait to leave. At least with Germany you have options on where to go what to do. Not so much here. If you are into outdoor sightseeing and stuff Hawaii has plenty of stuff to do though.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

We are planning two trips while we are there. New Zealand and the Philippines. It is just more expensive to do things but me and the wife make over 175K a year. I would say that if you are lower enlisted got to Europe because you can do more within your budget.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Launching!

I got my short sheet today so I think its going to be Hawaii for sure. Im just more excited about tropical paradise than traveling to many places I dont really have an interest in. I love the beach and the outdoors. I would much rather see an active volcano than sight see in Europe. To each his own though! Thanks again for all of the input. Is anybody there now in the weather squadron? And if so do you have any info or advice? Thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

mmmm Id give a left nut to go back to hawaii.... Traffic does suck there but hell have you ever tried to go through any MAJOR city during rush hour? It sucks as well. Hawaii Never got old to my family or I. Like anything it is what you make of it. If you like the beach then you are golden. COLA YES. You can google that as well on the amount.
You have a PM
Old 04-23-2010, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
I got my short sheet today so I think its going to be Hawaii for sure. Im just more excited about tropical paradise than traveling to many places I dont really have an interest in. I love the beach and the outdoors. I would much rather see an active volcano than sight see in Europe. To each his own though! Thanks again for all of the input. Is anybody there now in the weather squadron? And if so do you have any info or advice? Thanks

it seems thats your bottom line.you love the beach.then this place is for you.check us out @hifba.com and introduce yourself.see you around when you get here.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the 17th OWS! I am retired weather and work for the 17th off-site over at Pearl Harbor. Germany would have been an awesome assignment too, but Hawaii is not all bad. This is my second time here for a total of more than 6 years. It has some shortcomings just like everywhere else. But if you like outdoor activities, hiking, beach, cruising, you be fine.

I would rate military housing here very good to excellent. You will live much better than most that live n the economy. Your housing will also be more conveniently located than most can afford also. Stuff I took for granted when on active duty. You really won't have to deal with traffic day-to-day unless you elect to live off-base.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

ArmyOneSource.com should be able to show you whatever you want to know about any given Army Base.

I spent 4 years in Germany ('98-'02), in Hawaii now, and am about to go back to Germany this summer. Both places are Awesome! As stated above, you will have a much better opportunity for travel in Germany (a once in a lifetime opportunity if you will).
I LOVE to travel so yeah, I've gotten a little "cabin fever" here in Hawaii but there is ALOT to do here if you get out and look for it. The people here are (for the most part) very laid back and easy going. Except for that 35th SS guy. LOL Just kidding mang.

If I had to choose, I'd say go to Germany first then head to Hawaii afterward, but that only because they are slowly shutting down more and more bases in Germany and Hawaii will always be there.

Scott

P.S. Hey Matt, how are ya? Haven't heard from you in awhile.

As long as you and your family are open minded you will love both places. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 AM
TECH Addict

hey watch it.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Guess the location depends on what you want. Spent 4x years in Hawaii. Yep, the island is small, but there was always something to do. The weather was spectacular year round too.

Been in Germany 3 weeks now. Weather is cold and crappy. Lots of cool stuff to see though that you will never see in the US of A.

BTW, you get paid COLA in both locations. As for convenience, Hawaii is easier to live in. Too much BS and beurocracy in Germany getting things done (for example, I am still working through the red tape to get my damn electric bill without paying 19% German VAT tax.) In Hawaii you're "overseas" but still in the US. It cuts down on a lot of stupid.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Launching!

^^^^^ Thanks, thats another thing I didnt want to have to deal with. Especially being at my first duty station. Very good feedback though, thanks for all the advice!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Schantin
Guess the location depends on what you want. Spent 4x years in Hawaii. Yep, the island is small, but there was always something to do. The weather was spectacular year round too.

Been in Germany 3 weeks now. Weather is cold and crappy. Lots of cool stuff to see though that you will never see in the US of A.

BTW, you get paid COLA in both locations. As for convenience, Hawaii is easier to live in. Too much BS and beurocracy in Germany getting things done (for example, I am still working through the red tape to get my damn electric bill without paying 19% German VAT tax.) In Hawaii you're "overseas" but still in the US. It cuts down on a lot of stupid.
Sup Phil! when you comin back to Paradise.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 35th SS
Sup Phil! when you comin back to Paradise.
Hi Rex. It'll be awhile. I'm in Europe for at least 3 years. Come up on retirement after that. Hawaii is an option, but will probably go back to Virginia.

BTW, run the cars at Maui or the big island lately? I found out that for about $35 you can run on the famed Nurburgring.... which is 45 minutes from my house. That will be my "new track" for the time being

Take care.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Cool,nicee seen your other thread about goin to Germany.have fun crack wide open that bugga up on the straightaway and hang on.
Couple of us last year went to maui got on the superferry for the weekend and made some runs.came out of the hole lifting the front a few inches on the 35th SS but had to abort due to windshield fogging up couldnt see ****.prolly high humidity.but we had fun.too bad no more ferry.we might have somethin next year.enjoy yourself in Europe Phil.

Quick Reply: Hawaii or Germany?