Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Can anyone give me some advice on joining the USAF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jobs are there, the military is just in a a position at this point (due to force shaping) that they can be more selective. Gone are the days of, "well I've been dirt bag for the last couple years after high school with my drugs, tickets, and DUI, time to get focused, maybe I'll join the military".

I don't see the Air Force as the "Chair Force" any longer either. Those days are gone as well, and PT isn't getting any easier.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as the recruiter said, there are jobs, and always will be jobs available in the USAF. Now, "what" jobs are available would be the question to ask.

The Air Force is getting harder and harder to get in. Raised ASVAB scores, little to no bonuses for coming in certain career fields, more PT standards, and more strict criminal and background check standards than before are all part of the Air Force's way of trying to pick the best new recruits.

I love the Air Force and all it has given me, and I have given it a lot as well. But it isn't for everyone, and the single most important decision lies within what you will be doing for the military.

All jobs aren't for everyone. There are a lot of them out there that only a few poeple who do them are actually happy with doing them. Unfortunatly those are most of the jobs available today. Most of them are services, security forces, and maintenance.

Services does everything from cooking food for people, to handling human remains, to passing out basketballs at the gym.

Security forces mostly means you will stand at a guard shack for 12 hours a day checking people's ID's to get on base.

Maintenance is another long hours and hard work job.

All can be rewarding, and to certain individuals "the perfect job". But most once they get a taste of it hate it, and then just want to get out as soon as their committment is up.

I will say that the Air Force will treat you much better than all of the other branche's, but right now the jobs are going to be slim pickens.

The ideal situation would be to find a sweet job that you would love to do and have it be available. Do research, talk to other military members on here for advice in specific career fields, and go see that recruiter. He will lie to you and tell you how sweet some of the bad jobs are so he can fill the spot that is open, but he is also your way into the Air Force, so use him for that.

Good luck
Old 05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a thought guys. Is it any easier to get into the reserves than active duty?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Just Floor It
Just a thought guys. Is it any easier to get into the reserves than active duty?
Could say for sure, but I had a friend who enlisted in April of 09 and didnt ship until late Oct 09.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

It depends on what unit you are applying for. An Active Duty recruiter will have more jobs to fill than one specific unit looking to fill its specific hand full of jobs. However, in the guard and reserves it may be easier to find that specific job you are looking to get.

There are pros and cons about being in the reserve or guard compared to the active duty side. Most of the pros line up with the guard and reserve, but one thing active duty has over them is the fact you are garunteed to have a job 365 days a year (most people fail to realize this). On the Reserve or Guard side, you are only garunteed to work one weekend a month, other than that, they may not have anything for you, and its much more of a part time or almost no time gig, and you are pretty much looking for another job all together.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
It depends on what unit you are applying for. An Active Duty recruiter will have more jobs to fill than one specific unit looking to fill its specific hand full of jobs. However, in the guard and reserves it may be easier to find that specific job you are looking to get.

There are pros and cons about being in the reserve or guard compared to the active duty side. Most of the pros line up with the guard and reserve, but one thing active duty has over them is the fact you are garunteed to have a job 365 days a year (most people fail to realize this). On the Reserve or Guard side, you are only garunteed to work one weekend a month, other than that, they may not have anything for you, and its much more of a part time or almost no time gig, and you are pretty much looking for another job all together.
+1 On all said here. I'll caveat it with this and I can only speak to that which I know. In my career field as well as unit the time to get to training weather you are ANG or AD is about the same. Up to about a year but if you join to ANG you can start making a small pay check doing the one weekend a month thing. Granted you haven't been trained and your "drill" will be different than those who are mission ready but it's something to do.

On the flip side though, if you are interested in serving and want to do school full-time or have a flexible civilian career then the ANG/AF Res may be a good way for you to earn some extra money, get some extra benefits and what not while still being able to do whatever it is that consumes most of your time.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

i am active duty air force and i know they are doing a force reduction. basically they are kicking anyone out who has disciplinary or fitness issues.. it is easier to get into guard or reserve. for reserve i know you will get a signing bonus but you dont get as many of the benefits. active duty doesnt get a signing bonus (unless youre cct, tacp, jp, etc) but once youre in they pay for housing and food plus uniforms.. basically all of your necessities. the key is, like many have said, is finding a job you will like. i work maintenance and if you dont like working hard and turning wrenches then its not for you, simlpy becuz if you slack, then you put peoples lives in danger. no matter which way you choose, joining any branch will have its benefits and will be a good decision overall. do not go in open general or u will end up being a cop btw
Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Madellous
i work maintenance and if you dont like working hard and turning wrenches then its not for you, simlpy becuz if you slack, then you put peoples lives in danger.
mx has almost as many slackers as finance.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is really hard to join the USAF these days. Recruiters only have to bring in 1 maybe 2 peeps per month.

Times have changed so fast. When I was in, I got a bonus to join. My friends were re enlisting in the sand box at 6 years and got 60K. $60,000 dollars! That went poof real fast after stop loss was in place.

Good Luck to you!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Madellous
...for reserve i know you will get a signing bonus but you dont get as many of the benefits. active duty doesnt get a signing bonus (unless youre cct, tacp, jp, etc) but once youre in they pay for housing and food plus uniforms.. basically all of your necessities.
Just because you join the Reserves (or the Air Nationad Guard for that matter) does NOT mean you get a signing bonus. The Reserves and the Guard will pay for housing and food along with uniforms also.

I don't know where you are getting your info from, but it is wrong.

To the OP. Beware of some of the info that is being passed to you on here like this. It is not all entirely accurate.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
Just because you join the Reserves (or the Air Nationad Guard for that matter) does NOT mean you get a signing bonus. The Reserves and the Guard will pay for housing and food along with uniforms also.

I don't know where you are getting your info from, but it is wrong.

To the OP. Beware of some of the info that is being passed to you on here like this. It is not all entirely accurate.
This is very true, just be careful not to be misleading...someone who has no experience may take the ANG/AF Reserve paying for food and housing out of context. They do pay, but only when you are on orders or at a UTA.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Correct, and you make a good point. Perhaps I should have specified "how" they do for the OP or anyone else looking at this for info.

The ANG and Reserve pay for housing and food the same active duty does. However, as a Reservist or ANG member, you only get paid when you work unlike Active Duty which you are always working and getting paid full time. In simple terms, if you work 1 day out of the month, you will get paid for your base pay, and your housing, and your food (BAS) just for that one day, as if they were to break Active Duty pay into days instead of for the month. In the end, if you work a full month same as active duty would, then you get paid the same.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

you guys are correct. i had my info mixed up.. i talked to one of the ARTs at my shop and you guys are spot on

sorry for the incorrect info, i had my facts mixed up
Old 06-27-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The traditional high-demand career fields aren't the only ones that are on the chronic-critical shortage list. You can get a high-demand, lower-risk job by taking a peek at it if the recruiter has it. I haven't seen the CCS list in a while, my AFSC (1C5) was on it for a while.

Unless you're really struggling, I suggest choosing your job carefully, especially if you're trying to do 6. Also on the note of enlisting for 6, I was offered this option both at my recruiter's office and again when inprocessing for BMT at MEPS. I can't imagine why the 6-year option wouldn't be offered anymore.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Do not do anything w/ aircraft unless its Comm nav / GC or EW. I have friends that are making huge dollars at L3 Comm etc. Im a crew chief so I can talk I get fucked all the time I been getting screwed over for 13 almost 14 years. I would personally do something that will pay good on the outside. Do not do crew chief.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

CCT, PJ, SOWT, TACP, SERE, EOD

How would TACP make good money working in the civilian world ??
Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Default Do your research

Go onto the AF recruiting site, I think it's Airforce.com and read!!!!

Look at all the available jobs and read about them and figure out which one you would enjoy doing.

When you figure out what job you would like do more research and find out how many bases you can be stationed at with that particular job. For example if you become a linguist you can only be at a few bases compared to Networking sys which is needed at every base.

Find out where all the bases are located so you know for sure if you really want to be in because you will be away from friends and family.

I've been in the AF for six years now joining at 25 years old and it's been the easiest job I've ever had!!!! The check is guaranteed! The benefits are great. I've been injured and sick and have never worried about anything! I got Lasik for free as well! I just got selected for E-6 first time testing.

I now work for the White House and I travel all over the world staying in the best hotels supporting the President.

Overall do your research! When I went to the recruiter I told him what I wanted because I already knew what I needed to know!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brians91formula
CCT, PJ, SOWT, TACP, SERE, EOD

How would TACP make good money working in the civilian world ??
check out ROMAD.com
Old 06-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by moperider

I now work for the White House and I travel all over the world staying in the best hotels supporting the President.
now that sounds like some badass stuff, i'm jealous.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
check out ROMAD.com
Former/Retired TACPs are making bookoo money in the contracting world!

Quick Reply: Can anyone give me some advice on joining the USAF?